skydiverek

Riggers - how many reserve REPACKS and SAVES do you have?

I couldn't help notice that "most" of the replys to this thread are from people with small number of repacks, maybe like me once you been working in rigging a while you just stop counting. However One thing that does strick me even more is that very few people seem to get alcohol when they have a save.

I say it's time to start a campaign to revitalise this inportant skydiving tradition. If jumpers don't keep their riggers hungover we might start jumping instead of doing all those repairs and repacks! then where would they be?

Join the campaign to keep riggers drunk.

we need a catchy acronym. Any suggestions.

Nullius in Verba

Nowadays I don't buy my rigger anything either, since he did get paid for it. Main difference is dat is costs $ 100,- nowadays (at my Rigger, NLD)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I say it's time to start a campaign to revitalise this inportant skydiving tradition.(quote)

If I'm not mistaken it is a time honored tradition dating back to the last part of WW1 when pilots started to wear bail out rigs but still didn't trust in using them, so if a pilot used it "it took balls to jump out" and the rigger was rewarded with a bottle of booze, during war a good bottle was like getting gold and was the ultimate thank you,"I live today to fight tomorrow".
The guy with the most bottles was the most trusted and the first guy to see after a mission for a good shot of booze.

I agree that this time honored tradition should still take place, it is part of rigging history.

I hear the most common reason in the last 10 yrs being "the 1000 jump rule" funny in some 35 plus years around this sport I don't recall a 1000 jump rule, just an excuse for some to not buy beer when owed or to not honor the rigging tradition.

When we stop honoring our traditions we lose part of our history.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

31 repacks
5 saves

That’s a pretty high ratio. Maybe you should offer to pack their main also.:)
And I agree with Terry, “Inspection and repacks.”

Myself, a little over 500, 8 saves that I know of. My first and my last were me.

Sparky

1320 - Inspections and re-packs
47 - Saves

Chuck

Chuck

I say it's time to start a campaign to revitalise this inportant skydiving tradition.(quote)

If I'm not mistaken it is a time honored tradition dating back to the last part of WW1 when pilots started to wear bail out rigs but still didn't trust in using them, so if a pilot used it "it took balls to jump out" and the rigger was rewarded with a bottle of booze, during war a good bottle was like getting gold and was the ultimate thank you,"I live today to fight tomorrow".
The guy with the most bottles was the most trusted and the first guy to see after a mission for a good shot of booze.

I agree that this time honored tradition should still take place, it is part of rigging history.

I hear the most common reason in the last 10 yrs being "the 1000 jump rule" funny in some 35 plus years around this sport I don't recall a 1000 jump rule, just an excuse for some to not buy beer when owed or to not honor the rigging tradition.

When we stop honoring our traditions we lose part of our history.

~

I wholeheartedly agree with you. If, I may quote Bob dylan: "The Times, They Are A'changin'! " There are too many 'time honored' traditions that have fallen by the way. Seems like, it's a whole new 'game'.[:/]

Chuck

"the 1000 jump rule"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These days it is only the POPS who bring me bottles.
The contents of the bottle are less important than the "thank you."
Since I consumed my lifetime quota of alcohol before age 40, I usually ask for a bottle of de-alcoholized red wine.

But it annoys me to find out months later that I had a save.
I have lost track of saves because modern jumpers no longer report them.

Back in the old days, few skydivers had 1,000 jumps and they did not jump much anymore because of bad knees, bad ankles, bad backs, etc.

Historical note:
While dozens, maybe hundreds of World War One balloon crews saved their lives with parachutes, only a handful of German pilots saved their lives with parachutes during the last year of the war.
Only German pilots wore parachutes and only late in World War One.

The primary reason that Allied pilots did not wear parachutes was that there were no decent parachute designs available. German-designed static-line parachutes were rather crude and introduced too late to copy.
It was not until the McCook Field Group tested all the available designs in 1919, that Americans started to understand what worked and what did not.
They combined the best features of the available designs and several of them started their own factories (i.e Leslie Irvin).
American, Canadian, British, French, etc.) pilots did not start wearing parachutes on a regular basis until the 1920s.
The bottle tradition probably started during the Second World War.

