IEJuggalo

Motorcycles...

WERA Classes B, C, and D Superbike and Supersport from 1987 to 1991 # 505 in the Eastern Region.

That was when I was stationed in Fort Bragg NC.
I hung up the leathers in late 91 when I got sent to Alaska.

I still ride from time to time on the street for the pleasure, although right now I am just bike sitting a 600RR for a friend in Iraq.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

...anybody here ride/race? Dirt or street? I myself race desert in So. Cal. I feel safer skydiving than I do racing off-road. I have only gotten one desert racer to come out to skydive, and said he will never do it again.;). I dont know if it is a balls thing, or a kick thing. By the way, I still dont know why I even do this shit.:S I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!...Peace, Dean-O

100th Anniversary H-D Ultra Classic (photo at Sturgis, 2004).

Chuck

I've also found skydiving to be a bit more social I think due to the competitive nature of racing.

I suppose roadracing was always a more familiar sport, more mainstream and more competetive but the early days of MX were much different...especially in the amateur ranks. Most had no idea what motocross was and the non-spectator-friendly track layouts, kept it from being too popular. It was almost like a cult thing here, not as popular as in Europe. Supercross changed everything...it still somehow gets confused with "motocross".

Anybody here ever ride "observed trials"?
"T'was ever thus."

I raced Moto-X in UK from 1987 to 2004.

In 2004 I went to SoCal for some pre-season training / riding and ended up smashing both my wrists to bits at Glen Helen Raceway. :(

Ricky Johnson was my idol :$ closely followed by Guy Cooper and Donny Schmit.

BP
:)

Wow....my heroes were, like....Joel Robert, Roger DeCoster, Rolf Tibblin, Ake Jonsson, Malcolm Smith, Johnny O'mara, Brad Lackey, "Professor" Gary Bailey, Heikki Mikkola, etc. :)
"T'was ever thus."

Wow....my heroes were, like....Joel Robert, Roger DeCoster, Rolf Tibblin, Ake Jonsson, Malcolm Smith, Johnny O'mara, Brad Lackey, "Professor" Gary Bailey, Heikki Mikkola, etc. :)

DOOOD ! You left out Jim Pomeroy !

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I just bought a BMW R1200GSA about 6 wk. ago. I haven't ridden in about 20 yr. and then it was only a 250cc. I thought that I might have bitten off more than I could chew, but I took the MSF course and am starting to really get a feel for the bike.

I notice that you go through the same type learning curve as skydiving. A whole lot of shit is coming at you really fast and you have to make life saving decisions.

My biggest fear was/is entering flowing traffic from a side street.

I just bought a BMW R1200GSA about 6 wk. ago. I haven't ridden in about 20 yr. and then it was only a 250cc. I thought that I might have bitten off more than I could chew, but I took the MSF course and am starting to really get a feel for the bike.

I notice that you go through the same type learning curve as skydiving. A whole lot of shit is coming at you really fast and you have to make life saving decisions.

My biggest fear was/is entering flowing traffic from a side street.

It'll all come back. ;) When the wheels become an actual extension of your arms and legs....you're there. :)
"T'was ever thus."

DOOOD ! You left out Jim Pomeroy !

Well damn, can't name 'em all! :)

I saw Pomeroy do that huge jump in 72 on a 250 Bultaco Pursang.......bought the identical bike and raced moto and hare and hound thruout the 70s til Skydiving came along. ;)

bozo

I saw Pomeroy do that huge jump in 72 on a 250 Bultaco Pursang.......bought the identical bike and raced moto and hare and hound thruout the 70s til Skydiving came along. ;)

I never really understood hare & hound....isn't it basically an enduro? They go off in "minutes" and have checkpoints too, don't they?
"T'was ever thus."

I never really understood hare & hound....isn't it basically an enduro? They go off in "minutes" and have checkpoints too, don't they?

Yes...timed checkpoints.
Personally I loved the smoke races. They set a pile of tires on fire way across the horizon and you raced to that and on and on. The EPA and SCORE put an end to them.

bozo

I bought an 07 GSA back in March, 15k miles later I absolutely LOVE that bike! I was worried because it's the first non-sportbike I've owned, but honestly my Aprilia doesn't get 1/10th of the miles on it that it used to! I'm a Beamer fan now...

...hare & Hounds are not timed checks. It is a race that has two completely different loops with a pit stop in between. The loops are generally 38 to 58 miles long with the second loop much more difficult than the first. I am a member of the 100's M/C. Here is a link to a clip of what desert racing is about. I will get a couple more links of the starts when I find some. Enjoy...http://www.bbrraceday.com/d37

About the only desert stuff I ever kept tabs on were the Baja, the Barstow to Vegas and the Elsinore GP. I still remember Dr. Louis MacKey (hope I spelled his name right)....the "Phantom Duck Of The Desert" and how he took on the BLM and the Sierra Club. B| I think some of the BLM thugs are still in prison.

"T'was ever thus."

...where do you live that you can ride "mudd sand"? lol...what kind of ATV?

I live in western Washington and ride here for mudd, snow, and dry trails and in Oregon-mostly for sand or easternwashington-for sand but not as good as oregon

I have 2, my favorite is my 2000 honda 400ex-best for regular trails, & mudd and snow, and a 2005 yamaha 450yfz more power so better in the sand but also good in alll the other.
(I.C.D#2 VP)
"<3 ..Looks like breasts coming out of an ice cream cone. Mmmm."~John Mitchell
"I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

Nice! :)
That looks like a TT or half-miler, in the background of the 2nd pic! Woohoo....where's my "hot-shoe"?! :D

Thanks. There's a reason that guy on the TT was in the ditch :D. He was practicing for the "Classic" race the following day but was having a hard time getting out of the way of the big bores he he he...

Action©Sports

[reply I am a whore for horsepowerB|

I tried searching but couldn't find anything on this, on the net but....back in '82 or '83, I saw a couple pics of some "experimental" bikes. They were in either Dirt Bike or MX Action magazine, like a "secret photos" thing.

Some of Honda's engineers and mechs got together and kinda' on-the-side, built a CR900R and an XR1100F! The 900R was a V-Twin 2-stroke...2 '81 CR450R cylinders and it was on an '81 CR450R frame. The 1100R was a CB750 (street) engine, bored and modified into an 1100cc trenching machine. It had to have mag wheels, spokes spun out like spaghetti. I can't recall the hp ratings but they were huge! :)
"T'was ever thus."

[reply I am a whore for horsepowerB|

I tried searching but couldn't find anything on this, on the net but....back in '82 or '83, I saw a couple pics of some "experimental" bikes. They were in either Dirt Bike or MX Action magazine, like a "secret photos" thing.

Some of Honda's engineers and mechs got together and kinda' on-the-side, built a CR900R and an XR1100F! The 900R was a V-Twin 2-stroke...2 '81 CR450R cylinders and it was on an '81 CR450R frame. The 1100R was a CB750 (street) engine, bored and modified into an 1100cc trenching machine. It had to have mag wheels, spokes spun out like spaghetti. I can't recall the hp ratings but they were huge! :)
Sounds like Super Motard
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?