ACMESkydiver

A Warning if You Use An Exercise Ball

He was holding 150 pounds of weight...ah. Ok. That'll f*ck up your arms, true. B|B|

Another article reported it was two 75 lb dumbells. I'm thinking he was probably doing prone rhomboid work when it happened. The ball explodes and he's down on both arms. KAPOW!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Update (boy that was fast!):

I sent this email to Danskin:

Hi,

I wanted to send you a heads up about an exercise ball I purchased at the local WalMart store about December 2007 timeframe. The set included a DVD and exercise chart. The WalMart website shows it here: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4346670 . I am also including a picture:

My 76 pound son was laying on this ball, tummy down, similar to the exercise shown on the chart. He was bouncing a little bit and the ball burst, dropping him straight down onto the ground. The entire seam blew out, and he hit the ground stomach down, hitting his chin on the floor.

I weigh quite a bit more than 76 pounds, and had been using the ball previously for sit ups as shown on the chart as well. I’m hoping this was a one-off situation and you’re not selling balls with a defect that would drop a person of only 76 pounds flat onto the floor after only weeks with typical use.

Please let me know if you have looked into this problem!

Thank you very much,

Mrs. Jaye P

I got this response:

Hello

You will have to forward this to Walmart. Danskin licensed their name to Walmart so the products are not made by us.

Sara
Danskin Consumer rep

Interesting. Brand name means nothing if you purchase a product in WalMart. They aren't even made by the company whose logo is on the packaging. :|

I said 76 pounds...I think Joey is 78 pounds now. Not that 2 pounds should matter, but just point of clarification...:$
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I got this response:

Hello

You will have to forward this to Walmart. Danskin licensed their name to Walmart so the products are not made by us.

Sara
Danskin Consumer rep

Interesting. Brand name means nothing if you purchase a product in WalMart. They aren't even made by the company whose logo is on the packaging. :|

Why would a company do that when it lends itself to possible liability! Wow. Lawrocket care to comment?

ltdiver

Thats the one I heard about!!!! I can't imagine balancing myself on one of them and then doing and kind of weighted exercise to boot. ITS A HOLLOW BALL!!!!!!! Of course its gonna POP!

Actually we use these type of exercise balls all the time in physical therapy. We get them from a known vendor who supplies medical facilities. We maintain their psi and have never had any of them burst.

I'm thinking that the quality of ball has alot to do with it's usability. This is the company we use.

ltdiver

Why would a company do that when it lends itself to possible liability!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I took trademark in 2000, and haven't touched it since, but this is what I remember, along with my law school torts knowledge:

The trademark licensor MAYbe able to escape liability by showing that they had nothing to do with the the design or manufacturer of the product.

They can be held liable under "enterprise" doctrine. In that case, if the non-manufacturing entity that licenses its logo to another company exercises some substantial control, that company can be held strictly liable for defective of unreasonably dangerous products that cause harm.

There was another doctrine - I think it was called something like "ostensible manufacturer" that used to be used, but I recall that it is disfavored.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

glad he is ok. yeah wal mart is startng to get on my nerves with this cheaply made chinese CRAP. towels, blankets etc. we have bought there (chinese made) fall aprt after just a few weeks. my daughter bought some blouses there that started to come aprt the first time they were worn.

I bought the softest blanket I had ever felt at wal-mart a few months ago. I figured it needed to be washed so I follewed the directions on the tag exactly. The blanket is still kinda soft but now it's covered in fuzzies. And the fuzzies are getting EVERYWHERE. I have to use a lint brush on my couch everyday. It's really frustrating cause I love that blanket.

SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE

thats what i would do

;);)

Sue for what? The boy wasn't injured.

I sent WalMart corporate an email and asked if they would consider a recall. We'll see how they respond.

I just don't want someone else getting hurt. :S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Can you say made in China? Wal-mart has really gone in the crapper.

Blame China for having the cheapest and largest labor force in the world.

Uh uh oh no my FELLOW AMERIKANS.... It is US the CHEAP always looking for a deal, "droping the ball" (pun?) of OUR (collectively) own economic engine! It aint CHINAS fault! It is OURS for NOT holding the AMERICAN business owners that import this stuff.... But yet WE keep buying it!!!

Anyone ever heard of BOYCOTT? But WE wont do that cause we LOVE to get "CRAP" for cheap! And we dont wanna see our kids cry....

It didn't feel 'hard' and it had plenty of give when I used it......

I have no comment on this thought partial or not!!;):P

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "enterprise" "ostensible manufacturer" etc etc

This is OUR LEGISLATIVE BRANCH and BIG BUISNESS "sleeping together".... "scratching each others back" if you will!!!

All the while, we PAY for their LIFETIME HEALTH INS (even after office) and WE are stuck BUYING CHEAP CRAP....!

We can talk about this till the cows come home, but NOTHING will change UNTIL We the Peeps decide that WE have had enuf... But I dont see that happening anytime soon before the appocalypse!

peace and get back to work!>:(
:dd

glad yr kid is ok!!:)

Christ!!! That has always been my phobia with those things. At the fitness center a trainer had me doing dumbell press on one of those things and when I expressed exactly that concern he insisted that they would not burst but rather deflate slowly if punctured. I had visions of droping backwards on my head and having weights drop on me with injuries similar to those in the story. Fuck that. I don't think I want to use those again.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Update (boy that was fast!):

I sent this email to Danskin:
***Brand name means nothing if you purchase a product in WalMart. They aren't even made by the company whose logo is on the packaging. :|

ding ding... you 'get what you pay for' applies to pretty much everything...

got a $200 piece of equipment for $20 (examples only i know it wasnt 200, but people shop at walmart EXACTLY for cheaper prices and yet never question the quality) there is likely a very good reason for the 'discount'