AKCrash

Gas Strike

Sorry, but luck has nothing to do with it...

Without getting all political, we choose to only have 1 car (a 1.8l Integra that gets 30mpg), a bike that gets 45mpg, and I choose to ride my bicycle to work 2-3 times a week (that's 60 to 90 miles on gas saved).

Notice a pattern?

*** And I thought Captain America was dead.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

We own no cars here -- I use a carsharing service (Vrtucar in Ottawa, similiar to Zipcar in some cities in the U.S.) ... The costs of gas and insurance are included.

But with the increased long distance roadtrips I sometimes want to make for skydiving, it sometimes get tempting to just buy a car. Maybe some hybrid or efficient compact such as a ForTwo.

Most people.. myself included do not want to be bothereed.
I have been thinking about this for YEARS..... but to be honest.. I just could not be bothered till now. I was going to set up my 1982 Mercedes 300D wiht a grease burner unit 8 years ago.. BUT.. it was just too much of a pain in the rump so I passed on it.

Most people dont have diesel vehicles.

Most people dont have the space to set up the equipment. ( not to mention it is an investment in time and money to buy or build the unit.. set the materials etc.)

Most people are too lazy to be bothered and will just pay whatever the local gas station wants.. and bitch on and on about the price..

really need to buy a diesel outboard for my sailboat too. I mean the Honda 2HP is great for getting it into the dock and away from the dock.. but I want to be as energy independent as I can be within a year.

I believe they call them oars.

You stick to your rowboat I will stick with my sloop...mmmkkk

there should only be ONE "O" in that girl:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yeah that'll work so everyone buys gas the day before and the day after. What we should do is stop buying from ExxonMobil corp once they lower their prices everone else will follow suit
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I have been thinking about this for YEARS..... but to be honest.. I just could not be bothered till now. I was going to set up my 1982 Mercedes 300D wiht a grease burner unit 8 years ago.. BUT.. it was just too much of a pain in the rump so I passed on it.

Most people dont have the space to set up the equipment. ( not to mention it is an investment in time and money to buy or build the unit.. set the materials etc.)

Most people are too lazy to be bothered and will just pay whatever the local gas station wants.. and bitch on and on about the price..

No Need the 300d will run on straight oil right out of the bottle. I own a 300d and run cooking oil in it all the time. Just invest in a good filter system and make sure its clean. Im pretty sure it wont work in the winter though. But for summer driving it works no problem. I used to buy straight cooking oil from Sams, but now its expensive as hell.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Yeah that'll work so everyone buys gas the day before and the day after. What we should do is stop buying from ExxonMobil corp once they lower their prices everone else will follow suit

Ummmm....once again. Nope.
[:/]
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Don't bother, it won't work.

If you really want to affect gas prices, stop using as much. Simple supply & demand. Buying it today vs. tomorrow won't change a thing.

Nah...I'm pretty sure we've been consuming less gas for a while now...it's not really as simple as supply and demand. It's how deep they can stick before we say uncle. We haven't said uncle, so they stick it deeper.

Jon

Absolutely correct! In the US, gas consumption is down more than 1% in the last 18 months.

Funny, I read something in the Newark Star Ledger last week stating that BECAUSE consumption is down, it's causing the price to rise! It's official: EVERY excuse has now been used to justify the ever rising cost of fuel!

BTW, I've noticed a marked reduction of traffic by my house, especially after dark.

Shit one time they said that they were increasing the cost of gas because the cost of crude went down
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

The Problem here in the NW.. is even in the warmest months it goes into the 50's or 40's at night. You have to have a purge system and a heated tank so that the veggie does not jell in the lines. Before you can shut off the engine.. you have to switch to bio-diesel... and purge the veggie from the lines. Now.. if I was in AZ... no problem.. but up here.. we make a big deal when we have 65 days of temps over 70 degrees for the high for the day.

Better to just make bio-diesel:ph34r:

The problem with the price for gas will not be resolved by people not buying gas on one specific day or another. The problem is there are not enough refineries here and what we have are not able to produce more due to storage. If you want the prices to become lower well it isn't going to happen over night or even in the next few years. The price will not drop only continue to increase as the months pass. We rely way too much on oil from over seas and they set the prices due to one reason or another. Fuel is in demand and when there is demand for a goods or products the price always jumps up.

It sucks ass that the price of gas has to cost so much but no matter how many so called strikes it will not make a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if we will be allotted a gas allowance shortly. So for now we just have to suck it up and pay the price if we want to drive our cars.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

No Need the 300d will run on straight oil right out of the bottle. I own a 300d and run cooking oil in it all the time. Just invest in a good filter system and make sure its clean. Im pretty sure it wont work in the winter though. But for summer driving it works no problem. I used to buy straight cooking oil from Sams, but now its expensive as hell.

In winter (depends where you live), it's best if you pre-Heat the fuel, say with a heated secondary fuel pump. Probably better to use less than 100% SVO too.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I guess that it does get cold (understatement?) over there, so even commercial diesel would get a bit 'waxy' in the winter.

But saying that, some people run engines on animal fat (Tallow) which needs to be heated before the primary pump as well.... um, so what do the Dr do with all of the Lyposuction extracts.. So obese people do have a future use

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

A few notes -

Biodiesel is not straight vegetable oil (SVO.) It is a fuel made by mixing sodium methoxide with vegetable oil, resulting in biodiesel and glycerin (used to make soap.)

Diesel engines can run on either. Biodiesel works pretty much like petroleum diesel, and will work OK in winter. (Some people thin it with a commercial anti-gelling compound in really cold areas.) SVO needs to be heated (or used only in very warm climates) to operate well in diesels. Most SVO conversions have a startup fuel system with regular diesel and a heated fuel tank/fuel line setup. Once the engine is warm, it switches to SVO.

Biodiesel will never replace all our liquid fuel usage. It will just replace a small amount. The idea is that a small amount of ethanol, biodiesel, biogas, hydrogen, short range electrics, long range PHEV's etc will all add up to a gradual reduction in petroleum usage. If we reduce our usage of oil as supplies dwindle, it will keep the price under control - and more importantly ensure oil is still available for the more important uses, like military fuel and plastics.

They have several formulations of the bio-diesel I buy. Summer gets one and winter gets a different blend. Its not that it gets really cold here.. its just overcast.. foggy... drizzle for many months of the year. NOW if you go to the other side of the Cascades it gets pretty dry.. and COLD in the winter.. and HOT in the summer. They have formulations for that as well. Fuels are an interesting concoction and one formula just does not work well for all the variations of climate.

Don't bother, it won't work.

If you really want to affect gas prices, stop using as much. Simple supply & demand. Buying it today vs. tomorrow won't change a thing.

Nah...I'm pretty sure we've been consuming less gas for a while now...it's not really as simple as supply and demand. It's how deep they can stick before we say uncle. We haven't said uncle, so they stick it deeper.

Jon

Its not simple by any means, but it still follows the rules of supply and demand. You are absolutely correct about them (OPEC to be precise) raping us harder and harder, and jacking the prices up higher and higher. They do so not by setting the price, but my limiting production (supply), which in turn controls the price.

So, yes it is supply and demand, along with everyone who uses it bending over and grabbing their ankles while all the oil bastards get rich >:(