woodpecker

motorcycle riders

I've been riding since 1978 and have never felt the need to blind drivers that I'm following or those coming towards me.
I driver with my Head Light on all the time but NOT on High beam

You do understand that he's talking about riding during the daytime, right? The high beam won't blind anyone in daytime conditions.

Another factor is riding in So Cal. I spent year in LA with a bike being my only transportation. Day or night, rain or shine I rode if I needed to get somewhere, and ten years later, I'm still amazed that I made it out alive. I've ridden in cities all across the US, and LA is far and above the craziest place to spend time in the saddle.

i ride with my high beam on the daytime for that reason.

Riding with HIGH Main mean on is considered rude where I ride. Dipped main beam should be sufficient.

Riding with your high beams on is a poor replacement for defensive riding, a hazard to other motorists, and as Shrop stated, just plain rude!

If that's what it takes for a rider to feel 'safe' when sharing the road with others, I sure hope I'm not out there with you. [:/]

Blinding everyone opposing you on the roadway in the name of 'your' safety comes across as quite selfish.

Good luck out there.

BASE359

Its how i was taught to ride, and have always done so. (IMO) but i use every bit of help i can take. i turn it down to low beams at night, but i make an effort to make sure that the vehicle approaching sees me do that, just to make them aware.

It's not as bad as it used to be thanks to the gas prices. More bikes on the road now means more people are accustomed to looking out for 'em. Then again I may just be used to what it's like out here. When I strap on my gear my head is 100% focused on keeping my ass alive and in one piece.

I absolutely love the challenge. B|

www.FourWheelerHB.com

But load pipes aren't dangerous to other road users, Blinding them is.

Excessive loud pipes are annoying and dangerous to other road users. They can startle or distract others. They can increase fatigue and hearing loss for you. They're also detrimental to the 'image' of motorcyclists. And for zero added safety.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I'm asking because my temp. guage reades 214 F when riding here in CA and wanting to make sure thats not high until I can call the shop tomorrow.

If your doing 70 down the highway and it's 214 thats to high. I have a Yamaha R1 and while rollin it's around 160-170F. If I am in city traffic doing a bunch of lights it will jump to 220F and I feel and hear the fan kick on. Check your fluid level. It might have gone down from when the mechanics prepped it for sale and it might be a little low.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

That's a personal choice we all make. I could give a shit about being polite because politeness will not save my ass. Polite to me is getting the fuck off the phone and paying attention to the road ahead, behind, and to the sides and if I have to blind people to get them to do that....so be it. :)

I suppose you're against loud pipes too because it might annoy someone.

I agree with Shrop. The high beam thing may be different between the UK and California as here in the dull grey a high beam will tend to blind people even during the day.

Saying being polite doesn't matter is fine until you realise that there are dipsticks out there who when angry will deliberately try and cause you harm (e.g swerving at you because you are annoying them). For example - I ride to work and when traffic is backed up I ride the centre line. Last week someone got annoyed with me and deliberately drove down the centre line straight at me causing me to have to dive on the brakes and squeeze into the traffic - technically they were in the right (I was on their side of the road) but they had 10 foot of road to the left of them!

Anyway does the high beam make any difference to the low beam during the day? Also remember that having the lights on reduces the ability of other drivers to accurately judge their distance to you although I keep them on personally.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Well it must be a cultural/weather thing because I've been doing it for almost 6 years without a problem. Plus this is sunny southern California so it doesn't get dark here during the day even when it's overcast.

As far as someone running me off the road or deliberately trying to hit me....I don't know what they put in your water but you guys must be violent. Over here people tend to be pretty cordial behind the wheel. I'm guessing it's an unintended result of all of our freeway shootings. :D

But like I said earlier....you make your choices and I'll make mine.

www.FourWheelerHB.com

My bike is Japanese....not Jap :|

It's a permanent legal resident of the United States--it's American.

I never understood why they aren't called "enginecycles." A motor creates motion using power supplied by an outside source. An engine creates power from fuel.

Either way, I've always wanted a "motorcycle" (sic :P) and when the weather in Florida cools, I'm going to take a training course and at least get my license so I'll be ready if I ever come across a bike I can buy.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

But load pipes aren't dangerous to other road users, Blinding them is.

Excessive loud pipes are annoying and dangerous to other road users. They can startle or distract others. They can increase fatigue and hearing loss for you. They're also detrimental to the 'image' of motorcyclists. And for zero added safety.

I agree. Around here, there are outside (sidewalk) eating establishments, and of course all the folks who need the look-at-me ego stroking come riding along with their insanely loud motorcycles, and it makes being there an odious thing. The whole "loud pipes save lives" thing is a bullshit rationale. A very weak cover story for simply wanting to be noticed, not from a safety standpoint but from an attention one.
Imaginations on fire

You do understand that he's talking about riding during the daytime, right? The high beam won't blind anyone in daytime conditions.

"Blind" is too strong a word, but yes, I have definitely had my vision streaked and had to squint/block from seeing high-beams in the daytime. You still are getting the same amount of light shone at you, you know. Sure, your pupils will be a little more constricted than at night, but if you catch high beams straight on in the day, it can be quite an irritant. I say this because I've experienced it.
Imaginations on fire

if you catch high beams straight on in the day, it can be quite an irritant. I say this because I've experienced it.

\

If a driver turns left across your path and forces you to jump a curb and ride across a treelawn, it can be quite an irritant. I say this because I've experienced it.

Take your pick.

Cagers have a ton of metal to protect them from stupidity. Bikers only have a little head light.

Wear some shades bro.B|

So you really believe that the "little head light" is what makes the difference between living and dying, in terms of protection from stupidity?

I tell you what, the vast majority of the serious and/or fatal accidents I read about down here are caused by either idiot riders doing stupid risky things and demonstrating irresponsible or incompetent riding habits; or DRUNKS hitting them--and a headlight is not going to save you from a drunk.
Imaginations on fire

if you catch high beams straight on in the day, it can be quite an irritant. I say this because I've experienced it.

\

If a driver turns left across your path and forces you to jump a curb and ride across a treelawn, it can be quite an irritant. I say this because I've experienced it.

Take your pick.

This has happened only to those riders who failed to ride with the high-beam constantly on?? The high-beam protects against piss-poor judgment of other drivers, or shitty reaction time, or elderly tunnel vision, or drunk obliviousness?

I'm pretty sure I've heard of plenty of cars getting hit in the same manner and circumstances. Funny, the argument for the loud pipes and high-beam is usually that motorcycles are harder to see and so people jump out in front of them. Why then do plenty of cars get hit just like you describe?
Imaginations on fire

Thankfully it's legal to carry here.
"Returned fire in defense of my life, occifer"
:P

Cops around here are shooting at vehicles that are being driven in their direction all the time and being upheld for their decisions.

Fire at will! (or in the case of southern Florida, "Fire at Jorge de Jesus Melendez de la Hoya Villegas." :S)
Imaginations on fire