ACMESkydiver

Another Alternator vs Battery Question

Having a problem with the Suburban. If you leave a door open for just 10-15 minutes, interior lights on, it won't start. :S

It was starting to do that now and then in the morning as well, when a light hadn't been left on.

Last thing...I was driving around town doing errands and taking boys to their therapies. I stopped to mail some stuff, got back into the truck, started it (it sounded weak, but cranked and started) then the idle dropped to like nil...it never did die, but it sure sounded like it was gonna. :S

Joe and I know absolutely NOTHING about vehicles. Whatcha think? Does that sound like we need a new battery or a new alternator? (PS -please say whichever is least expensive so I'll feel better!! :D:D:P)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

sounds like what happened to mine. My battery was 5 years old, was fully charged but lost the ability to be able to start the car. Apparently batteries do this after a while and the guy told me that 5 years i was very lucky for it to last that long.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

sounds like what happened to mine. My battery was 5 years old, was fully charged but lost the ability to be able to start the car. Apparently batteries do this after a while and the guy told me that 5 years i was very lucky for it to last that long.

So we think it's the battery then (well except Dan who's not saying!! >:(:P). HOORAY!! :):D
~Jaye

So we think it's the battery then (well except Dan who's not saying!! >:(:P). HOORAY!! :):D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

By all means... start cheap, do you know how old the battery is??? Usually the batteries have their months of service stated right on top of the battery... if its close than it is a safe bet. Do you have a volt gauge on the dash panel? How many volts does it say it is charging while the vehicle is running? it should be at least 13 to 15 volts if not it could be the alternator..... I dont know where you live but some of the more major auto part stores now do free testing on your vehicle for alternator vs. battery probs.... Good Luck!!!

- Bill

******Today is one day too late.********

> If you leave a door open for just 10-15 minutes, interior lights on, it won't start.

Start the car. Put a clamp-on meter on the battery return cable. It should indicate a significant charge (at least an amp.) Voltage should be above 13 volts. If not, there's an alternator problem.

If the battery is charging OK and you still have this problem, get a new battery.

Another alternative is to get LED replacements for your interior lights. They use 1/4 the power, so your (old) battery will last longer.

By all means... start cheap, do you know how old the battery is??? Usually the batteries have their months of service stated right on top of the battery... if its close than it is a safe bet. Do you have a volt gauge on the dash panel? How many volts does it say it is charging while the vehicle is running? it should be at least 13 to 15 volts if not it could be the alternator..... I dont know where you live but some of the more major auto part stores now do free testing on your vehicle for alternator vs. battery probs.... Good Luck!!!

- Bill

I'm thinking it was like a 36 month battery or something? I'm guessing we bought it 2 years ago?

I don't know if there's a volt meter thingy on the guages...I'll have to go look. And YES! I bet Schuck's will test the battery for free. Thanky!
~Jaye

> If you leave a door open for just 10-15 minutes, interior lights on, it won't start.

Start the car. Put a clamp-on meter on the battery return cable. It should indicate a significant charge (at least an amp.) Voltage should be above 13 volts. If not, there's an alternator problem.

If the battery is charging OK and you still have this problem, get a new battery.

Another alternative is to get LED replacements for your interior lights. They use 1/4 the power, so your (old) battery will last longer.

Well, I do have a family of 5 moving in with us in the next 4 days...and one of 'em happens to be pretty handy with cars! If it can wait a few days...I bet he could do that stuff! He loves working on cars. He replaced our snakey belt on the car last time he was here. :)
~Jaye

I'm thinking it was like a 36 month battery or something? I'm guessing we bought it 2 years ago?

Allow me to add.... that if it IS a 36mos batt and only 24mos have passed, then run back to the store where purchased (if possible), and after testing (if fails test) then there SHOULD be a "pro rated" price on a NEW battery!:)
....but a NATIONAL CHAIN such as AUTOZONE, ADVANCE, NAPA, CARQUEST etc, should STILL do the PRO~RATED just because!

