skymama

Parents: Do you give your kids Valentine's Day presents?

I've always given my kids a little something for Valentine's Day. When they were little, it was something small like a card, candy, a stuffed animal, a t-shirt...usually under $20 worth of stuff. Now, I'm planning on giving them cash which will be the equivalent of just buying them a tank of gas.

It was argued with me yesterday that Valentine's Day is for adults only and if you give anything to a child it shouldn't be more than a card. What do you think?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't get them anything significant, but that is largely because their aunt always gets them something really cool. I send them a card, because they are still at the ages (8 and 5) where they love to receive mail delivered by the postman. Sometimes I will put stickers or a temporary tattoo in the card. The whole family gets a special dessert that night.

Too wierd... don't you think? Anyway, kids get way too many presents and adults need an adults only occasion, to teach kids that the world does not (and should not) revolve around them. IMHO

P.S I have a friend who has a couple of kids... When one of them has a b/day, she would buy BOTH kids a pressent - sending entirely the wrong message, I would suggest:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've always given my kids a little something for Valentine's Day. When they were little, it was something small like a card, candy, a stuffed animal, a t-shirt...usually under $20 worth of stuff. Now, I'm planning on giving them cash which will be the equivalent of just buying them a tank of gas.

It was argued with me yesterday that Valentine's Day is for adults only and if you give anything to a child it shouldn't be more than a card. What do you think?

I think thats pure BS. Valentines day is about expressing your love to ALL those you love. I agree with your tradition of taking the occasion to also express your love to your children. Dont change a thing about your perspective or philosophy. On this & so many other subjects. From reading some of your posts I'd have to say IMHO I respect you & your beliefs above most others. Yours are far more admirable & respectable.

This is an interesting question. My father (not my stepdad who I talk to all the time, but my biological father who calls me on my b-day and Christmas if I'm lucky) called this morning. He said he'd just been thinking how it would be nice to get his daughter something for Valentines Day, and what would I like? Would I prefer something like earrings, or a gift card for Best Buy? It was the oddest conversation, but kind of cool I guess. I was just glad he had thought of me, a card saying that would have been a very pleasant surprise.

yes...

our kids ARE an important part, of the manifestation of our Love...

and as they get older My wife and i BEAM at what they've accomplished, and at how they've become responsible adults.....

Nothing fancy, but for sure a card and something sweet, so that they KNOW they are loved...
just like they were when they were toddlers, and pre-teens...:)

jt

I always got presents as a kid for valentines day and I also get my kids stuff. Usually a stuffed animal and candy since they are still small ( 9, 7 & 5)
My mom also sends then McDonalds money for Valentines day and Halloween. They are only little once, I bend over backwards trying to make sure their childhood is a good one.:)

Valentines shouldn't be more than a card and candy, period. When did it turn into a gift exchange?

WTF ?
How is expression of love limited to candy & cards, as opposed to specifically relating to the personality & interests of the recipient of our affections. Or the relationship itself coupled with the imagination & compassion of the gift giver.
What if the person you are trying to express your love to is a blind diabetic? Candy & cards does not exactly say I Love You in that instance now does it? More like drop dead or I say I love you but the truth of the matter is I can't be bothered taking the time to get to know & understand who you really are inside nor do I care about your needs, feelings or wishes.
Not good.
Freedom of expression. Love is in the air.

Yep. We do. Daddy brings home flowers and a candy heart for Jaleesa, and candy and a tiny little toy (prolly came with the candy) for the boys. He asks each of the kids if they'll be his Valentine.

It's terribly sweet. :)
Then mama gets her card, flowers and candy, and we put the kiddos to bed. ;):ph34r:

Daddy is kind of a traditionalist and a romantic.

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Apparently....you gots some more training to do to that new hubby...

Mr Smartypants, I didn't even say who the conversation was with.

You're right, but that's beside the point. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Valentines shouldn't be more than a card and candy, period. When did it turn into a gift exchange?

WTF ?
How is expression of love limited to candy & cards, as opposed to specifically relating to the personality & interests of the recipient of our affections. Or the relationship itself coupled with the imagination & compassion of the gift giver.
What if the person you are trying to express your love to is a blind diabetic? Candy & cards does not exactly say I Love You in that instance now does it? More like drop dead or I say I love you but the truth of the matter is I can't be bothered taking the time to get to know & understand who you really are inside nor do I care about your needs, feelings or wishes.
Not good.
Freedom of expression. Love is in the air.

I think you're missing the big picture of my post. Valentines isn't another Christmas. Don't believe the hype.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher