arai

flight suit as jump suit.

I'm planning on getting a real jumpsuit at some point, but for now I'm just looking at getting something inexpensive to start with. I'm 18 jumps into the sport so I've yet to really need a specific kind of suit, some jumps I try sit flying, backflying, etc some I work on my belly skills, and some I track.

I was thinking of going down to the local army surplus store and just picking up a pilot flight suit or something like that to be used for jumping.

unfortunatly the search is broken so I cant find if this question has been asked.

I havent seen it asked before and I'm guessing its because there is something obvious about the suits that makes them unsuitable? They seem like they would be close in fit to the student jumpsuit I've been borrowing when I'm at the dz

would something like that work or is there a reason that they would be inapropriate for jumping out of aircraft with?

thanks

-arai-

It'll work, but it won't be ideal for RW. You'll learn much faster with a proper fitting suit with grippers (and preferably booties, in my opinion). I've seen people wear flight suits (and tear the crap out of them since they aren't meant for 120 mph wind for very long), and they do much better with real RW suits.

Dave

I wear a military Nomex flight suit when I jump and have no problems with it. It fits well and is sturdy enough, despite the previous comment about being unsuitable because of wind blast. Mine has hundreds of jumps with no problem. Of course, if you don't have a mil-spec suit, but a foreign sloppy copy, I can see where the durability might not be there. Also the "not cool" factor from our "designer skydivers" may also be in play here.

Not saying it won't work, I'm saying it'll be easier to learn with a real RW suit that fits properly. And I'm sure they're sturdy when in good shape, but I've literally seen one shred in freefall. Grippers aren't for you, they're for the people you jump with. People like grippers for RW. And of course nobody NEEDS booties, but they can make things a lot easier. People used to wear big balloon suits for RW. Just because it can be done doesn't make it a good idea.

Dave

check out www.liquidskysports.com they make freefly suits and swoop pants, they also have some cool stuff still in development. most freefly suits are less baggy than they used to be and use thicker material, I belly fly with my freefly suit on all the belly jumps I do. the thicker material allows you to still have the drag you need without all the flapping of loose baggy material, which also makes it ok for belly flying. of course there is no booties, but they are not really needed unless your a hardcore competitive belly flyer.

of course julio would sew booties on your suit if you so desired.:D

The only issue I can think of is those plastic clips found on many flightsuits to hold paper/notepads to your leg. It would present a snag hazard. They should be easy enough to remove.

You could also try coveralls (the type mechanics wear), they should be cheap enough. Some DZ's use them for students.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

***100 jump wonder warning!***

like anything else, a suit designed specifically for what you're doing will help to a certain extent. what will help more, especially at 18 jumps (!) is to pick a discipline, one discipline, and work on it instead of back, sit and belly and trying to find a suit that will work well at all of them. i would think that even a hard core free flyer will tell you to stay on your belly for at least 50 jumps or so.

obviously, i don't know you or your abilities, maybe you only have 18 skydives, but you have 100 hours in a tunnel. ;)
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I jumped my dad's old Air Force flight suit for about 50 jumps until I got a custom RW suit. It was pretty awesome, but the wind exacerbated tears already in the suit, which means I had to sew it up once or twice. Otherwise, it worked just fine.

PilotDave has a point, though - my RW attempts in that suit were ill-advised. Getting a suit made for what you're trying to do makes doing it that much easier, and for us newbies, we need whatever help we can get. ;)
Well, the door was open...

