ffp1974

Truck Drivers

PM me, over a million half miles and 21 yrs. running all lower 48 and the great white north.

so is that 500,000 miles? :DB|
that is less than 500 miles a week, there are regular folks who drive pick up trucks that commute farther than that, what's up, you a real a truck driver? :P
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Because we may discuss topics that would be better done in a non public manner and I will not have a public record talking about the in's and outs of "hard running" becuase it's not always legal, if you want to get an education then go spend a month or two doing a ride along with an Owner operator and not some company driver working for JB Hunt.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You mean you don't want to talk about getting 4 hours of sleep if your lucky and how to fake your log books? You mean the best way to avoid weigh stations? You mean talk about how companys will fire you if you don't run illegal hours?
That kind of stuff you don't want to talk about in public?

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

i'm was a 'commodity relocation engineer ;)' for about 10 years and a million miles.

bottom line, great job if you're single. if you have a family (that you like), forget about it.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Hi ffp,
Drove over the road long haul big glass for Schneider for "almost" two years. OK money but living in a "dog house" behind the drivers seat got OLD real fast!! The clincher was my weekends!! Suppose to get two days off and I was lucky to get a half a day!!!!!!! 'Not even enought time to wash my clothes and take a nap!! Forget getting a little free time to go fishing!! 'Past by lots of great DZ's too....get to stop by??....ahqhhaahahahahhah!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

what about local runs. Not cross country. Is the money less for those kind of jobs?

It really depends on the location, and jobs you might qualify for. I ran otr for about 10 years with about a mil miles too. I made good money. I also drive local. When I had the nightly run, the cash was so so, so I took an otr position with the same company. Ended up driving 134,000 miles that year, for around 60g's, and only worked one saturday the entire year.

I have (ok, had, until recently) a spotless record, but still had a very difficult time getting into the job I have now. I work 3-4 nights a week, and make what I was making m-f, but now I'm home every day. This new job is a Teamsters union job.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Hey I am thinking about changing careers. Anybody out there a truck driver. I would like to discuss the pros and cons of the profession.

Thanks

Shit and don't bother, you'll not be at home much and work a zillion hours. Like the person said above it's a single bloke's game. Besides traffic these days is so bad it just makes it a pain in the arse.
Become an electrician or a plumber etc.

Note to truck drivers If you see a woman stopped in the middle of noplace its late at night her hazzard lights are flashing please stop and see if they are ok.

Thanks
LilD
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

I spent almost 15 years driving regional and local, in my father's rigs...mostly freightboxes but an occasional flatbed. My father is an owner/operator, as is my brother and most of my cousins and uncles, are/were company drivers...either freight, flat or tanker. I still work on trucks for both O/Os and fleets so I'm well aquainted with several drivers, on both ends of the spectrum.

I come from a long line of truck drivers and have driven most types of trucks, for most of my life but I was just "a guy, driving a truck" and never, a "truck driver". It takes a rare breed, to be a company driver and I'd have to say a special breed, to even take a shot at being a successful O/O. There are ups and downs to both but there's more than most folks realize, to being an O/O.

Truckers are basically land-sailors, it's a similar lifestyle and something you have to be willing to accept, as does your family (if you have one). Just like when I was in the Navy, I see some families that make it work and some, that just can't. Even as a single guy (or gal), it isn't for everyone. With the unstable price of fuel, I wouldn't be rushing into anything transportation-related. I urge extreme caution.
"T'was ever thus."

I worked a different type of "driving" job. I drove the display trucks for promotional companies, pickups up to full NASCAR style transforming big rigs. Talked the PR message, did TV spots, and rep. for whatever product they were pushing. Great money, per diem, and fun...and hit lots of dropzones. But, in essence my job was like being a greeter at Walmart....but god damn the money was good. My wife drove the second rig on one tour...and we were able to bank 10,000 a month, after all road expenses....gotta love per diem. Hard little industry to get into, but worth it. I did a little local freight work in So-Cal...it sucked...nothing like arriving at a drop on time, just to wait 3 hours to get unloaded.