BHawks

Going to flight school

Howdy everyone. Got the first class flight physical, approved for financial aid. Going to ATPS starting June 2nd to go fly through their airline career fast track program.

Finally got into the air, jumped 8 times last week in Hawaii, we had some awesome weather! There was some rich Russian people that rented the plane and they kept loads going all day. Usually Pacific Skydive knocks off about noon.

Talking to the tandem masters and photographers about what they make, everyone said, go to flight school and keep skydiving as a hobby.

Looking forward to it.

'Tis going to be a change. Hanging up EMS, Firefighting, airport operations and management to get a job with the best office view, ever! 119 days to go on this island! This is such a small island, surprised I haven't lost it, or have I?

Interesting how I made the decision, got krunked one night, applied for the student loan, expecting some BS, but to my amazement they said yes! Didn't know you could make intelligent decisions when you are krunked! (Shhhh don't tell my future employers that)

I wonder what my classmates will say when I tell them I skydive, most pilots (outside of the DZ) think you are nuts to jump.

Good times :)

I hope you are in a position to make the financial commitment necessary.

Because for the first five years being a pilot, you'll barely make enough to cover the cheapest lifestyle possible. You better look well into this before pursuing "the best office view" - the sacrifices you'll make outside of the job are insane in the perspective of most wage earners. With a student loan of $55-70,000 that you'll start paying upon graduation, you're looking at 7-80% of your paycheck going to the bank.

At least the feds may give you a tax deduction on the interest paid.
I like subway.

I hope you are in a position to make the financial commitment necessary.

Because for the first five years being a pilot, you'll barely make enough to cover the cheapest lifestyle possible. You better look well into this before pursuing "the best office view" - the sacrifices you'll make outside of the job are insane in the perspective of most wage earners. With a student loan of $55-70,000 that you'll start paying upon graduation, you're looking at 7-80% of your paycheck going to the bank.

At least the feds may give you a tax deduction on the interest paid.

Zing....is that YOU?! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey BHawks,

I've been fortunate enough to fly for a major airline for that past 18 years, so I have a little experience in this area.

Do you have a bachelors degree?

Having an ATP is great, I'm sure you'll get a job flying some cool airplane somewhere. To the best of my knowledge, the upper tier of flying jobs still require a 4 year degree in something. Without it you can certainly get a job flying jets for somebody, but the top pay probably won't compete with the top airline pay.

Money isn't the only or best reason to fly. Somehow it always manages to come up though. Especially when you're looking at all those loans that are due.

The view is great for a while, but unfortunately, it can get to be a drag. Especially on your 10th approach of the day into a busy airport, shitty weather, behind schedule, passengers pissed at you, dispatch not helping, FAA on your jumpseat, a nagging thought about that discrepancy in the logbook, am I legal?why is the FAA here on this leg? Captain is a nervous jerk, Flight attendant wants to have your baby and your retirement and checkbook. It ain't always what it's cracked up to be.

Sincerely, I wish you luck and safe landings. I don't recommend the career to young people as enthusiastically as I used to.

As all my airline buddies tell me, "Living the Dream"

:)

Great Post!

My father was the senior inspector for wide bodies for AA for 35 years. I used to go to work with him on occasion as a kid. One day, a mechanic is going on and on about becoming a pilot and having the good life. My dad tells, him, "Go drive a school bus for a month, then come talk to me. In the meantime, lets review your work order and see if you can keep one in the air." :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Nope ... wasn't me, but this poor deluded bastard is gonna be REAL sorry he took that loan.
The only license I ever paid for was my private ticket. All the add-ons and type ratings etc. were paid for by the companies I flew for.
Zing Lurks

Then again on the other hand...;)

My wife flys 3 trips (9 days) a month, all international...the view is usually different every trip.

She IS the Captain, so the nervous jerk is in the right seat.:ph34r:

And according to her, the 'lean' times were the best flying, the way she loves it now ...I can't begin to imagine how wonderful it was back then! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Seniority is a wonderful thing. When you're bidding the best trips and choosing which days you work, it really is "Living the Dream"

Ya just gotta get there.

The only way to get there is years and years of sitting reserve and flying all the shitty trips that no one else wants. Birthdays, anniversarys, holidays, etc. Hey, I volunteered for it.

I loved my years on the 747. Lots of great memories from all around the world, including looking down on Midway Island wondering what a layover there would be like. Thankfully I never diverted in the whale.

Glad to hear she is still loving it.

I'd like to retire and be one of those cranky old piss pots hanging around the DZ drinking free coffee and yelling at all the kids to bring beer for some first time thing.

:)

Beerlight is right,

Living the dream is important. But, there is a money side to it that comes into play.

Part of my first post in this thread was in regards to the bachelors degree. It really helps to make this a career.