Hey, your new at this sport so don't let these guys steer you the wrong way! Forget the RW its boring and grippers are for pussies. FREEFLYING is where it's at! RW is for old timers that have been in the sport too long to adapt, It is your grandfather's style of skydiving. Forget 120 mph, freeflying speeds can excced 200mph. It is by far more exciting, alot more challenging, and the learning curb is slower. It's the new school of skydiving. If you're a younger guy you'll relate more to freeflyers because it is predominatly the younger generation. Freeflying is to RW as snowboarding is to skiing. If you bought a motorcycle, would you buy a cruiser or a superbike? If you picked the crotch rocket then you're a freeflyer at heart. It's is called FREEflying for a reason. How bad ass is having the abillity to fly your body in any position on all axis with your 5 of buddys right there! How many people can say they shake hands inverted doing 190 mph? Only freeflyers! Does being stuck on you belly all the time, falling as slow as possible, and playing grab ass with a bunch of senior citizens in spandex sound like fun to you? If it doesn't then your probably a freeflyer at heart. Try RW only to learn the basics, and practice back flying! Don't get to serious with the RW or you'll get suck as a belly jumper.
So to finally answer you question if you want to learn freeflying all you need is some freefly pants and a long sleeve tee. I started with cargo shorts and long sleeve shirt. Also an audible altimeter is a must!

arai

A flight suit will be just fine for now.. until you learn what you need to fly with others.... learning to fly your body is what is all about. Flying with others.... then you may have to dress for success depending on your skill and the varying fall rates of others you are jumping with.

Atticus

Hey, your new at this sport so don't let these guys steer you the wrong way! Forget the RW its boring and grippers are for pussies. FREEFLYING is where it's at! RW is for old timers that have been in the sport too long to adapt, It is your grandfather's style of skydiving. Forget 120 mph, freeflying speeds can excced 200mph. It is by far more exciting, alot more challenging, and the learning curb is slower. It's the new school of skydiving. If you're a younger guy you'll relate more to freeflyers because it is predominatly the younger generation. Freeflying is to RW as snowboarding is to skiing. If you bought a motorcycle, would you buy a cruiser or a superbike? If you picked the crotch rocket then you're a freeflyer at heart. It's is called FREEflying for a reason. How bad ass is having the abillity to fly your body in any position on all axis with your 5 of buddys right there! How many people can say they shake hands inverted doing 190 mph? Only freeflyers! Does being stuck on you belly all the time, falling as slow as possible, and playing grab ass with a bunch of senior citizens in spandex sound like fun to you? If it doesn't then your probably a freeflyer at heart. Try RW only to learn the basics, and practice back flying! Don't get to serious with the RW or you'll get suck as a belly jumper.
So to finally answer you question if you want to learn freeflying all you need is some freefly pants and a long sleeve tee. I started with cargo shorts and long sleeve shirt. Also an audible altimeter is a must!

Hmm interesting... Last weekend. one of the tandem masters decided he wanted to do an 8 way speed star from the Porter.

He is one hell of a freeflyer.... and another kick ass TI and freeflyer who does 4 way belly was on the load. We had a bunch of newer jumps who describe themselves as freeflyers. The thing never did build into an 8 way.. I was out orbiting around watching the carnage ..people doing hard docks on the floaty base.. funneling each other going low.....etc..

Last year I went down to Eloy and for the Sunset Load Airspeed put together a little throw together 27 way.. with Craig Girard in the base across from me.... I looked out at the ends of the arms of the formation and there was Omar ....flying on his belly.... on the other arm was Gillian.... another freeflyer.... on her belly.. right there in her slot;)

Now there were at least a dozen world class freeflyers out there.. flying on their bellys.. and right where they were supposed to be...made for a fun jump to wrap up a long weekday of jumping.... nothing special.. just a lot of REALLLLLY GOOD flyers having fun.

So..... I have travelled a bit around the country.. and I have seen some serious flailing by a lot of newer jumpers.. that are not taking the time to master... some pretty basic aspects of this sport and learning how to fly their bodies... oh and me.. well I seem to be doing ok for a little old lady who has been jumping for a "few" years..

Just look for the red.

Oh.. by the way.. I made my first jump at Homestead.. in 1972

Jeanne D-4888 PMS # 84

Hey more power to ya sweety!;) But remember that Omar,Olav, ect. didn't get famous by flying belly! You're a freeflyer too, so your more with us than against us. I love the speedstar exit by the way, but once you've built a round it's time to start freeflying! For every freeflyer who lacks on his belly I'll show you 10 RW guys that can't freefly for the life of them.

