MagicGuy

Raw Oysters

Who's had them before? I love the show Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. It has been inspiring me to venture outside my comfort zone when it comes to food. I have just started trying different types of seafood again lately, since I hated it as a kid.

I have had this really crazy craving to try raw oysters. I'm big on texture - and it seems that these probably have a pretty funky texture. So besides the obvious, how do they taste? Are they too extreme for a beginner seafood eater?

I really like them. Just make sure they are REALLY fresh or you won't have any fun with them;)

They are different from other seafood and I personally don't think they have the distinct taste of fish since you don't chew them. But you are a little late. The season ended in February.

Get a Triscut (sp), you know, the cracker. Put a piece of cheese, then the oyster, then a dab of mustard and a drop of Tabasco. YUM! :)

Or you can just fork the little critter and dip it in your sauce (lots of horseradish) Also YUM!

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Get a Triscut (sp), you know, the cracker. Put a piece of cheese, then the oyster, then a dab of mustard and a drop of Tabasco. YUM! :)

Or you can just fork the little critter and dip it in your sauce (lots of horseradish) Also YUM!

linz

MMM I'm hungry now.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I really like them. Just make sure they are REALLY fresh or you won't have any fun with them;)

*** they have the distinct taste of fish since you don't chew them.

Wha?? Who doesn't chew them? I do. April is still an "R" month.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Love em! But only if they are from the West Coast. The ones that I have had in Florida have not been that good. However the ones from the Northwest are awesome - smaller, crisp and good flavor. I like Pen coves and Kumomodo's the best.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

However the ones from the Northwest are awesome - smaller, crisp and good flavor.

You do know you are supposed to remove the shell first, right?:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Who's had them before?

Lots.

They can be tasty, especially some of the smaller Pacific varieties like Kumamatos. Some of the larger Atlantic species are grown because they mature fast and aren't nearly as good.

I have had this really crazy craving to try raw oysters. I'm big on texture - and it seems that these probably have a pretty funky texture. So besides the obvious, how do they taste?

Depends on the species. Buttery. Salty. With a slight metallic after taste. With notes of fruit. Like the sea, with a hint of iodine like sea urchin or Islay scotches. Mostly they taste like oyster.

Are they too extreme for a beginner seafood eater?

No. Advanced seafoods are things like monkfish liver (yum), sea urchin genitalia (yum), and jelly fish (not that good).

Raw scallops are more innocuous. The local tapas bar serves them up in a squid ink vinaigrette. Tasty! Looks pretty too, with pale white scallop in a sea of black ink.

I feel hungry now.

However the ones from the Northwest are awesome - smaller, crisp and good flavor.

You do know you are supposed to remove the shell first, right?:S

Is that what I have been doing wrong all this time? Darn it!!!:):):):):)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

Raw scallops are more innocuous. The local tapas bar serves them up in a squid ink vinaigrette. Yum! Looks pretty too, with pale white scallop in a sea of black ink.

No offense, Drew, but your description of participating in the Horgan hill climb cycling event was a hell of a lot more appealing than that.:S:S:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I am a fisherman, and raw oysters are amazing. The rule when it comes to eating raw oysters is to eat them in months ending in "R". This means September, October, November, or December. Now that oysters are farm raised they claim you can eat them year round, but anyone who is "in the know" will tell you to stick to months ending in "R". You can eat oysters in other months, but they do not have the same quality. They also have a better chance of being constipated, and believe me. A constipated oyster is not something you want to eat!!!!. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I can tell you what to look for when selecting a restaurant.
You only live once, but If you live like I did once is enough.

Love em.....Had almost 2 dozen Friday night! Like Spence said, stir some horseradish into your cocktail sauce (I like lots), drag your oyster thru that, put it on a saltine, and chew away! Also, squeeze fresh lemon all over the oysters prior...

You tried sushi?

I am a fisherman, and raw oysters are amazing. The rule when it comes to eating raw oysters is to eat them in months ending in "R". This means September, October, November, or December. Now that oysters are farm raised they claim you can eat them year round, but anyone who is "in the know" will tell you to stick to months ending in "R". You can eat oysters in other months, but they do not have the same quality. They also have a better chance of being constipated, and believe me. A constipated oyster is not something you want to eat!!!!. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I can tell you what to look for when selecting a restaurant.

That's the same rule my dad thought me about when to eat them but in German January and February end with R also. Is that not considered to be in season over here?

Personally, I like my oysters steamed.

If you are going to eat them raw, it is mostly mental.
Try not to mentally picture them as a 3 ounce ball of snot.

If you're going raw and don't like the taste/texture: One ounce of vodka, one tablespoon of cocktail sauce, and one raw oyster. That's the shooter for you.

We had about 4 bucketsfull of steamed oysters yesterday at my sister's place in Virginia Beach. Very good stuff. Just make a fire, throw a sheet metal plate on top of it, toss on the oysters and cover them with some water-soaked canvas while they steam. Keep watering down the cloth to keep them going (and to stop it from bursting into flame) until they pop. Total ingredients: a crap-load of oysters, one bowl of butter, one bowl of sauce, a box of crackers, oven mitts, oyster knives, beer, two sawhorses, a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood, and a trash box. Sweet lunch on a windy day.

Personally, I like my oysters steamed.

If you are going to eat them raw, it is mostly mental.
Try not to mentally picture them as a 3 ounce ball of snot.

If you're going raw and don't like the taste/texture: One ounce of vodka, one tablespoon of cocktail sauce, and one raw oyster. That's the shooter for you.

We had about 4 bucketsfull of steamed oysters yesterday at my sister's place in Virginia Beach. Very good stuff. Just make a fire, throw a sheet metal plate on top of it, toss on the oysters and cover them with some water-soaked canvas while they steam. Keep watering down the cloth to keep them going (and to stop it from bursting into flame) until they pop. Total ingredients: a crap-load of oysters, one bowl of butter, one bowl of sauce, a box of crackers, oven mitts, oyster knives, beer, two sawhorses, a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood, and a trash box. Sweet lunch on a windy day.

Personally, I'm a great believer in steaming them.

I mix horseradish into the cocktail sauce.

Buy a couple of bushels and hose all the mud off thoroughly. Then, toss them on a grill in the back yard.

As they come open, they are ready..
Don't leave them on the grill after they open or they will dry out quickly and ruin.

Out of the shell, into the sauce, and down the throat.

you cook/steam/fry/bake/etc an oyster. you ruin the oyster!

I agree! :)

Yep....I like them raw:o:o:o
DPH # 2