SpeedRacer

How old are you, and do you use a landline, cell phone, or both? (at home, not work)

Well, I remeber renting the phones and having a party line. I never made a phone, but I remember helping my best friend "fix her phone" so it wouldn't ring. We'd skipped school and didn't want the school to call her mom. We ended up taking the bell out, but it still made some noise. Busted!:)

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I am 48 and cell only. We got rid of the land line as soon as we got cable internet connection. I wonder how many people with land lines still use an answering machine or has voice mail done away with them?
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Instructions for making own phone:

2 empty soup cans small hole in bottom connect the two cans with a piece of string.

Insert string and tie a knot at each end

Caller talks into can and listener puts ear to other end.

Long distance home made phone's :)
No problemo Longer piece of string:ph34r:

Some of you all got cell phones:)
Kid want a cell phone from santa, gets a string phone.>:(:S

Telephone trivia

"Anyone remember when you HAD to rent the telephone from the phone company."

Yes (parents phone)

Anyone remember having a party line (Telephone speak)

Yes (parents phone) and I might add, a great form of entertainment for a six year old kid.:D

"Anyone remember the last time you used a rotary dial phone and the color."

Yes, the last time I remember using my beige rotary was being told by the telephone company that the phone would absolutely no longer be serviceable after ten days and it MUST be replaced by a keypad type phone.>:( Loved my rotary phone.:(

"Anyone remember making their own phone."

No, unless you consider two empty tuna cans and 50 feet of kite string a phone.

"Anyone remember not having a telephone."

Yes:o, another thing during my childhood that dad was too cheap to get (TV, air conditioning, car that wasn't 15 years old, washing machine, etc.) until mom threatened to "cut him off".:D

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Anyone remember when you HAD to rent the telephone from the phone company.

That's a sore spot in my family.

AT&T broke up in what ... 1983?

My grandfather died in 1992. He'd been managing his family's finances, so in preparation for handing all this over to my grandmother for the first time, my mother went through and did a mass cleanup of everything.

One of the things she realized was that not only did they still have a Big Black Brick (TM) phone that was hard wired into the wall, Grandpa had been continuing to pay the phone company $3 a month since the breakup even though you now had the option to buy a phone for $30 and call it a day. Naturally Mom immediately had the jack rewired and a new phone was purchased. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm one of the minority of young 30s, land-line only folks.

I had to turn in my 'CrackBerry' ... uh BlackBerry in August, and it's been darned nice not having an electronic tether. :)
VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Warning - irrational rant ahead.

Cell phones are the most annoying devices ever created by mankind. I commute to work, and once sat on the train listening to a woman talk to someone for 45 minutes on her cell phone about what kind of pizza they were going to order for dinner. I once listened to a doctor talk to someone about her patients on the cell phone for 45 minutes, so loudly everyone on the train could hear. These were personal, private details about various medical conditions that she broadcast to everyone on the train. I have heard lawyers talk about their clients, people talk about significant others... Cell phones, IMHO, have completely destroyed the concept of personal privacy. People today seem to feel free to tell the world about their personal lives, and the lives of their patients, clients, friends, and family, over the cell phone. I don't want to hear that stuff, folks. And the people you are talking to don't want the world to know whatever it is you are revealing. A little discretion goes a long way, folks.

End of rant. :)

My cell phone has an off button. I use it. It also has an "ignore" button that allows me to not answer an incoming call. I also use that. It's amazing how easy it is to continue to interact with people in front of you even though you have a cell phone.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Anyone remember when you HAD to rent the telephone from the phone company.

That's a sore spot in my family.

AT&T broke up in what ... 1983?

My grandfather died in 1992. He'd been managing his family's finances, so in preparation for handing all this over to my grandmother for the first time, my mother went through and did a mass cleanup of everything.

One of the things she realized was that not only did they still have a Big Black Brick (TM) phone that was hard wired into the wall, Grandpa had been continuing to pay the phone company $3 a month since the breakup even though you now had the option to buy a phone for $30 and call it a day. Naturally Mom immediately had the jack rewired and a new phone was purchased. :D

Karma is a bitch. Technology and competition is keeping some of the telephone service providers more honest.

Being able to change prociders and keep the same phone # was B|.
One Jump Wonder

Haven't had a land line in 7 years. Don't miss all those sales calls.

Land line, tele marketers>:(

I think thats one of the reasons the telephone answering machine was invented. "Sorry we can't come to the phone now"

Then the "Do not Call list" B| snuck by their lobby group was almost the nail in their coffin.:)
To bad I feel guilty for being happy most of them are out of work:S
One Jump Wonder

I have both. I leave the cell-phone in my pick-up and have it for when i'm traveling. I don't have cell-phone reception at the house. Since I'm not a 'phone type', I only use a telephone when I really need one. To me, a telephone is more of an 'in-convenience'.

Chuck

Instructions for making own phone:

2 empty soup cans small hole in bottom connect the two cans with a piece of string.

Insert string and tie a knot at each end

Caller talks into can and listener puts ear to other end.

Long distance home made phone's :)
No problemo Longer piece of string:ph34r:

Some of you all got cell phones:)
Kid want a cell phone from santa, gets a string phone.>:(:S

Dude you are so behind the times. You don't use a string any more. Now you use a straw. Haven't you ever heard of cordless?:S:ph34r:
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Thanks to everyone for posting & voting! Keep 'em coming if you haven't voted yet. The graph is taking shape nicely.

I still have a landline, but I should probably get rid of it. I'm on the do not call list, but I can still get called by charities & colleges. Seems everytime the landline rings I let the answering machine get it, & the caller just hangs up. F&*king useless.

If I DO pick it up, it's usually someone asking for money.B|

The landline is only useful when I forget to re-charge my cell phone.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------