ALL in all, I didnt say anything b/c i wanted to see how smart everyone else is compared to ME!:P

Chances are, the battery is shot...probably a bad cell. Problem is, something else may have caused the battery to go bad....could be the alternator also but from the sounds of it, it's been running almost exclusively, on the alternator. All vehicles nowadays have some amount of "parasitic drain" on the battery....things like the computer and accessories that are powered, even with the key off. Any reputable garage or battery shop can do all the necessary tests on the battery, alternator and check for excessive parasitic drain, quickly and reasonably cheap.

I recommend that you don't skimp on a battery, get the highest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) you can afford...especially if you're in a cold weather climate. If you've added much in the way of lights and/or accessories, you may want to increase the output of your alternator. Some can be adjusted or modified.
"T'was ever thus."

You could also check and see if there's water covering the battery cells. Maintenance free doesn't always mean no maint. If you see the plates exposed add enough distilled water to cover them. Be careful -- it's battery acid.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Just a hint...
Keeping the battery posts clean, on a regular basis will help prolong the life of a battery and is less strain on the alternator. Clean the battery connections every time you change oil. Connections may look clean from outward appearences but, a thin scale can form between the battery post and the cable connections, not visible by just looking at them.

Chuck

Chances are, the battery is shot...probably a bad cell. Problem is, something else may have caused the battery to go bad....could be the alternator also but from the sounds of it, it's been running almost exclusively, on the alternator. All vehicles nowadays have some amount of "parasitic drain" on the battery....things like the computer and accessories that are powered, even with the key off. Any reputable garage or battery shop can do all the necessary tests on the battery, alternator and check for excessive parasitic drain, quickly and reasonably cheap.

I recommend that you don't skimp on a battery, get the highest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) you can afford...especially if you're in a cold weather climate. If you've added much in the way of lights and/or accessories, you may want to increase the output of your alternator. Some can be adjusted or modified.

We have a huge after-market 15" drop down DVD screen, and the fans to cool all of the audio/video equip. We also have additional plug-ins.

I'll have to check into that.
~Jaye

Advise from a master mechanic....

Pay a professional to test your vehicles basic electrical system.

Stop fucking around..pony up a few bucks and get it diagnosed.

If you came to me as someone from dizzy...I'd test for free...retail costs approx. $45 CAD to test.

Wana toss $$ at it....your description sounds like a battery issue...replace it....

curb and gutter warranty on the diagnoses ;)

We have a huge after-market 15" drop down DVD screen, and the fans to cool all of the audio/video equip. We also have additional plug-ins.

I'll have to check into that.

With all that, the stock alternator may not be able to keep up....especially if you're doing mostly short runs. Back in the day (before the automatic lights, headlight timers, computers and misc. garbage)....they used to say that it took 12 miles of highway driving, just to recharge the battery to where it was, before starting the car. I don't have figures but I'm bettin' it takes a lot more miles, these days.

Consult a reputable shop and I'd suggest, someone that's familiar with RVs.
"T'was ever thus."

Advise from a master mechanic....

Pay a professional to test your vehicles basic electrical system.

Stop fucking around..pony up a few bucks and get it diagnosed.

If you came to me as someone from dizzy...I'd test for free...retail costs approx. $45 CAD to test.

Wana toss $$ at it....your description sounds like a battery issue...replace it....

curb and gutter warranty on the diagnoses ;)

Yes sir, will do...thanks. :)
~Jaye

Sounds like the alternator is going out (or has gone out) and the battery shorted due to that happening. That has happened enough times in my truck that I can tell when it happens and can make it to an autoparts store before my battery dies. I'm also really good at changing both with some really basic hand tools in a parking lot.

All in all its really easy, just remove the belt, unbolt the alternator, unplug the alternator and replace in reverse order. Thats after you take the battery out. Then after the new alternator goes in you replace the battery.

If you do the battery then you'll short it out with the bad alternator. If you do the alternator it might burn up with the shorted battery. If you go to an auto parts store they'll be able to test both for you, typically for free.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Chances are, the battery is shot.

Sounds like the alternator is going out (or has gone out)

So there you have it. It's the battery.
Or the alternator.

PS -please say whichever is least expensive so I'll feel better!!

Oh, ok. It's probably just a bad lightbulb.

Another alternative is to get LED replacements for your interior lights

Well, there you go. Problem solved.

God, I love you guys.