BillyVance

Hurricane Ike

Can't hurt to have a generator on hand when you really need it. Just a thought...

If you've got the money for that kind of a luxury, absolutely.

One of the "funny" TV images was a long line of people on foot with red gas cans at a gas station, trying to get more fuel for their generators. They thought to buy the expensive generator, but didn't think to keep enough gas on hand to feed it for more than 24 hours.

Another trivia item: Squirrels abandoned their trees because they were waving around so violently. Some were spotted cowering underneath the eaves of roof lines atop houses. The local animal shelter has 200 baby squirrels that people have brought in that were blown out of their nests in trees.

My area is over run with people from Houston and Madisonville and the like that are out of power still. The shelters are full, which was expected, but everyone from H-town is up here buying all the gas, groceries and ice we have in our stores.

I'm actually pretty excited about it, since its a huge boost in our local economy.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Made a trip up to the Texas City and Alvin areas today to deliver a generator and supplies to a co-worker and was amazed at the selectivity of the damage in that area. I've cleaned up after quite number of both hurricanes and tornadoes and most of the damage I saw reminds me much more of tornado damage. I didn't hear reports of lots of tornadoes for this one though.

I went past two areas where there wasn't a house with a whole roof left on it and trees down everywhere but a mile down the road they seemed to scrape by with nothing but some branches on the ground (houses of same quality construction).

I did see the most interesting thing I've ever seen after a storm. A fully intact large trampoline with the net cage like thing and all, hanging in a tree 50 to 60 feet up in the air behind a house.

I'm kicking myself for not having taken a picture now.
Killing threads since 2004.

Can't hurt to have a generator on hand when you really need it. Just a thought...

Family property in Fl. has a huge generator and a big freakin propane tank to keep it running. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Does anybody posting know anything about the Webster/Clear Lake area? I work in the meteorology department of a private sector company in Houston and they evacuated a crew of us up to Dallas to take over ops if our headquarters got stomped on and they couldn't take care of our 24/7 ops worldwide. I'm still in Dallas, could be until the weekend at least since our building in Houston is still without power.

I'm glad to hear all the DZ's made it through OK and that everybody is alright. Since I'm up in Dallas, I haven't been able to get a report on the Webster/Clear Lake area and figured I would ask you guys. I really hope my house is OK....[:/]

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I live in Clear Lake, about 4 miles north of Webster (depending on which part of Webster -- it's a patchwork city mixed in with parts of Houston and parts of county).

We're generally fine; we just got power back last night, and while there was wind damage, by and large the only places that flooded always flood. And even the wind damage was within reason for sustained 90-100 mph winds. Fences, roof damage, etc. But I've seen no demolished homes around here.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

These are my hurricane Ike photos, from the day after the storm:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnRich3rd/HurricaneIke

The quality is low, as they were taken in rain, with an old film camera.

The photos have been downsized to go easy on your modem, and there are 12 of them.

Go to the link, above, and click "slideshow". Then immediately go to the bottom of the screen and click on the plus-sign a few times to increase the number of seconds between images, or it'll zoom right past the first few without giving you time to see them. You can click the "back" arrow to back-up and see anything you missed.

Enjoy!