banesanura

No desire to go skydiving.

Being that your a new jumper, your in that phase that Im sure most of us went thru, Lord knows I did. The phase that you want to tell the whole world about this magical new thing you discovered that is so much more than a sport. In fact, even after being in the sport 5 years, I will still tell anyone who will listen about how great it is. But in the reality, it is just another extreme sport, just to most of us who do it, it is a lifestyle. Be content that your mom doesnt want too. Mine doesnt either. I whole heartedly agree that it is something I think should be tried before kicking the bucket, but again in reality it isnt for everyone. And I agree with the others who said that it is much more dangerous than driving a car. Skydiving is an amazing thing, I hope to be jumping well into my senior age (with all of my kids who also want to jump). But in reality, in skydiving, you can do everything right and still die. I still have low jump numbers b/c I am a single mom, I can only make it to the DZ about once a month. Skydiving is only everything (well 2nd to evrything for me) for a select few of us....

Just curious, are your jump numbers correct (77)?

Yes why? I have low numbers but have been around for 5 years... I put some things (like my kids and my job etc before skydiving) so I have low numbers... but been around for the "NEW" to wear off...

. What are we trying to prove?:S

Someone I know, with close to 1000 jumps said this; " It's one of the most beautiful things a human being can do."
I had to let it sink in, but I had to agree.

It's those that don't see that there is something more to just falling through the sky for a rush that aren't right for the sport, or "have no desire". And there is nothing wrong with that.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Oh and forget about that whole Driving is more dangerous than Skydiving Crap. That is a load of bullshit.

You need to quantify.

Among tandems, which the mother is presumably theoretically going to take, a ONE-TIME tandem jump is safer than one full year of driving in an average car at typical North America driving distances. Most skydivers don't dispute that.

There's no doubt that 300 jumps a year with swooping is definitely more dangerous than driving. Most skydivers don't dispute that either.

I respect both camps. I do agree with you, on average, for licensed skydiver, skydiving is more dangerous however.

Some people modify their line to say that skydiving is safer than motorcycling -- many motorcyclists who are in big motorcycle clubs (i.e. 100+ motorcyclists) also know people, at least one indirectly, who have died motorcycling. Although there's overlap in safety based on risk and type of either activity, it's harder to disagree than with cars.

Mom: Because who is going to take care of the babies?

(I have twin siblings that are about 3 years old)

Avoiding unnecessary risk with young children to raise is pretty smart in my book. There is nothing wrong with putting your kids well being before your own pleasure.

What are we trying to prove?:S

That's the funny bit: those that are trying to prove something to themselves might continue, those who merely set out to show how tough they are usually don't come back after the first jump or don't even show up for the FJC.

Me, I care nothing what people think - I'm just out to have fun jumping. ;)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Damn!

You got me thinking now.

"To be honest- I am still a student but I started questioning my sanity and why I do it.

I get scared shitless at the door but in free fall it goes away-I can't explain why I like doing it. Me and my car (and wallet) always end up at the dz on the weekend. "

I did that for a bit, then it wasnt fun.. and for some reason i have a renewed interest in it. Your statement about once in freefall the fear goes away.. Rightly so.. why be scared after you exit? you are committed.. there is no turning back.. no point being scared then
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

And- btw. thats kinda gross haha:D:o:S:o:ph34r::D

That all depends on how Milf-y your Mom is.

Turtle- the REAL question is- How DILF-ey are you and other men in skydiving? Perhaps we should hold annual Dilf awards.

Dilfs are awesome.

Although I am Dilfy like a Mutha fuckah, It may not always be about looks - but about performance.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Okay, I'll play the devil's advocate here. I work for two FDs, and I see things differently.

hehehe,

More than 6.1 million police-reported motor vehicle crashes occurred in the United States in 2005. Almost one-third of these crashes resulted in an injury, with less than 1 percent of total crashes (39,189) resulting in a death. (This doesn't count motorcycle, pedestrians, or other forms of transportation accidents).

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

The National Census, www.census.gov, stated the US population is 304,185,867. Now, at the benefit of the Nay-sayers, we'll assume everyone drives a car. This would put your risk of dying at a 1 in 7,762.

In 2007, USPA estimated the US had 2.5 million jumps to only 20 deaths, which is 1 in 125,000 jumps.

Seeing this, that would mean you are 16x more likely to die in a car accident then you would be die from skydiving.

This would lead one to believe that something isn't right. The 2005 numbers for skydiving did change (and these are at the benefit of the Nay-sayers) that there were a low 2 million jumps in 2005 with 30 deaths in the US, which would put the death rate at 1 in 66,667 jumps, still margins above the national automobile fatality rate.

