grannyinthesky

May I rant for a minute?

I like students who can figure things out, not quote something from a book. I can work with ones with street smarts. They know how to learn and generally do. They are the ones who seriously want and expect answers to "Where am I ever going to need this?" When I can supply those answers, they thrive in the classroom.

Well, those students will find a useful place in society, but if they are only willing to learn something if you can tell them today where they will need it 20, 30, 40 years into the future, I suspect they will not make it to the top echelon.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's more like....Measure once, ask your buddy.....measure again........cut it wrong.......start over.
I loved messing with the youngster's heads. I would always give measurments as 1/4" more than
5'- 5 7/16". Also when I was asked the time, it was
4 minutes past 10 minutes to 3.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I'll tell you what I had a problem with. It was the "Expedia" commercials that talked about how their professionals figured out how far everything was from the hotel you would be booking, and they showed this group of people running around town holding the end of a measuring tape, putting it at the imaginary door of some restaurant or other attraction, looking at the end of the tape, and writing on the clip board they were carrying. I was thinking if you looked at the clip board it would say "Restaurant 1 inch" "Movie theater 1 inch". They were looking at the wrong end of the tape measure.
Now how stupid was it that someone filming the commercials didn't say "hey Fred, you've got the wrong end!"
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

That's right up there with what I heard from my son about a guy he was doing concrete foundations with. This guy was helping layout the forms and checking to see if they were square with his own tape measure. He neglected to mention or take into account the fact that the first foot of the tape was missing. His boss figured it out when he had to tear out the third foundation the guy worked on. Needless to say, he lost his job.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Hi P:o GrannyB|

My wife was a carpenter for about 20 yr's before she got a bad owee.

She worked with guy's that couldn't read a ruler past ft and inch's. After inch's they resorted to so many little lines and so many really little lines and and really itty bitty lines. 1/2", 1/4" 1/8".

You know why females make such bad carpenters? Because they've been told all their lives by their boyfriends this is 12 inch's.:o

Dumbing down of our country. Next time you go to a drive thru window throw in some xtra change so you don't get anything less than a quarter.:S

My wife was in prison for a yr:o as a instructor. Also caught the group W bench, and we've seen lots of eucated people in the box stores that have no concept of. How much paint they need for a room (SQft/gal of paint is listed on can)/ floor covering, roofing sq's. Base board for a rm.

Carpert for a room? MEASURe THE ROOM and muliply.... forgot they can't read a ruler. if they could how would they get from ft & inch's to sq ft to sq yards.:S

What's a board ft?;)

FWIW I like velcro on my shoes:)

One Jump Wonder

You know why females make such bad carpenters? Because they've been told all their lives by their boyfriends this is 12 inch's.

I shoulda guessed guys were part of that problem. Duh....

My wife was in prison for a yr as a instructor. Also caught the group W bench, and we've seen lots of eucated people in the box stores that have no concept of. How much paint they need for a room (SQft/gal of paint is listed on can)/ floor covering, roofing sq's. Base board for a rm.

You should see some of the answers I get to a project that I give to students that asks them to go measure a room and figure how many gallons of paint it will take-----I've seen answers of 20+ gallons for ordinary bedrooms/living rooms. The students seem to have no idea their answers aren't even in the ball park

POPS #10490

I have respect for teachers cause i know i could never do it. I would smack kids upside the head and call them stupid fuckers. It really is sad how stupid this country is becoming.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have respect for teachers cause i know i could never do it. I would smack kids upside the head and call them stupid fuckers. It really is sad how stupid this country is becoming.

I am amazed that elementary and secondary teachers can accomplish what they can with the state of our educational system. That said, there is a reason I teach at the college level!!!

POPS #10490

I agree with everything you've said, but I'm going to play devil's advocate just for fun.

We all know that, historically, standard units of measure evolve, eventually rendering some units increasingly obsolete. Cubits and leagues probably haven't been commonly used during the lifetimes of anyone currently alive. How often is the furlong used outside of horse-racing anymore? The peck is rarely used anymore. The bushel (4 pecks...right?) is still used, but even in the US & UK, government policy is to phase it out in favor of metric measurements.

I'm your students' parents' age. I was taught "English" measurements in elementary school, but my science classes began to reflect the phase-over to metrics around the time I was in middle school. By high school, the only thing that wasn't taught in metrics was driver's ed! (Oh, and football. For God's sake don't let me forget that.) So, I'm part of the "bi-lingual" generation.

The story that today's student would think that 3 "lines" past the inch-mark on a ruler is 1.3 inches, instead of 1 3/8 inches, reminds me of this: I remember, when I was a teenager, my dad being amazed that I had no idea what unit of measurement a "gross" was. (For you kiddies, it's 12 dozen.) Why? He had used it all his life in industry. But he grew up and had a career using units of measurement based either on 12 or multiples of 2. I, on the other hand, had been educated almost exclusively in decimal units; and in that world, a gross is as arcane as a cubit. Units of 12? Why? My brain didn't work that way, much less view the world that way.

And that's at least half the reason that student didn't realize the ruler was divided into eighths and sixteenths - because she's conditioned to only think in decimals. (Yes, I know, an American also still needs to understand "English" measurements; so yes, either her education or her retention failed her.) But to a degree, she's also been set up for failure - the entire world outside the US, and the educational system she attends the US, are almost entirely metric; but in the "real world", the US, unlike even Canada, stubbornly hangs on to English measurements, rather than metrics, for most common things in daily life. So who is really to blame?

