SuFantasma

Olympics & World Records - I want some Chinese Water

Am I the only one wondering what the hell did the Chinese government put in the water? Just about every final race is yielding world records !

Now, I need to put this in perspective. A world record means that only one time, and only one time , a person or team has been able to cross that distance in the least amount of time possible. So I am watching the 4x100 men's relay and five teams beat the existing world record on the same heat. FIVE TEAMS! That means that two teams who outpaced the existing world record did not get any medals ! (Sorry, you were REALLY good, but not GOOD ENOUGH).....

Time for a medals ceremony revision... anyone who beats the existing world record gets a gold medal. The individual or team who creates the new world record gets Platinum (ok, maybe an American Express Platinum Card) ... whatever ...

I have this conspiracy theory that the Chinese government doped the pool water so everyone who won will test positive for doping agents and the whole event will be entangled in legal limbo, depriving the athletes from medals (only those who experienced long-term exposure due to immersion , as opposed to diving with short term immersion .... Anyone has a better explanation?

Any thoughts?
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

supposedly the new speedo suits this year are a huge technological leap forward in swimming for drag reduction.

By Drag Reduction, are you implying we have less homosexual swimmers?
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

supposedly the new speedo suits this year are a huge technological leap forward in swimming for drag reduction.

By Drag Reduction, are you implying we have less homosexual swimmers?
Just because they're in drag does not mean they are actually Gay:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You know I was watching yesterday and wonder if the suits and uniforms the Chinese teams are wearing in all the different sports were cheap Chinese knock offs of Nike, Addidas and Speedo!

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The pool has alot to do with it.

It is 3 feet deeper then the standard olympic pool, and much wider.

Indeed! Deep water = smooth water. Smooth water = fast water.. The pool in Athens was shallow. In a shallow pool, there is greater wave activity. The chop makes it difficult to gain speed.

There's also the issue of the new suits.

Add to that little things like water temperature - around 78. It's indoors, so no wind or solar issues - and humidity is controlled.

The officials designed a fast pool in a fast complex.

Then, the conditioning of the athletes is astounding and getting better and better.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I won't go that far. In every sport, technology, training, etc., has evaolved to get more out of people. World class athletes nowadays spend as much time in video session as physically training. They'll check out their form and mechanics with coaches, and work toward maximizing it.

Look at cycling. They've got devices that measure a cyclist's pressure on the pedals throughout the motion to give feedback to improve efficiency. Add to that technology with bicycles - and even the uniforms. The tires and spokes - all in an effort to reduce drag.

I think about the only thing I can think of where the probable limits of human capability has been reached is pitching a baseball. Bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons simply cannot withstand any more force. And that's why pitching coaches are so important - to help maintain mechanics not just for effectiveness but for injury prevention.

My wife is hotter than your wife.