Hey more power to ya sweety!;) But remember that Omar,Olav, ect. didn't get famous by flying belly! You're a freeflyer too, so your more with us than against us. I love the speedstar exit by the way, but once you've built a round it's time to start freeflying! For every freeflyer who lacks on his belly I'll show you 10 RW guys that can't freefly for the life of them.

"with us than against us"??? We are all "us" Brothers and Sisters.

Freefly: Controlled flight on any axis.

Re: Original posters question. You've got the right idea, save your money for jumping. There's plenty of clothing available of the shelf that's suitable and safe. {note: double check with instructors before you jump anything}.
Team Sonic: Jeans and T-shirts with grippers sewn on, competing at Nationals.
Enjoy the sport anyway you want to.

offtopic/ normaly statements like this one come from wannabe freeflyers only capable of random flying :P /offtopic
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Hey more power to ya sweety! But remember that Omar,Olav, ect. didn't get famous by flying belly! You're a freeflyer too, so your more with us than against us. I love the speedstar exit by the way, but once you've built a round it's time to start freeflying! For every freeflyer who lacks on his belly I'll show you 10 RW guys that can't freefly for the life of them.

Dont miss the point.. get comfy with your body in flight and learn to fly it in all attitudes... its not really a with us or agin us thing.... but the best flyers out there can do both....and do it really well...:ph34r:

offtopic/ normaly statements like this one come from wannabe freeflyers only capable of random flying :P /offtopic

Continuing off topic.

True, and wannabees that can't find their own identity and needs to manufacture some kind of 'group' they feel they wish they belonged to. Apparently 'skydiving' isn't exclusive enough for their shriveled egos....

Also, they tend to be incredibly uptight about how they fly, yet spend a lot of time talking about how 'not uptight' they are. The denial is amazing.

And with VRW coming, don't be surprised to see some grippers on FF suits. The competitive RW and FF suits are starting to approach each other. Just shows that ALL orientations are compatible with the right skill sets.

The best skydivers do a bit of everything - that's what's really free.

But then it really helps to own several kinds of suits until the transition is fully complete. (that includes unwashed and torn jeans and tie dye t-shirts for CrW dawgs - the true 'dark side')

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Don't forget the miss matched shoes! (for CReW dogs):P

Silly, CrW dogs can't afford shoes. That's perfectly good money that should go towards tequila.

tequila,.... and duct tape.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Jeanne,

Don't you just love it when they call you Sweetie? (and misspell it at that)

You will have to excuse him, 2 years and 300 jumps and he has it all figured out. Just wish he wouldn't list his profession as FF/PM, it reflects poorly on the rest of us have earned our living severing others.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

True, and wannabees that can't find their own identity and needs to manufacture some kind of 'group' they feel they wish they belonged to. Apparently 'skydiving' isn't exclusive enough for their shriveled egos....

My take: it's insecurity, and it's usually manifested in guys under 25 with less than 300 jumps. Once/If they spend a little more time in the sport they tend to chill out.

The best skydivers do a bit of everything - that's what's really free.

Yup. I really need to round out my abilities.

Jeanne,

Don't you just love it when they call you Sweetie? (and misspell it at that)

You will have to excuse him, 2 years and 300 jumps and he has it all figured out. Just wish he wouldn't list his profession as FF/PM, it reflects poorly on the rest of us have earned our living severing others.

Isn't it the truth...I hate hearing firefighters say stupid shit, I end up explaining for them way too much. Hell I have my own stupid shit to explain let alone some other jackasses stupid shit!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

I gotta give it to atticus , who cares about a bunch of old guys wearing gay ass RW jumpsuits smelling like ben gay ! Thats all these old timers can do is jump on there belly's , cuz if they did some free flying there arms would fall off . I dont think there old brittle bodies can take 170 mph , they would fall apart in mid air . I've seen 4 ways in action and theres nothing special about what they do . These guys put like 300 hours in the tunnel and make 800 jumps in a year doing the same routine . Rw is boring , but free flying is fun . So if your new in skydiving forget RW and Jump head first into Free Flying you won't regret it .