RALFFERS

Sirius Satellite Radio

I did a search on this subject but didn't find many threads or much information...

I've been considering getting Sirius satellite radio for a while, it's really good on those long road trips, which I often take and whatnot. Not to mention I really like the variety and clarity of the stations.

I was recently driving with a friend who had it in his car, and figured what the hell, since I just got a new [to me] car myself I might as well go ahead and install the Sirius.

My only question is, since my current Pioneer radio is 'satellite radio ready' do I need anything else? If I had to guess I would say yes. Or do I just go buy a subscription?

Sorry if this seems like a really stupid question but I really know nothing about this stuff. :$
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Try here. You might find your answer. http://www.sirius.com/install/manuals

Edited to add: I'll bet since it's satelitte ready you probably don't have to buy anything. Check the "band" button and see if you get something like satellite.

It'd be nice if you do. I have XM in a Trailblazer but it's an add-on unit and the sound quality is lacking.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

well worth the cost IMHO...

Yeah, my buddy told me it was like $500 for a lifetime subscription?... Pretty sweet deal if you think about it, IMO. B|

http://www.sirius.com/getsirius/plans

some details...
From the above link...

"FOR A LIMITED TIME: LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION
Act soon and pay only $399.99 for the lifetime of your radio. You can transfer your lifetime subscription to a different SIRIUS Radio when you upgrade or replace your radio — up to three times — for only $75 per radio.
Offer only available by calling 1.866.635.5040 to activate.
Offer ends January 31, 2008."

Not including Tax going month to month on it for 3 years will cost you more then $466

how new is your car?
usually you get a few months free subscription.

check your band button it should have AM /FM /Sat

Channel 100/101 are the best;)

Well, it's a new, to me car - 98' Honda Accord LX. Although it has some miles on it it's all highway, and is a 1-owner car and the guy kept all the maintenance records. The highly recommended mechanic I bought it from was the only guy who ever worked on it; not to mention he also offered me a job. B|

Honda's last forever - it drives as if it was new, and the interior/exterior are in really good condition. I'm a happy camper. :)

Honda's last forever :)

That's probably what the guy who stole my Honda was thinking. The bastard didnt even total the car for me. just fucked it up enough for me to be stuck with a piece of shit.

I dont own a honda any more.:D

But my guess is you should still be able to switch bands to Satelite, you just won't get a signal. If you have that band on your radio All you should have to do is call and activate it.
My photos

My Videos

Go for it! I had it when I was on the rigs but canceled it when I quit. Now that we live in the mountains in the middle of nowhere and I am a courier I got another one. Plus you can listen to it on the web which is cool.

Yea I love that option. Shit, you dont even need a radio at all to listen to the satelite feed.
My photos

My Videos

Most of the receivers you can buy at, e.g. Best Buy have built-in FM transmitters that you set to an unused frequency on your car (or home) radio. You need (besides the receiver) a car kit that includes a mounting bracket, cigarette lighter power adapter and magnetic mount roof antenna. Nothing special needed in your car radio.
I have both but listen mostly to Sirius. I have resisted "lifetime" deals because with the long-pending merger of Sirius and XM still, well, pending, it's hard to guess what pricing will look like when and if it happens.

HW

Merger wont happen unless there's a third satelite company coming to the table.
I wonder how Sirius will hold up if Howard stern retires.
I've got stock in them so I'm hoping they doing merge and the price skyrockets....Ain't going to happen though.[:/]

My photos

My Videos

Merger wont happen unless there's a third satelite company coming to the table.
I wonder how Sirius will hold up if Howard stern retires.
I've got stock in them so I'm hoping they doing merge and the price skyrockets....Ain't going to happen though.[:/]

They were doing fine before Stern, they would do fine without him. I had Sirius way before Stern signed on, I can't see him alone being a deciding factor.

Dave

well worth the cost IMHO...

Yeah, my buddy told me it was like $500 for a lifetime subscription?... Pretty sweet deal if you think about it, IMO. B|

I just upped my wife's to lifetime. We absolutely love it - it became one of those "Can't live without it" things. Of course, I don't have one in my car - yet...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You don't think that the jump from approx 150,000 customers to over 6 million (I think its up to 7 now) has anything to do with him?

I think that's an exaggeration in numbers, Sirius had over 3 million subscribers before Stern signed on in Jan 2006. I'm sure some people joined to hear Stern, but I don't think 6 million people joined just to hear Stern. Anyone over the age of 15 gets tired of listening to him after about 10 minutes. He was cool and edgy a decade ago, not so much anymore...

Dave

You don't think that the jump from approx 150,000 customers to over 6 million (I think its up to 7 now) has anything to do with him?

I think that's an exaggeration in numbers, Sirius had over 3 million subscribers before Stern signed on in Jan 2006. I'm sure some people joined to hear Stern, but I don't think 6 million people joined just to hear Stern. Anyone over the age of 15 gets tired of listening to him after about 10 minutes. He was cool and edgy a decade ago, not so much anymore...

Dave

I got my wife the system so that she could hear Stern. I listen to him at my office in the morning quite often. I love to listen to Ferrell at night when

But I grew to love the other stations. Blues. The Vault. Raw Dog Comedy. It's a great system, and Stern is more responsible than anyone for the increase in listenership.

Sorry, you're so much more of an adult than stern fans.

Its funny how people get when you mention his name.

From what I heard it was a huge jump in subcriptions.
I can't fathom that they would pay him 500,000,000 dollars if they thought it was a risk.
My photos

My Videos

Gee, jt, don't we sound juvenile carrying on like this?

BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!
BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY!

Sorry, you're so much more of an adult than stern fans.

Its funny how people get when you mention his name.

From what I heard it was a huge jump in subcriptions.
I can't fathom that they would pay him 500,000,000 dollars if they thought it was a risk.

There was of course a jump in subscriptions, but not a 6 million person jump. They wouldn't have been in business for so long if they'd only had 150k subscribers. Their numbers say 3.1M subscribers as of Dec 2005, Stern started in Jan 2006. They now have 6.5M subscribers and are projecting another 3M subscribers per year for the next few years.

I have no doubt he helped boost their numbers, but to suggest that they went from 150k to 6M subscribers is just a huge exaggeration.

Don't get me wrong, I was a Stern fan a long time ago, I just don't find his show that funny any more. The last time I tried to listen to him, all he did was hit the fart sound effect every 5 seconds while his guest was trying to talk. It was more annoying than entertaining, I'm sure my 10 year old would have found it funny though.

Dave

Dave