WatchYourStep

Anyone fly United recently??

I have a flight tomorrow from Kansas City to Dulles through United.

There carry on policy hasn't changed. They say you are allowed one personal bag (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc) and one carry on bag. My rig is going to be my carry on bag. Does anyone think I'll have a problem carrying my bookbag on as my personal item? It has my laptop in it and fits under the seat easily.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

PS: Yes I called the airline but I was on hold for about twenty minutes so I had to hang up to make a load. ;)

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Can you put your laptop into the suitcase with your rig ? That should be the simplest solution. The rest depends on whether the Homeland Security guys got laid last night or not. Pray that they did.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Well my backpack is a photographers backpack. My laptop and cameras all fit inside it and I couldn't get all that and the rig into one bag that I could carry on and I don't want to check it due to the value.

Thanks

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

United would not allow me to either carry on or put my rig into baggage a couple months ago. I had to have my rig picked up by a friend and taken home. I will never fly United again unless absolutely forced.

Better send it through baggage...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

The rest depends on whether the Homeland Security guys got laid last night or not. Pray that they did.

Surely you jest! If that's what he's counting on he's screwed.

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a Cypress take that little card that came with it. Don't try to explain that it has a "cutter" or "small explosive charge" or you will be arrested. If they question you about it simply say it is a saftey device to automatically deploy the reserve. Always worked for me. Good luck.

I flew United back from Skyfest in early June (Seattle-Chicago-Charlotte, and Charlotte-Denver-Seattle). No problems at all carrying my rig on in a rolling suitcase, and my laptop in a separate bag (canvas shoulder bag, IIRC, that also had some magazines and books in it, probably).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

i recently flew united and four of four flights were delayed. two mechanical problems, one late crew member, and one weather delay. united sucks balls and i will not fly with them again. fortunately i took everything carry-on. i had a small rolling suitcase that can fit rig, helmet, jumpsuit, and altimeter, and i also had a backpack that was big enough for a laptop.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a Cypress take that little card that came with it. Don't try to explain that it has a "cutter" or "small explosive charge" or you will be arrested.

Hahaha! NO, you won't be arrested...they simply won't let you take your hook knife. Make sure you pack that in your checked luggage or leave it at home.
There's no regulation that says you can't take your rig on board. TSA agents like to flex be assholes sometimes but you should be fine.
"Don't let the bon-bons give you a fat ass. Merry X-mas!" - Skydemon2