wildblue

Home Security Systems

Friend of mine wants a simple home security system for cheap-ish. I haven't touched one in 12 years, so I figured I'd "Ask Dizzy". Anyone have any recent experience? Nothing fancy - easy to install (wireless?) Your standard 3 doors, keypad, key fob, and maybe a motion detector - just something that makes a lot of noise if someone breaks in. Some kind of web interface/monitoring with email/SMS capabilities would be perfect. Might add a camera in later.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I just bought this one.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezstore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=630&bViaAC=False

The basic set comes with two doors, but you can buy additional sensors. It's modular and you can add all kinds of bells and whistles and additional devices, or keep it pretty simple. It's super-easy to install, and if you buy it from this place, they even pre-configure it for you. You can then choose whatever monitoring company you want (or not). Right now, I don't have mine monitored, but I live in close enough proximity to my neighbors and know my neighbors well enough that they'd be on the phone to the police faster than a monitoring company. :D

I've been really happy with it. I have two very active cats and I can vouch for the pet-proof motion detector (at least with cats).

(Edit to change links, I grabbed the wrong one).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action
:P

Neither of which do you any good when you're not home. Haven't you seen "It Takes a Thief" ... or whatever that show is called? :D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

Neither of which do you any good when you're not home. Haven't you seen "It Takes a Thief" ... or whatever that show is called? :D

Simple, just booby-trap the door with the shotgun. Burglar breaks in door, BLAMMO. Dead burglar fucktard.

Yeah, I know there are laws against that... [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

An outstanding show. Watched one yesterday where the thief realized he was burglarizing a cop when he found his uniforms in the closet. Of course he took em as well as the guy's badge. He also took the safe which, while he didn't know it, contained the issued glock w/ammunition. The cop shit his pants. :D
www.FourWheelerHB.com

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

An outstanding show. Watched one yesterday where the thief realized he was burglarizing a cop when he found his uniforms in the closet. Of course he took em as well as the guy's badge. He also took the safe which, while he didn't know it, contained the issued glock w/ammunition. The cop shit his pants. :D

Damn!!! I wish I'd seen that! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

Yes, but you posted the question in Bonfire... these discussions end up getting sent to Speakers' Corner anyway because people can't just answer the question. :P

Oh, the other thing I have (that I had before I bought the full system) is glass break alarms on my ground floor windows. It was one of those getting tripped by someone trying to break the window on my front door (while I was home) that prompted me to get a full system that would actually track attempted break-ins. But if you've got ground floor glass that doesn't move (i.e., it's not on a door or on a window that opens), glass break sensors are also something to think about. These don't do much other than make a ridonkulously loud noise (no monitoring or tracking), but they scared the asshole away so I could call the cops. :D

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezstore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=837&bViaAC=False

My neighbors and I have also installed motion detector lights on the sides of our units (I live in a 4-plex townhouse setup). And of course, my best safety and security feature is knowing my neighbors well so that we all have good general awareness of what's going on around the area and who belongs and who doesn't.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

then people need to train their dogs better....[:/]

and to add....how authentic is that show if they first warn everyone around of their activities so as to not get busted doing the b&e?????
they warn the police and the neigbors .... :S

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

Simple, just booby-trap the door with the shotgun. Burglar breaks in door, BLAMMO. Dead burglar fucktard.

Can't do it...something about "hunting a baited field" or somesuch... ;)

Actually, it *IS* illegal to do something like that, so far as I know.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

Can't do it...something about "hunting a baited field" or somesuch... ;)

Actually, it *IS* illegal to do something like that, so far as I know.

How about a rigged paint gun then? Not the paint ball guns though, those hurt like a motherfucker at close range. If you can spray them in the face with paint that won't come off easily (think dye packs that banks use for robbers)... the cops can look for them later.

I like that idea... pepper/CS paintball.... :)

Yeah, and if you can rig them just outside your door out of sight, so when they rattle the door knob to see if it's locked or not, PSH PSH PSH, then you've saved yourself a mess on the inside and your door intact. ;)

Oh yeah and a loud alarm too to make them run.

In at least 1 they didn't warn the cops and ended up having the thief arrested before he could leave the house. I laughed my ass off when I saw that one.

Anyone have any luck in getting a DIY system to hook up to a monitoring company?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The house we got had a diy system in it, and they had it hooked up.

It works well enough! They forgot to turn offf the monitoring, and 6 months later we had a false alarm and the cops showed up at our doord steps... 30 minutes later, but still...
Remster

Do NOT get a system where the siren, brain, and keypad are integrated.

If you get one that is integrated with brain and keypad, or brain, siren, and keypad, all someone has to do is pull it off the wall, and no more alarm. If you put it somewhere non-obvious, they can follow the siren to the brain and disable it.

My system has a keypad by the door, a siren up in the closet, and the brains are hidden away in somewhere very non-obvious, with a cellular back-up device in case the phone line fails.

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

thats right!

I've got a big dog with a mean bark and a .45ACP by the bed with a shotgun nearby as well.:P

So what do you keep in the "toy drawer" then?:P:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

only 2 things needed:
1) dog
2) 12ga, pump action

thats right!

I've got a big dog with a mean bark and a .45ACP by the bed with a shotgun nearby as well.:P

So what do you keep in the "toy drawer" then?:P:)

"The Club"? :):):)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've got a honeywell system. Three keypads. Six zones, including windows and the swimming pool gate. It also has a motion detector (I disconnected it) and a chime that can be turned on for when any door or window opens. So let's say my little girl goes to the back yard? "CHIME - BACK PATIO DOOR."

It can come in dern handy, at times.

My wife is hotter than your wife.