jumper03

Packed my first racer....

The point I was making is they are both Pop Tops.

OK, point taken, but this entire discussion is about closing Racers and thats what I am refering to in my post above.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The point I was making is they are both Pop Tops.

OK, point taken, but this entire discussion is about closing Racers and thats what I am refering to in my post above.

well, we'll see about the gruntless, strainless, groanless closing next time I do one. This past time sure as hell had plenty of grunting and groaning (sprinkled with very liberal amounts of cussing).
Scars remind us that the past is real

I would be happy to teach you the tricks so you're not grunting and groaning (sprinkled with very liberal amounts of cussing) while packing a vector/wings/talon/javelin/infinity etc,etc,etc (what is an etc,etc,etc by the way?)

Racers are not difficult to close and Infinity's ... come on.. :D They're as easy as they come. I cuss a time or 2 wiith wings though.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It's the etc,etc,etc from blah, blah, blah.

It comes standard with a watchma callit and a do dad!

dohickies are a $200 option.

It's also a 1 pin.:P
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

i'm dragging up an old thread because i think i'm about to pack my first racer. i saw a demo of one being packed at my rigger course, but never got my hands on it (intentionally, there weren't any racers around my dz then). there is some good info here, but i still have questions.

the pictures that were posted (via a link to dz.com photo gallery) now lead to a dead link, does anyone know where they are?

i read through the manual and it goes into some detail (although confusing) about tacking this thing to that thing (i will read it again, and look at the rig when it comes apart) but is this something you have to do on every repack?

since the quickloop is the closing loop, i'm guessing it has to be replaced every repack like any cypres loop?

if i do have to replace it, can i make one on my own, or do i have to buy one from jumpshack?

if i can make one, where are the damn instructions?

someone mentioned a video, is that available anywhere?

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Quick-loops (in Racers) tend to last much longer than Cypres loops in most other rigs, so still inspect it - and keep a spare quick-loop handy - but don't plan on replacing them every reserve repack.

Yes, you can make your own quick-loops (Cypres cord, finger-trapping wire, etc.) but you are probably wiser to buy your first few quick-loops from Jump Shack (aka. the Racer factory) while you are at it, ask J.S. for free ghost-loops, because there are two ways to pack Racers: ghost-loops, or that other method requiring far more ^%$#@! tools than I can count!

Oh!
... and the secret to making Racers look pretty starts even before you bag the canopy. You can either create a deep "crater" in the middle of the freebag - early in the process - or you can struggle for far too many hours to make it look pretty.
Your call ...

snip>>> You can either create a deep "crater" in the middle of the freebag - early in the process - or you can struggle for far too many hours to make it look pretty.
Your call ...

i find that applies to any rig! that stupid pilot chute and it's spring have to go somewhere. it's either in the packjob, or on it. on it never looks right.

cool that i can make them, just wondering why there aren't any diagrams around. found one fairly easily for a reflex. i'm guessing this is the same only different with two pins and all. can't do anything without a picture and some measurements.
MB4252 TDS699

cool that i can make them, just wondering why there aren't any diagrams around. found one fairly easily for a reflex. i'm guessing this is the same only different with two pins and all. can't do anything without a picture and some measurements.

The quick loops on the Racer pilot chute can't (I mean shouldn't) be made by Rigger A's or Senior Rigger's. It is a TSO'd component on the container system and requires the factory or Master rigger or equivalent. I think Rob is referring to something else. Don't be building your own.

Malcolm, I posted pictures of a Racer repack in my photo section back around 2004. You should be able to access them HERE.

Also, I recommend you e-mail/contact Jump Shack as they will be happy to send you the packing DVD which is quite good.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

thanks scott, those are the pics i was looking for.B|

also, thanks beatnik for the tip on the tso'd part. i'll just buy one if i need it. maybe i'll get them to mail me one with the dvd.

MB4252 TDS699

oh,,quit it,,,pull your skirt down and quit whinning.....:S

Some riggers report being quite happy to pack racers, they've become well acquainted with the techniques/tricks that it takes to make it easy, perhas even much easier than other rigs. I accept that fully.

It is amazing that after so many years, and with the information age as it is, blah, blah, that anyone would try and do it without getting the DVD or whatever else it took so that it was in fact easy. Some say using bodkins is not a problem, others are so happy that other techniques have not been developed.