Things to consider is...
...When we skydive, and probably the most important influencing factor, we are paying the utmost attention to what we are doing. Our lives are in danger if we don't so you bet your ass we will do everything to prevent that. Its the sport of Skydiving's MAIN objective above everything else to prevent people from dying. Driving on the other hand, how many times have we caught ourselves talking on a cell phone, eating, changing the radio, totally distracted or even dazed out driving home or to work? Before we know it we're at work wondering how we got there as if we were on auto pilot. We take driving for granted, we don't with Skydiving.

...You very very rarely will find a drunk skydiver jumping. If you do tell me so I can avoid that DZ. But how often are drunk drivers on the road? More often than we realize. You are taking a large portion of the influence out of the fatalities of driving when you are skydiving.

When we jump we usually only fall a couple of miles. When we drive we drive many more. We are around others when we jump is probably more dangerous while skydiving then driving because we are traveling at 120+mph. But even with this one could say, by the numbers, skydiving is, in fact, safer than driving a vehicle.

On the main subject of the thread though, you can't force people to do what you want. You can suggest, but if they don't want to they really won't do it. Take it from me, I've tried. When I got into Scubadiving and Cavern diving, people simply didn't want to do it. All the better I say.
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.

Your stats don't make sense, you aren't comparing like quantities.

For your comparison to be valid, you'd have to compare # of deaths per minute of driving and per minute of skydiving (from exit to landing) for it to make any sense. How many minutes does the average driver spend behind the wheel? How many minutes does the average jumper spend on an actual skydive (from exit to landing)? Then take the fatalities into persepective with this... guaranteed it will change, and skydiving is the far riskier sport.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

And- btw. thats kinda gross haha:D:o:S:o:ph34r::D

That all depends on how Milf-y your Mom is.

Turtle- the REAL question is- How DILF-ey are you and other men in skydiving? Perhaps we should hold annual Dilf awards.

Dilfs are awesome.

Dilf-ey? hmmm.... guess that leaves me out since ya gotta be a dad.. :S
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I am sure you could start being one.....

hehehehehheh

:D:D

hahahahahahha

I am up for adoption hahhahahahhaahah!:):D:D

but I don't ever want to be a concubine!

Been there, done that... at least for 16 years as a step-dad... don't wanna do that shit again, heard "you can't tell me what to do, you're not my dad" waaaaaaaaay too many times...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Your stats don't make sense, you aren't comparing like quantities.

For your comparison to be valid, you'd have to compare # of deaths per minute of driving and per minute of skydiving (from exit to landing) for it to make any sense. How many minutes does the average driver spend behind the wheel? How many minutes does the average jumper spend on an actual skydive (from exit to landing)? Then take the fatalities into persepective with this... guaranteed it will change, and skydiving is the far riskier sport.

This is statistics. I compared # of deaths. Its inequatable to compare minutes to minutes for each. The same could be said about # of minutes being struck by lightning; although being struck by lightning is very improbable the number of minutes is incomprehensible. It'd be apples to oranges. For this we will stick to deaths :)
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.

As individuals, what attracts one person to a sport, will not attract another person to the sport.
When I look back on the fat that I skydive, I can't feel but laugh. As I have (and still do have) a fear of flying. Yet, it wa the freedom I felt while in the air was only comparison to scuba diving.
Thoough, my gf who has one tandem, doesn't understand the attraction I have with skydivng. And yet, we agrue as she personally feels that I should quit jumping and start triathlon training with her. (Too which I really don't understand).
So each person has there own "no desire" list. It is perfectly normal to have!

You compared deaths/skydiver to deaths/driver. Those are two entirely different ratios. Comparing deaths/minute of activity to deaths/minute of activity are at least utilizing comparable units. That is why your 'stats' don't have much validity to them.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Well i can tell you my mom is 63 and thinks my skydiving is cool. She wants to but her doctor says she cant because of her pace maker. I know others with pace makers have jumped but she is going to come out to our boogie and sit in as an observer so she can watch us exit the plane. Maybe your mok can do that.
I am new at this sport and dont talk much about it outside the DZ or with other skydivers. It seems i have to defend it more than explain it.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

When I got into Scubadiving .

I tried scuba diving on a Jamacian vacation. Didn't like it one bit. Honestly. in the pool in three feet of water, I felt like somebody was standing on my chest while I was trying to breath. I told the instructor that I wasn't interested in being 20-30' down and freaking out. He tried to talk me into continuing the course and I said "NO." It just wasn't for me. I think it's the same with skydiving. I have lot's of friends that scuba that won't even consider a tandem. They think I'm nut's and I think they're f**king nuts. Different strokes!!!
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

I can see his argument about disagreeing with the comparison. You compared the total number of skydives with the number of drivers, If you had compared the number of skydivers to the number or drivers OR the total number of skydives to the total number of car trips it would be more comparable. Then you factor in the fatality ratios and woala! You've got yourself a more solid argument.

Either way, good job on posting the info. It shows effort on your part to make a valid comparison.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251