martimarr

Anyone have a GATH helment

If you search around a bit you'll find a few threads on Gath helmets.

Short answer is, they're cheap plastic, don't expect much from them. On the flip side, no skydiving helmet is certified for impacts (except the Pro-Tec and that's the bicycle standard), so you pays your money and you take your chances.

Have you had a chance to hold one and put one one? After that you will either like it and buy it or you'll laugh and wonder why you wanted one in the first place.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have one without the visor. I have no reason not to like it yet, but it hasn't been put to the test either. I will tell you this though, it didn't seen to help much last time I got kicked in the face...go figure, huh.

On a past post on Gaths, one guy mentioned that in the event that your helmet gets snagged on something rigid, the gath plastic will tear before your head gets torn off, and that wouldn't be the case with a carbon fiber type helmet.

Someone else mentioned that the visor wasn't too good for much other than head down.

Hope this helps. Do a search, but you'll find differing and biased opinions as usual. Just pick the ones you agree with.

They do make a nice external mount audible cover though.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

This helment reminds me of G- Force for those who watched the cartoon but from what I've read has little or know protection the coolest looking Helment I've ever seen but worth less on impact.

this is why most of us bought this helmet :)
I have one in L size... M was too small, and L is a bit floaty. Wouldn't want a real hit on it.
The great advantage is you can jump without goggles. But I still like to have goggles for under canopy because the visor distorts a bit the vision. Some visor colors are better for low lights (yellow/red). Blue or grey are not very good for short sighted(that's me.. and I have a blue, but I can jump with my glasses on).

Oh yeah, and it's also good for th winter, gives you "some" protection against the cold air.

edited to add... as you are in the US and have kids, will be a cool part of your disguise for Halloween:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have a Gath hat...got a deal on it after my Gunner was stolen.

The Gath is much more form fitting...doesn't look like a big black egg on your head. The visor would be cool for HD, but I am not there yet. I've used it on tracks and Head Up jumps with no problems.

The visor does change your perception a little bit...I don't think I'd want it down while landing.

One thing is for sure though, my Gunner was very quiet, the Gath is not. I think I'll start wearing earplugs for the ride to altitude from now on.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

If you like the Gath but don't like the protection buy a larger size and add some padding. BTW I once tripped and smacked the side of my head on the ground good and hard, I was real happy that I was wearing my Gath then. It's also easy to figure out ways to mount Dytters on them (I have an audible on both sides). Yeah they're pretty minimal but so is the price. I don't have experience with the visor model but like the original I imagine that it will at least make it easier for a cleanup crew to scoop up your brains .
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

On a past post on Gaths, one guy mentioned that in the event that your helmet gets snagged on something rigid, the gath plastic will tear before your head gets torn off, and that wouldn't be the case with a carbon fiber type helmet.

I like the idea that if someday i hit a fence or a tree, there's probably less chance of a nail or a short sharp branch going through my carbon firbe helmet than there is of it going through a Gath.

I also like the fact that my dytter is inside my helmet, less chance of me losing it to a riser strike.

The Gath with the visor sure does look cool though.

This is jmo, ymmv.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

>>Short answer is, they're cheap plastic, don't expect much from them. On the flip side, no skydiving helmet is certified for impacts (except the Pro-Tec and that's the bicycle standard), so you pays your money and you take your chances.
<<

Don't be too hasty. Gath helmets are actually rated for impact. http://www.murrays.com/gath/aboutgath.html

Gath also offers a beefier helmet called the Gedi. They have removable ear pads and are offered with a visor as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Not that I don't believe you, but the link that you provided has nothing about any certification. The only thing close is a line saying that thay're NOT rated. Could you clarify?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I got the Gath to protect me from the things most likely to occur: hitting my head in the door, hitting my head on the ramp of the skyvan, someone knocking their helmeted skull into me while they fasten their leg straps that they should have done on the ground in the first place, a knock in freefall, a hard PLF.