Sure, some people have made it all the way to the top without it. I'd not recommend that. It is very competitive at all levels and having everything in your favor will give you the advantage.

There are many ways to fly that will fully satisfy the "Dream" thing without doing the airline grind. I've got a couple buddies who fly privately, a few hours a month and absolutely love it.

Big decision. I hope somewhere in these posts I've said, "Good Luck". (Sincerely)

MH

***FAA on your jumpseat, a nagging thought about that discrepancy in the logbook, am I legal?why is the FAA here on this leg?

FAA Motto-We're not happy until you're not happy.

Good luck BHawks, if you come through Pensacola, FL give me a shout in the tower on 119.9.

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Remember that flying for "The Airlines" is not the only way to go.

Depending on the life style you want, explore everything from flight instructing to corporate. For example, there's a real flight instructor shortage right now, and CFI's in this area (L.A.) are making some pretty big bucks working the schedules they want!
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I too almost took this same path. then talked to a jump pilot/diver. His advice made me really think about what I was doing, and I decided not to go through with it. started to seriously look into getting my private , ... then found out i was having a baby... there went that idea for a while!

good luck with the adventure, and if hired, good luck getting into a domicile that makes you happy . There is a big shortage in the airline industry right now *from what I hear*
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Zing....is that YOU?! :ph34r:

No, I'm not "Zing".

There are good investments, and bad investments. If you've got $70K in credit, there are better ways to go about getting a return on that money.

Pilot training should definitively be paid cash with money you can afford to lose. Just like gambling in Las Vegas - don't play with money you don't have.

Being a pilot is just a job after a while, but a very hard way to get a good paycheck. Getting a private or a glider license would be a much more enjoyable way to fly. In fact, I took a glider license when I was 17, and it was the most enjoyable flying I've ever done.
I like subway.

Nope ... wasn't me, but this poor deluded bastard is gonna be REAL sorry he took that loan.
The only license I ever paid for was my private ticket. All the add-ons and type ratings etc. were paid for by the companies I flew for.

Yes.... think twice before you go down this road! I also wanted to "live the dream." If not fly, I wanted to work for aviation or weather related operations. Went to Florida Tech and got a degree in Aviation Meteorology. Took out so many loans that I just couldn't take out any more and ended up dropping the flight option to my degree and graduated aviation met without flight. I have quiet a few friends that took out ass loads of loans and did finish up the flight portion of their degree. They are now realizing that 18K a year flying for an express jet was not all that it was cracked up to be. And as for me, I'll tell you that it's really tough to work in the aviation industry after graduating with a student loan payment that will be around $600/month for the next 29 years, and not be rolling in the dough as say maybe an engineer or something would to be comfortable enough with a big payment like that. BUT, I do enjoy what I do for my work and it is my life passion; and if you're the same, then go on with your bad self, but I just want you to be prepared for the reality of living the dream.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Wow, a lot of replies!

I chose ALLATPS as the flight school I am going to.

After paying my "dues," thinking corporate aviation is where I would like to go.

The financial aid, well, the first payment is not due for 18 months, yes, I know ...I'll start paying it back as soon as possible.

Maybe dust off the firefighting/ems certifications go the to the sandbox for six months a contractor making the tax free skrill.

I'm committed paid the deposit, have a class date, paying off the CC and the truck so I don't have those payments etc.

Good job, I think having the bachelors degree is key. The last time my airline opened the hiring gates they had 12,000 applications for 200 slots. One of my buddies was in the hiring department. He said getting rid of the first 6,000 was easy. Shifting through the top 6,000 was tougher, because they were all qualified. Just because you've got an EMB 190 type rating with 3,000 hours PIC, so what? So do 10,000 others. Having the degree will move you towards the top of the pile.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Have fun, keep skydiving.

MH

Wow. Great post! Learned a few things myself. I'm also working on by BS with ERAU to hopefully one day be a driver. I'm currently a Flight Engineer in the KC-10 for the AF, and I'll tell you, I love it! The flying can always get boring, like Meux said, shitty weather, max duty day and 4am (it sucks). But in the other hand I just came back from a week and a half trip over the Pacific with great layovers and ground times (Hawaii, Guam and Japan!!). Tax free months dont' bother me also, not to mention the tax free year! Good luck and fly safe...
Everything in excess is bad... except skydiving and sex!

I loved my years on the 747. Lots of great memories from all around the world, including looking down on Midway Island wondering what a layover there would be like. Thankfully I never diverted in the whale.

Layover at Midway Island? I've been here almost 4 freaken years!

I always wondered what kind of emergency would make us land there. If it was a simple engine failure we could just fly on to our destination. We'd have to be on fire or something like that.

If all goes well, in a few years you'll be at some flight level going from Honolulu to Japan looking down at that place with a big smile on your face.

Cheers,

Mo