madhatter

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't...

- People who just want to use a computer, and not fuss with it, get a Mac.

- People who enjoy fussing with their computer, run Linux.

- People who just don't know any better, run Windows.

(An over simplification I know, because the computer I am running right now is none of the above.)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The OP was tongue in cheek, but I'm really looking at new options. What's better, windows + hassles, linux + hassles or mac + bigger outlay?

For me, "mac + bigger outlay".
Case in point. I've only had the machine for a few months and it is indeed weird to try to get around at first. But the software is more powerful, it's more intuitive and easily delivers a better product if you're into pics/video etc. But the real seller for me was when I had a hardware problem. It was SATA related so platform had nothing to do with it.
I took it to the apple store, they replaced the HD (free, under warranty) and told me that they could recover the data on the HD and I'll get it back in a couple of days. I told them that I was two days out of a time machine backup and would like to take it home now. Now here's the neat part, I'll try not to skip anything.
Got home, started the machine. After choosing my language and keyboard it asked me if I wanted to transfer files from another drive or computer. I said yes, plugged in the external drive, chose the "time machine" transfer, poured a glass of wine and went to watch TV for a half hour.
My computer, ALL settings, absolutely everything was the same as it was before the problem.
No software installation discs, no hunting for hardware drivers, no multiple blue screens and reboots. None of that crap. I was flat out amazed at how easy it was.
Leopard rocks.

(An over simplification I know, because the computer I am running right now is none of the above.)

And what, pray tell are you running? Solaris? iSeries?

My workstation is SPARC/Solaris, due to that being what is used at work, and having a full vanilla installation of the OS makes it handy for troubleshooting server problems by comparing their configs with my own and running experiments.

I also have two Intel boxes with 6-7 drives that can boot Solaris x86 / { Dragonfly,Open,Free,Net}BSD / Linux.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The ease of use almosts sounds to good to be true. Guess I'll have to give Mac some consideration..

I don't want to give the impression that it's magic but Apple does have a faster, more stable system in general. In my short experience with Mac, so far I've not found myself yelling at the machine.
I should have seen it coming a long time ago;

Abort/Retry/Fail
Abort/Retry/Fail
Abort/Retry/Fail
Abort/Retry/Fail
Abort/Retry/Fail
Abort/Retry/Fail
Abort/Retry/Fail

While I agree with the statement...

Same thing is happening with Quicktime now. You can't install Quicktime anymore unless you download bullshit iTunes. This section was supposed to be longer, but I couldn't even install iTunes so I could bitch about it.

I can tell you that I'm tired of having to reboot Vista SP1 about three times a day. It's almost like the old kernel32.dll mem leak of XP v.1, I know that I could revert back to XP SP3, but let's face it;. at some point M$ is not going to sell or support XP anymore.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

at some point M$ is not going to sell or support XP anymore.

Official statement from M$ says support for XP will not end until 2012.
And by then you'll probably have been able to find another OS that you are more pleased with..:)
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Was that before or after the International Standards committee rattled their cage? Last I heard, support would drop in 2010.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have never had to reboot my vista machine. Even before sp1. No problems at all.

Make sure that you turn it on at least once before your warranty expires.

(can't reboot until you boot)

:P
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

As someone who has built and used Windows/DOS based PC's for over 20 years, I can say without a doubt……the Mac is a far superior computer in almost every measurable aspect.

When I decided to start a video production business, I wanted a Mac. The file management system alone is reason enough to buy one. When I began video editing, I knew I would have many files to deal with and the Mac organizes and manages these files efficiently, consistently and flawlessly.

When I try to save a simple e-mail attachment on a Windows machine, it takes me nearly 10 minutes to figure out what hidden subfolder/directory it has been saved to.

The term “everything just works on a Mac” is quite valid and true considering how complex the Final Cut Studio applications are. These applications integrate flawlessly using drag & drop. The OS never crashes and is more intuitive, allowing multiple ways to do the same task.

As far as looks, the I-mac is one of the most gorgeous computers around. It makes any PC look like a bucket.

you are one of the lucky ones. My folks have had good luck with theirs too, but the only thing they use it for is email and web browsing. You can do that on your TV these days.

I bought the missus a Gateway with Vista for Xmas. 5 weeks and dozens of hours later, I sent it back. It would crash 5-8 times each day. reboot for no reason. get bluescreens running simple applications. Gateway would not support it since I could not 'prove' to them that all software running on it was Vista compatible. Microsoft would not support it until I called Gateway first of course.

The vendor was only going to replace it, but since they had no more of that model, they finally refunded it, but it cost me $80 to ship it back to them.

Have not convinced my missus to go to Mac yet, but I switched Feb 17, 2007, Imac and now a Macbook to go with it. I have never been happier. I actually USE my computer instead of fucking with it. And I seldom worry about whether or not I will have some stupid problem while I am using it.

At the dropzone (Skydive CIty) we run a small Windows 2003 Server, several XP machines. XP is good, but every machine has something fucking wrong with it - none of them work the way they should. All have quirks and bullshit issues that are just too much trouble to try and fix - so we have workarounds for every little bullshit problem we have.

I wish JumpRun ran on a Mac, I would buy it in a second.....