That sucks.

I'm a PUP and relative newbie and I bought bottles for my reserve rides (yes, I said rides, plural, but that's a story for another thread). I always got a chuckle that one of my riggers likes Canadian Club Reserve.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well noted rob.

The bottle tradition probably started during the Second World War.(quote)

I was guessing, I do think it would go back earlier to at least the first few caterpillar awards or in that time frame? But I guess we will never know for sure?
Maybe one of those real old timers (sparky:P) would know.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Since I consumed my lifetime quota of alcohol before age 40, I usually ask for a bottle of de-alcoholized red wine.

I always thought that was an important part of the tradition too, that it was a bottle of the riggers choice.

And as far as I know, the tradition seems to be alive and well in the part of the country where I'm jumping... but hell, we still do 'traditional' SCR ceremonies down here too! :ph34r:

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

It's alive and well here in Australia too, though I don't know if it's enforced for tandem reserve rides.

Maybe where you are :( I did get a bottle of one of my clients at Christmas and another of someone else for my birthday but not one yet for a Save [:/]
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

"the 1000 jump rule"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The contents of the bottle are less important than the "thank you."

But it annoys me to find out months later that I had a save.
I have lost track of saves because modern jumpers no longer report them.

Back in the old days, few skydivers had 1,000 jumps and they did not jump much anymore because of bad knees, bad ankles, bad backs, etc.

I had been out, running errands one day. When I got back to the house, there was a 'big' box on my front porch. I checked the return address and it was one of the glider pilots I work for. I took the box to my shop and when I opened it, there was an opened parachute and container and a note with "THANKS, Chuck'. Also, there was a bottle of Crown. Seems as though, the pilot lost his tail rudder and had to use his emergency parachute. I put that bottle with the others, on a shelf. I put a label on the bottle, as I've done with the rest, with the owner's name and date of use of the parachute.

Chuck

I put that bottle with the others, on a shelf. I put a label on the bottle, as I've done with the rest, with the owner's name and date of use of the parachute.

Can I come hang out at your house?:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I put that bottle with the others, on a shelf. I put a label on the bottle, as I've done with the rest, with the owner's name and date of use of the parachute.

Can I come hang out at your house?:)
Sparky

Door's open!;)

Chuck

how many times was the reserve (that you packed) deployed in an emergency?

Since you don't get a bottle anymore nowadays and I'm a lousy bookkeeper anyway I'm not sure - never kept track...
I DO remember my most memorable one: couple of years ago at the beginning of the season I packed my own rig's reserve and then packed the main afterwards. As I was standing with the 'finished' main over my shoulder the phone rang, so I 'carefully' laid the canopy down, handled the phone call, had another chat with somebody and resumed the packjob where I left it...

:S:$:S:$ (Don't try this @ home - this is a trained professionals mistake!!!)

Two days later, after the first jump of the season, I look up and see my left steering lines half way in front of my canopy, distorting the three cells on the left.
Definetly Unlandable! Just as definetly caused by my own packing error...:S

I'll always remember that the moment I cut away I was thinking: "Shit - I hope I was paying more attention, when I put that reserve in..."

Apparently I did. :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Since you don't get a bottle anymore nowadays and I'm a lousy bookkeeper anyway I'm not sure - never kept track...
I DO remember my most memorable one: couple of years ago at the beginning of the season I packed my own rig's reserve and then packed the main afterwards. As I was standing with the 'finished' main over my shoulder the phone rang, so I 'carefully' laid the canopy down, handled the phone call, had another chat with somebody and resumed the packjob where I left it...

:S:$:S:$ (Don't try this @ home - this is a trained professionals mistake!!!)

Two days later, after the first jump of the season, I look up and see my left steering lines half way in front of my canopy, distorting the three cells on the left.
Definetly Unlandable! Just as definetly caused by my own packing error...:S

I'll always remember that the moment I cut away I was thinking: "Shit - I hope I was paying more attention, when I put that reserve in..."

Apparently I did. :)

Takes courage to admit that bro' More power to ya!!!

Mick.