skysprite

My Grandfather

My Grandfather is in the hospital right now, and at this point no one knows how much longer he has. He could pass tonight, or he could pull through and live through Christmas, another year, whatever. No one knows, so everyone is hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I sent my Grandmother an email tonight asking that she read it to him. It essentially said he was loved, and I told him a story that I think he'd get a kick out of, thanked him for some of my early childhood memories, etc.

My Dad called and talked to him tonight. He's still kicking and giving the nurses and doctors hell! Apparently they took him by ambulance and when they picked him up, they forgot to grab his teeth. Grandpa hasn't lost his sense of humor, because he kept telling my Dad he wants his teeth because dammit, he wants to bite someone if they don't get him ______! :D

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers for either a speedy recovery, or an easy, painless transition. :)
~skysprite

Well, he's home now and the doctors have given him about four days. Everyone there is handling it well, all things considered. But he is still being a "punk" about it though and not following doctor's orders. He's not supposed to leave the house, so of course that's his current mission! My grandmother and uncle tried to take the keys to his truck away, but he wouldn't have any of that! They all finally agreed that he could keep his keys, which made him feel better. However my uncle, a car mechanic, waited until grandpa was sleeping, then went and removed the alternator from grandpa's truck! :D If grandpa is able to sneak past his guards somehow, I can just hear him now... "damn POS Ford won't start!" grumble grumble grumble :D

All of us here have essentially said our goodbyes, so now we just wait. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few more "grandpa stories" to chuckle at before he passes though. Grandpa wouldn't have it any other way!

~skysprite

Doctors are often wrong :)
I don't think your gramps is going anywhere (I'm nearly never wrong)....if so, it sounds like you all accept it.

Here's to your grandpa making it long past 4 days :D

prayers, vibes & good wishes sent your way...

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

A while back when my grandmother was sick, grandpa insisted on getting her a little bell that she could ring when she needed something. He'd hear that, then come help her right away.

They've searched high and low for that bell so he can use it now, but they can't find it! So instead grandpa said "hell!, there's an old cow bell in the back! Gimme that!" So he's currently using an antique brass cow bell that you can probably hear from two states away when he needs something! :D No one in my family does things the "traditional" or "normal" way. :):D

But anyway, he's still with us tonight, but not doing so well.

~skysprite

Grandpa's a fighter all right! But a little more than four months later, he peacefully passed tonight around 5:30pm pst. Everyone has had time to accept that this was going to happen, and is handling it well. Gradma talked to us on the phone for a while tonight, then said she was going to get a hot cup of tea, make up the bed with fresh sheets, then go to bed early so she could keep her hair appointment tomorrow. Said she might as well look good when people come to see her.

The thing that gave me chills was when grandma said grandpa has finally been reunited with his first love. His first wife died very young, and "everyone" believes that she was his real true love. Yet he and grandma had something very special too. To an outsider it might sound like an odd comment, but if you knew my grandparents it would have given you chills too. It gives her comfort to know that he's loved where he is, as well as loved here too.

I know death is traditionally supposed to be difficult and extremely sad, but I can't help but feel that all of us affected are at peace. Especially grandma. Not to say she hasn't cried or felt sad, but there's an underlying acceptance and peacefulness in her voice as well.
~skysprite

Prayers for all of you. Grandpas are special. :)

Oh yes.... I still miss my favorite grandpa, Papa, 23 years later...

Always used to call me "William Wiggle Whistle"... because my hearing aid earmold would allow those darned feedback whines... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It sounds like your grandpa was truly loved. It is never easy when close family members die but the memories I'm sure will continue to bring you comfort. My condolences and good vibes sent your way.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I know death is traditionally supposed to be difficult and extremely sad, but I can't help but feel that all of us affected are at peace. Especially grandma. Not to say she hasn't cried or felt sad, but there's an underlying acceptance and peacefulness in her voice as well.

I'm glad to hear that. You take care; my love to your family.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Much love to you and your Family Tiff!

Sounds like you all have a lot of strength and peace with his passing.

Life eternal, love immortal....

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?