chuckakers

How many ways can you....

I'm waiting to see a post from one of the people in the video

I'm waiting for the video's poster to remove it from YouTube. Of course, if, in the meantime, someone were to download it onto their hard-drive, and then re-upload it onto YouTube, that couldn't happen. ;)

I'm waiting to see a post from one of the people in the video

I'm waiting for the video's poster to remove it from YouTube. Of course, if, in the meantime, someone were to download it onto their hard-drive, and then re-upload it onto YouTube, that couldn't happen. ;)

Not to worry. The videos I saw were posted by the tandem passengers, so getting them off will be a bit more difficult than just having an insider pull them.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

This guy is brave...or really stupid - or more likely both. Comes from above and behind and flies right between a tandem and another vidiot flying formation filming - and presumably focusing on - the tandem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrkhMNDytoQ

These guys are trying to out-stupid each other.

"The deceased jumpers were making a tandem skydive. The freefall and canopy deployment were uneventful, but once under canopy…"
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

These guys are a riot!

Check out the CRW at 6:13 with a landing 1 minute 26 seconds later. Let's see, that would mean they were doing CReW at an altitude of...hey, anyone know the average descent rate of a tandem?

And LOVE the extreme low altitude tight canopy video work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWo8Jk1pOs0&feature=related
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The really scary part about all the hijinx is that you can tell that wasn't the first time they put on that show. That routine probably happens on a pretty regular basis, which means that at least two TIs, one camera guy, a DZO and an S&TA all seem to think it's ok.

Given the footage on YouTube plus the incident in June 2008 with the Twin Otter that got the A/C Owner quite excited at the time, there would appear that there are some complacency issues. Mad Skillz indeed.....

Question - Do the Tandem Manufacturers specifically ban CReW with their Tandem Systems? (i.e. would this be cause for pulling rating(s)?)

Blue Ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Question - Do the Tandem Manufacturers specifically ban CReW with their Tandem Systems? (i.e. would this be cause for pulling rating(s)?)

Yes and yes.

It would be interesting, though, to see if the USPA would take action on the instructors in the video.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have emailed Jim Crouch, and Marc Procos with a link to this video.
So far, no response from either.
I will try again to incite some interest in this before we are reading another incident report.

It is time for this cowboy bullshit with passengers being put in harms way to stop!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Check out the CRW at 6:13 with a landing 1 minute 26 seconds later. Let's see, that would mean they were doing CReW at an altitude of...hey, anyone know the average descent rate of a tandem?

Whatever the math works out to, I just want to bring up the fact that tandem reserves are designed to open slow in case they need to be deployed at tandem terminal. As such, all tandem decision altitudes are significantly higher than for sport rigs.

Another tidbit you may have missed, starting around 6:10 you can see two other canopies flying in close proximity in the background of the video. They're higher than the tandem featured in the video which means to me that it's another tandem who exited after the featured tandem pair. End result - there are more than one camera flyer / TI who engage in this type of behavior at this DZ.

Now to be fair, this is Skydive Twin Cities, so there's a chance that these videos are all from the DZs evil twin brother DZ, who does this stuff to make the good DZ look bad. It happens all the time in soap operas.

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Whatever the math works out to, I just want to bring up the fact that tandem reserves are designed to open slow in case they need to be deployed at tandem terminal. As such, all tandem decision altitudes are significantly higher than for sport rigs.

Another tidbit you may have missed, starting around 6:10 you can see two other canopies flying in close proximity in the background of the video. They're higher than the tandem featured in the video which means to me that it's another tandem who exited after the featured tandem pair. End result - there are more than one camera flyer / TI who engage in this type of behavior at this DZ.

Now to be fair, this is Skydive Twin Cities, so there's a chance that these videos are all from the DZs evil twin brother DZ, who does this stuff to make the good DZ look bad. It happens all the time in soap operas.

Oh yes, there are several different TI's and vidiots doing this stuff in the various youtube clips I've watched.

As for it being a different DZ making Twin Cities look bad, I doubt it. All the vids I've seen were shot at the same DZ. I don't recognize it, but the tandem passengers that posted the vids all called the place by that name.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

As for it being a different DZ making Twin Cities look bad, I doubt it. All the vids I've seen were shot at the same DZ. I don't recognize it, but the tandem passengers that posted the vids all called the place by that name.

That was a joke based on the 'twin' in the name, and the 'evil twin' motiff employed by soap operas. I know it's the DZ they say it is.

As for it being a different DZ making Twin Cities look bad, I doubt it.

While I took the first comment as a play on the evil "twin" always present in fiction, the nasty thing about the internet is that a quick review of STC's site leads to mapquest which includes sat photos, which looks very similar to the ground shots in the videos. So the twin must look JUST alike...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Out of interest, is there any reason why no-contact formation flying shouldn't be done with tandems? - with an appropriate distance maintained.

Stupidity of some of the moves in the videos aside, some shots of the time under canopy do make the video a bit more interesting for the student.

Out of interest, is there any reason why no-contact formation flying shouldn't be done with tandems? - with an appropriate distance maintained.

Stupidity of some of the moves in the videos aside, some shots of the time under canopy do make the video a bit more interesting for the student.

There's no reason at all not to do some well-orchastrated formation flying with a tandem. And I agree - some of the moves in the video are stupid.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Chuck- your profile reads that you've been banned from a dz or two. Let's see that video :)

Will

Since you seem to be the self appointed safety police, I'd like to see that video also.

What makes you guys think I was kicked off a DZ for something skydiving related? What makes you think I have been kicked off a DZ at all? Maybe humor in a profile is beyond your imaginative capabilities.

And by the way, I never stated nor implied that I am the safety police. In fact, I am anything but that. Go search youtube for "skydive twin cities". No self appointed police are necessary to see that what they were/are doing was/is over the line. Their actions exposed unsuspecting first jump students to risks they did not knowingly sign up for. That's wrong regardless of how well they pulled off their antics.

I would still like to hear from a representative of the DZ. Something tells me they know about this thread and are following it.

Hello?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Chuck- your profile reads that you've been banned from a dz or two. Let's see that video :)

Will

Since you seem to be the self appointed safety police, I'd like to see that video also.

What makes you guys think I was kicked off a DZ for something skydiving related? What makes you think I have been kicked off a DZ at all?

Maybe it was something in your profile.

Home DZ:Any one I'm not banned from, heh, heh

Don't see any way of interpreting it other than you have been banned from a (some) dropzone. Don't be so defensive.

I'm curious why you are scouring youtube for videos from this DZ? Not an exuse for Twin Cities but I'm sure if you tried you could find bad examples from any DZ, even the one you call home, the one you haven't been banned from. :D

I'm curious why you are scouring youtube for videos from this DZ? Not an exuse for Twin Cities but I'm sure if you tried you could find bad examples from any DZ

My guess would be he happened across the first one, and then went looking to see if that was just a bad example, or their standard operating procedure. As we all know, it proved to be the latter.

To turn the spotlight around, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the content of the videos? Do you find this to be an issue that should be brought to light, or should the 'safety police' just let them off with a warning?

I guess I don't fully understand the focus on the OP, and what he or his actions have to do with the subject matter at hand?

Will

How could you say that Timmy? Clearly Chuck is concerned about protecting the tandem profession as a whole, and is concerned wiith the safety of those passengers. Aren't you?