Interesting way of looking at the problem. I guess i just grew up bi-lingual or is it bi-measuring? But, currently, the US system of measurement is still part of elementary curriculum and doesn't seem to be being taught well enough, but then neither is the metric system, really. I would love to see the US system go the way of log and trig tables and slide rules. It is happening slowly.,...very slowly. Oh, I do usually point out to my students who proclaim they are clueless about the metric system by the way, that the volume etc on the soda cans sitting in front of them has both systems of measurement.

POPS #10490

You are so right, I own a mechanical contracting company and i teach at the local community college and i amazed everyday how young people cant read a ruler, make change in thier head or even do simple algebra, but they can rap every song on the radio with no problem.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

You are so right, I own a mechanical contracting company and i teach at the local community college and i amazed everyday how young people cant read a ruler, make change in thier head or even do simple algebra, but they can rap every song on the radio with no problem.

The ones who are will can be taught, but I see an even greater problem. Too many of the traditional age college student has no clue about how to learn. There are way too many of them who don't seem to know it's important to come to class everyday and do their homework. How are they at getting to work?

POPS #10490

you are so right, the fundamental problem is that they are not taught how think, and or don't have the motivation to learn

my favorite is at the cash register when the bill is, let's say, $5.89, and I give the clerk a $10, a $1 and 14 cents - they look at you, they look at the money and don't have a clue how to even start, fortunately all they have to do is enter $11.14 in the register and it does the thinking for them

I have a need, once a day, to convert metric length to feet and inches, with a little practice it is easy to do in your head

math is simply a language, with a little practice it is easy
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Hi quade,

Careful, next thing ya know somebody is going to spout off about the "superiority" of the metric system. ;)

I'm glad you put the 'smiley' there. Having lived and worked in the metric system (the proper term is SI), I find that those who bash it are those who know nothing about it. They just hate change.

When Australia went to the SI system they had two years to completely eliminate the old English system. It can be done easily, successfully and at very little cost.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Yes, I am a very strong proponent of the SI system.

Too many of the traditional age college student has no clue about how to learn. There are way too many of them who don't seem to know it's important to come to class everyday and do their homework. How are they at getting to work?

My daughter teaches Jr. High here. Last month she was calling the homes of the kids who are seriously behind, to try to get parents involved. She was telling me that she had sent home notes the previous month, and had not had responses from many of the parents. When she reached the home of one of the kids and announced who she was, and that she was following thru on the 23% the kid was getting in that class, the parent said, "yea I know, so what?"
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

...So who is really to blame?

The freakin' U.S. educational system that passed them through giving them high school diplomas for nothing more than attendance or just to get them out and make them Somebody Else's Problem.

That SEP is now Granny...and Jumper03, I might add.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

you think HS pass thru is bad

we have a College here in Columbia, SC (I am sad to admit) that has a rule - nothing lower than a C the first 2 years! all they have to do is come to class and try

why do they do this? because most of the students are on some type of government assistance and the college gets Uncle Sam bucks for every student enrolled, what a joke

furthermore, one of the admission requirements, and this can not be waived, is they have to graduate in the TOP 95% of their high school class!! man that is tough, really feel sorry for those that don't make it
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

math is simply a language, with a little practice it is easy

That is how I often present the idea of what algebra is. There is an alphabet (numbers and variables), words (terms), phrases (expressions) and sentences (equations and inequalities) There is also grammar (all the rules we use). It seems to help some students make a better connection. Now, if I could just get a better connection between my brain and what my arms do or don't when I hear the word "flare":$:$

POPS #10490

My daughter teaches Jr. High here. Last month she was calling the homes of the kids who are seriously behind, to try to get parents involved. She was telling me that she had sent home notes the previous month, and had not had responses from many of the parents. When she reached the home of one of the kids and announced who she was, and that she was following thru on the 23% the kid was getting in that class, the parent said, "yea I know, so what?"

My hat is off to your daughter. Kids at that age are tough enough without that kind of stuff from the parents.

POPS #10490

first concept to grasp.... is that most tape measures, rulers yardsticks etc. are marked in SIXTEENTHS.......

Women who can use hand tools,, and ( be still my heart ) POWER tools....:$:P
well they are right up there at the top of the list... Mix that with computer saavy, and a few other important personality traits.....( and of course, skydiving..;);) )
and you have a winner on your hands.....B|

jmy

I'm very thankful that my father is a millwork estimator and taught me what all the little "marks" on my tape measure mean. ;)

I'm even more thankful that he also talked me into buying all the power tools I'll ever need to keep up my 50+ year old house.

Now if I only had a floor sander, I'd be set. B|

Now, back to replacing the hose on my nail gun and I'll be good to go!

Should I use metric or imperial wrenches for that? I have both ... :P:P
'Shell

I just saw a segment on the Today show about tools for women. They were showing a tape measure with the markings labeled by 4 3/8 etc. That is absolutely absurd for anyone, man or woman. Unfortunately, in my classrooms, I have discoved that way too many college students cannot read a ruler. That however is not the solution!!!!!!

I cannot even tell you how many adults I have meet that cannot read a ruler!:D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just saw a segment on the Today show about tools for women. They were showing a tape measure with the markings labeled by 4 3/8 etc. That is absolutely absurd for anyone, man or woman. Unfortunately, in my classrooms, I have discoved that way too many college students cannot read a ruler. That however is not the solution!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cannot even tell you how many adults I have meet that cannot read a ruler!

Unfortunately, I've got a pretty good idea!!

POPS #10490