jtval

Bluesicians and Blues music fans

So I dig this song Drowning Blues

(highlight the song name and press the play button)

I wonder if I am biased since this guy is a very good friend of mine.

I'm sure that "momma's boy" would get mixed reviews but he worte it while his mom was dying. It brings tears to my eyes because I miss her, too.

Edit:
I guess I should ask the question:
What do you think of the songs?
If you listen to more than one tell me how you like each. You can give the poll answer based on the over all or you could listen to one song etc.
My photos

My Videos

Yea? cool.

We used to be in heavy metal bands. we grew up and found blues. I went to the military and started jumping (still playing on occasion but not in a bands for 11 years)

He just kept getting better and better. I dig it.
My photos

My Videos

Any real(good) rock is blues based.

I think I foudn the blues when I learned the basic 12 bar and started learning to play lead guitar over it.

Glad to hear that many of you like it. I'll pass it along
My photos

My Videos

I think it a good tune, but I do not like the mix and I think it was probably recorded and spliced together one track at a time. I would much rather have at least the bass and drums track one solid no-protools edit. They are not locked together as a band should be. A better producer might be able to make it happen. It might sound better to me through better equipment, but don't think so. I think it good enough for the masses. :)
If you like this, check out The Mighty Orq........The Ghost Train CD was recorded live at a bar in Houston. New music is always cool.:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Squeak,
Hootie? really? I haven't heared much from them other then the radio hits. Glad you liked it though. I'm checking out your link. not too bad.

Cloud seeker,
Yea the tracks are definitely stacked. My buddy is the only musician you hear playing on those tracks.
I was suprised when I heard the keys(piano)

He's been in many bands in the Va area but he is currently doing solo project stuff.

I'm sure his recording equipment is probably mid line but his guitar and bass stuff it high quality.
(not sure about his keyboard, drum machine though)

I'll show you a track from another friend who has cheap gear. He's a GREAT song writer I love jamming with him and listening to him live...I hate listening to his recorded stuff.:S

My photos

My Videos

Great song. Fantastic blues voice - sounds almost exactly like the recently departed Jeff Healey. May his Mom rest peacefully . . .

I didnt know Jeff Healy died [:/] I love slide blues.

I'll bet he didnt see that comming:|

:P:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Great song. Fantastic blues voice - sounds almost exactly like the recently departed Jeff Healey. May his Mom rest peacefully . . .

I didnt know Jeff Healy died [:/] I love slide blues.

I'll bet he didnt see that comming:|

:P:ph34r:

I didnt know he died either....

funny joke, even though it was a lame one.:D
My photos

My Videos

Squeak,
Hootie? really? I haven't heared much from them other then the radio hits. Glad you liked it though. I'm checking out your link. not too bad.

Cloud seeker,
Yea the tracks are definitely stacked. My buddy is the only musician you hear playing on those tracks.
I was suprised when I heard the keys(piano)

He's been in many bands in the Va area but he is currently doing solo project stuff.

I'm sure his recording equipment is probably mid line but his guitar and bass stuff it high quality.
(not sure about his keyboard, drum machine though)

I'll show you a track from another friend who has cheap gear. He's a GREAT song writer I love jamming with him and listening to him live...I hate listening to his recorded stuff.:S

That changes everything, I thought it was a pro finished product. If he plays everything and stacked and tracked it himself, that is very cool. This is very hard to do well....unless you are Prince or that guy from Boston.;):)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Any real(good) rock is blues based.

Question I've always pondered, and this seems like the place to ask it --

Would BTO's Blue Collar (1976 or thereabouts) be considered a blues song ?

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Not sure. I don't know the song by name.

Cloud seeker-
No problem. It's good to hear some technical feedback. I think its good that you thought it was a weak pro mix. That's probably still better than a decnt amatuer mix:D

My photos

My Videos

I dont know if I agree with that.. i just think there are to many 'rock guitar bluesmen' living in the shadow of SRV

Blues as a genre has a lot to offer particularly when you take the guitar out of the spot light and make it part of the song again.

There are still some interesting blues musicians around but there are only so many times you can vary a blues shuffle before you start thinking you've heard it all before. Still, if people like it, that's all that matters eh?

yea I understand what youre saying but that oges with every style of music.

How many times can you listen to the same drum beat in rap?

How many time can you listen to a hillbilly cry about his truck?:D

But if the musicians are good they bring something "listenable" to the tune.

My photos

My Videos

So, did that mean you liked this song or not?
Imo I think the guitar isn't overdone in these songs.

well its ok, but it (that song) is not my 'Blues thing' at all.. for me its prime example of the guitar being in the spot light to much, the entire song is built around one riff and its frills that dont really add anything to the song for me. Basic riff is ok but it doesnt go anywhere.

I'm much more a fan of the next song on his site 'Drowning Blues' where the guitar is definitely still there, but is 'singing the song' as much as he is. While it also has its 'solo sections' but they link the verses nicely imo and make for a better 'complete song' for me.

I'm a huge fan of Albert King ,Gary Moore style blues which he is definitely in, but I prefer my Blues/Rock to be a bit more separated I guess. Kind of what I think Jack is referring to.. the 'Rock Blues' has been done to death alot lately and I can see where its starts to all sound the same.

I tend to prefer the stripped down 'Blues' when I want that mood and the more aggressive Rock/Metal when I want something heavier/more lively. Those who blur the line to much (and so stand in the shadow of SRV) dont do so much for me lately..

edit to put Albert King first as he was there first