Can't Jumpshack put the content of their packing DVD on the web (is it already?), so anyone could watch it as needed without having to wait for snail mail to get them the scoop on how to do it right? It would seem that much of their bad reputation is from the small percentage of riggers that are good at or want to pack them. If their packing DVD does really make it clear how to do it right, they could see much of that bad rep vanish.

I am not a rigger.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

i'd certainly like to see it available electronically. i have the rig in hand, don't have a week or so to wait for a dvd to be delivered. oh well, i've seen it done, read the manual, looked at scott's pics and i've done a reflex, so i have the basics. should be fun.
MB4252 TDS699

Just remember, if you're straining or muscling it, you're doing it wrong. I'll see about having them upload the DVD but it's fairly long so I don't know how feasible it will be to do something like that.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott, I spoke with Nancy R yesterday on another matter and asked her about the DVD. She said they're not planning/going to upload it.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Malcolm, packing the Racer is very easy. The tricky part is getting the rig flipped over. If it's a small hat, use a molar strap to contain the PC. If its a large hat, you can hold it with your hand and flip it.

If the rig is CYPRES equipped, you'll have to be careful about getting the closing loops through the cutters. The Jumpshack trick isn't the best, but it works. Hot tip: Don't leave a lot of slack/excess in the pullup cord you use to bring the closing loops through the container. There is a risk of wrapping around the cutter, requiring you to go back and start over.

Remember to use only CYPRES material for the pullup cord.

Also, use the long portion of the ripcord to manipulate and set the first pin.

Nova
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

you know what I find hilarious ?

All new jumper threads that get the same 3-4 people one-lining "go with a Racer" or "www.jumpshack.com for all your needs". And now, those very helpful posters cannot even give some tips how to pack the very rigs they so strongly recommend to others.

Please, give it a rest, the horse long ago died. Your statement could easily be said about any brand. The fact of the matter is that a majority of the jumpers out there that recommend their brand rig to people couldn't offer tips on how to pack it either. Your statement is a moot point.If you have something productive to offer on packing a Racer then by all means, lets hear it.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Racers are a bit bizarre -- and you'd think a smaller company would try harder to be user friendly.

1. You get a manual that says it only applies to the rig it came with. At least they are clear about that.
But how do you find the right version for a particular rig?
Their web site only shows the current version.

2. The current manual (2003) says all rigs after 1997 come with a Spectra Quick Loop. But then the manual goes on about Kevlar Quick Loops.

3. There's the bizarre ancient rite like some 1950s military rig, of optionally tacking through the Kevlar loop to prevent fabric from getting in the loops.

4. If the Quick Loop is a TSOd part that can't be built by the average rigger like on almost any other rig, why doesn't the manual make that clear?

5. The manual does not mention the big difference in opinion between Jump Shack and Airtec on reserve loops. Airtec has the sewn, free running loop but says that in the USA due to TSO requirements one must follow the rig manufacturer's instructions -- which would be Jump Shack's adjustable, tacked down loop.

6. To replace the loop you have to tack it to the pilot chute, and then tack the pilot chute cap in multiple places. Other rigs like Teardrops, Reflexes, and even Wings have figured out easier ways to attach a cap to a pilot chute.

No wonder a new rigger gets confused.

" ...
2. The current manual (2003) says all rigs after 1997 come with a Spectra Quick Loop. But then the manual goes on about Kevlar Quick Loops.

... "

Racers have gone through at lest three different types of reserve closing loop material over the years.
The first Racers used nylon,gutted 550 cord, like everyone else.
In the early 1980s, Racers were built with adjustable loops made of Kevlar.
In the early 1990s, Racer shifted to Cypres cord like all the other manufacturers.
I have never heard a straight answer - just a lot of anger - from John Sherman, as to why we are not allowed to use the European pattern of free-floating Cypres loop.
???????????????????????????????????????????

Most riggers quit hand-tacking Racer closing loops a long time ago.

It took seeing a master rigger close a Racer to see that no matter how much muscle that you put in trying to pull the bottom flap grommet over a T Bodkin its just going to cause frustration until you use a pull up cord to help pull and lift it onto the grommet. Someone tried to tell me to use the pull up cord through the T Bodkin and all that made me do was pull it close but never over the top of the bodkin. The trick is to take a pull up cord just through the grommet and then pull it up and over to get the flaps easier to control.

I'm getting an entire pile of things that are only used on Racers in my rigging box. Hemostats, Ghost loops, extra pull up cords, T Bodkins, etc.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com