I don't expect it to save me from a hook turn into the runway. I'm not sure about a nail...any nail at the right angle to penetrate a Gath is going to punch through Bonehead stuff as well...IMO.

The visor, while not the sturdiest thing in the world, is still going to protect you from any kind of glancing blow to the face...and keeps ice crystals and rain from pummeling you in the face on exits.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Like i said, just my opinion, your mileage may vary. We all have our personal preferances i guess. I also liked the idea of a Gath when i was starting out, now it's just easier to mount my cameras on my Bonehead Optik :P

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Don't be too hasty. Gath helmets are actually rated for impact.

Really? This from the manufacturer's website(http://www.gathsports.com/warranty.shtml):

Disclaimer

Your Gath is NOT designed to provide the level of impact absorbtion expected of cycling or other land-based headgear.

Gath's unique design is totally different to conventional bulky crash helmet.

Gath Helmets Trade Off a percentage of impact absorption for a more close fitting layer of defence to better suit high performance extreme sports.

Gath protects against the more frequent sporting head injury caused by glancing blows rather than from a direct head first "crash" into a fixed solid object, where serious injury is likely to occur regardless of helmet.

Gath provides a lightweight super snug fitting layer of defence against superficial head injury and water pressure induced ear perforation and the damaging effects from sun, wind and salt spray.

All of this protection while maintaining a streamline fit to minimise the risk of possible neck injury when penetrating air, water and snow at high speed.

Gath high performance headgear is uniquely designed to provide comfort, total vision and freedom of movement, a must for extreme action sports.

I can see my statement was way too vague and possibly confusing.

The Gath Convertible (Gedi), offers a "Class of Protection.": Simple design category (CAT.1) of the personal protective equipment (EC DIRECTIVE) regulations 1992.

The Original Gath Hat does not have an official rating. There is no standard that fits into our needs or the needs of surfers. Most ratings cater to the motorcyle industry. However, the Gath has been beta tested over the last 12 years with good results.

What you have quoted there applies to most skydiving helmets as well. Unlike motorcycle helmets or bike helmets, skydiving helmets are not designed for direct impact with a solid object.

Do I think helmets such as the Mindwarp, Evo or Hurriccane offer more protection than a Gath? Yes. But not by as much as most people would like to believe.

Most skydiving fatalities are caused by blunt force trauma. Even with a motorcycle helmet, such a high rate of impact can be fatal due to internal injuries and/or a broken neck.

When purchasing a skydiving helmet consider helmets that are there to protect your head from glancing blows.

To think that your helmet is going to save you from high force impact MAY give you a false sense of security. Instead you should be relying on your training to prevent high force impacts.

I have a great article called, "Searching for the truth behind helmet design." It's quite informative, but very long. If anyone is interested in reading it, please PM me and I'll send you a copy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

The Gath Convertible (Gedi), offers a "Class of Protection.": Simple design category (CAT.1) of the personal protective equipment (EC DIRECTIVE) regulations 1992.

Oh, that's interesting. I've never seen one live, what are they like? Comparable to what other helmets?

Do I think helmets such as the Mindwarp, Evo or Hurriccane offer more protection than a Gath? Yes. But not by as much as most people would like to believe.

And again, good old Pro-Tec will protect you the most unless something is out to puncture your helmet and your skull.

I've developed a test that's suitable for testing skydiving helmets against such hits that the user is likely to take during a skydive:

If someone says to you: "Pro-Tecs are worthless, they offer no protection!", have that person wear a Protec, and whack them on the head with a baseball bat. Then, ask whether or not they'd like to repeat the experience without the helmet. You can also try the same test with a Bonehead(this will probably hurt a bit more). Personally, I wouldn't like being the test subject while wearing my Gath.

For puncture resistance tests, hammer a nail into the bat, and cut off the head of the nail.:P

To think that your helmet is going to save you from high force impact MAY give you a false sense of security. Instead you should be relying on your training to prevent high force impacts.

Yes, it's a terrible trap to fall into thinking your helmet would protect you. That's why I usually jump without one.:P