Icon134

Ergonomic Keyboards

So at work I recently started using one of those ergonomic Keyboards with a split between the center keys and a bulge in the middle and although initially it was rather awkward... The keyboard is begining to grow on me...

This isn't going to cause problems at home when I try to change that keyboard to a ergo one too is it? :D:$

and has any of y'all use an ergo keyboard... and what did you think?:)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have used one for several years and they're great -- it takes a while to get used to them, but they do wonders if you have carpal tunnel or if you have bursitis in your shoulder!!

If you're getting the ergonomic keyboard, you ought to try a mouse with a track ball, too.

Love it. I even have an extra one still in the box in the closet in case I fuck up the one I'm using now. Spilled beer a couple of times in the past and it was getting to be a pain having to go to the store to buy a new one. :$

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We've had one for a long time and I love it. Now regular keyboards are a pain for me. I don't like that "scrunched up" feeling with my hands so close together.

Yep, what he said.

I can type on a laptop and on an ergo keyboard. Put me on a standard keyboard and I don't know what to do with myself. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you're getting the ergonomic keyboard, you ought to try a mouse with a track ball, too.

I'm actually seriously considering the Kensington Expert Trackball after hearing rave reviews for it here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826125017

especially since my bluetooth logitech mouse at home has been acting up lately... (almost everytime I left click on something it double clicks... I assume there is a short or something causing problems as the "double click speed" isn't set overly fast... that or it is a bluetooth bug in windows... which isn't unthinkable.)

I'm just afraid that if I get an ergonomic keyboard at home my girlfriend will leave me... :P:D (I guess she is a little particular about changing keyboards...)

I've considered getting an ergonomic but keeping my wireless keyboard as well and keeping both connected, the ergo for me to use and the wireless for her to use... :ph34r:B|)

BTW, How are you Scott? It's been a while since we talked.[:/]

I've been good... I've been busy lately... I turned 4 (sky b-day) a couple of days ago and was racking my brain trying to remember the name of the other guy in my first jump course with me.

I hope all is well with you as well... :)

You're always busy. You need to chill a bit. Hope the keyboard gives you some needed relaxation.

I could use a vacation... [:/]

Happy 4th b'day!

Thanks... :)

The guy in your first jump course was named Roscoe.

Naw... it was either Chris or Nick... I just don't remember and since I've moved away from Georgia I almost never see my former jump mates...

I'm doing well.

good to hear bud. :)

The guy in your first jump course was named Roscoe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naw... it was either Chris or Nick... I just don't remember and since I've moved away from Georgia I almost never see my former jump mates...

My guess then would be Nick. If it was Chris, you'd remember.;)

We've had one for a long time and I love it. Now regular keyboards are a pain for me. I don't like that "scrunched up" feeling with my hands so close together.

Yep, what he said.

I can type on a laptop and on an ergo keyboard. Put me on a standard keyboard and I don't know what to do with myself. :D

Ditto.

Call me spoiled, but I've had one for at least...15 years? I don't know when they came out, but my father always had the latest & greatest computer stuff times two, so I always stole the extra >:(.

Like others, I really can't stand the standard. Even in "typing class" in school (where they used standards)--while I was still the fastest typer with the least errors--I found it royally annoying. [:/]

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'm just afraid that if I get an ergonomic keyboard at home my girlfriend will leave me... :P:D (I guess she is a little particular about changing keyboards...)

I was the same way until my computer at work died and I had to use a co-worker's machine for a day. I had made fun of him for a year for using the "fruity" keyboard but by the end of that day I had requested one of my own for my new computer. It's been 6 years now. I recently bought a laptop and it's not horrible using it, but I definitely feel the "crunch" in my wrists. Nowhere near as bad as using a normal desktop keyboard though.
Killing threads since 2004.

So at work I recently started using one of those ergonomic Keyboards with a split between the center keys and a bulge in the middle and although initially it was rather awkward... The keyboard is begining to grow on me...

This isn't going to cause problems at home when I try to change that keyboard to a ergo one too is it? :D:$

and has any of y'all use an ergo keyboard... and what did you think?:)

I've had one at work for about 10 or so years now. LOVE it. I felt like I had a split personality when I first started using it (and I type FAST so it was painful at first). In fact, I have an extra one stashed under my desk, just in case.

When I bought my iMac, I thought I would HATE the keyboard but I've had no problems adjusting to it.

A standard keyboard at work, OTOH, is a PITA. Can't stand them.
'Shell

Love it. I even have an extra one still in the box in the closet in case I fuck up the one I'm using now. Spilled beer a couple of times in the past and it was getting to be a pain having to go to the store to buy a new one. :$

If it's one of the cheaper models (i.e. non-wireless, non-backlit), try cleaning the broken beer-laden keyboard in the dishwasher (lowest heat seating, top rack only, keys facing down, small pinch of detergent, skip the drying cycle, no other dishes). Once washed, leave it on top of a radiator for about 3 to 5 days.

It has worked with an 80% perfect success rate on dirty, grime filled keyboards that I was about to throw away. 4 out of 5 keyboards. That were reused into spare/friend/student systems... The one that didn't work was already not working.

Google "wash keyboard in dishwasher" -- it's a classic last ditch geek trick; something to attempt before throwing away a keyboard that has stuck keys or gummy keys. Not to be tried on fancy keyboards (wireless keyboards, or with an LCD screen, LED backlighting), but works fine on good old fashioned 101/104 key keyboards. And simple ergonomic keyboards that don't have fancy extras (i.e. Microsoft Natural Keyboard)