Canuck

Container Survey - NEW PURCHASE ONLY!!

Ever heard about that place?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe
It's hard to believe, but some containers are produced there.

You are right, it is hard to believe.

In the original post it was stated:

“Yes, I know there are lots of other manufactures, but these are the biggies.”

ParaTec, Teardrop and the other rigs manufactured in Europe do not fit into that category.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You should ask for a time period.

When were these rigs bought?

Yeah, I thought about making it only rigs bought in the last 10 years, but then I thought better to keep the poll simple. So far I'm quite suprised with the results. I would have expected Sunpath to be up much higher. I bet if second hand rigs were included, they would be just from all the old sponsored rigs in circulation out there.

Canuck

And PdF?

Well, considering that all the "other" rigs have now added up to a whopping 5%, I think it's probably safe to guess that the PdF share is no more than 2%. So, once again, I would hardly say that counts as one of the "biggie" manufactures, which is what this poll is about. Not that there is anything wrong with Atom containers - I think they are probably the best thing coming out of Europe, and certainly better than our absolutely shitty Canadian made Sidewinder.

Canuck

and certainly better than our absolutely shitty Canadian made Sidewinder.

Hmmmm..... I jump a Sidewinder.... not too much different from an Infinity which has quite a following here. What's your beef with Sidewinders?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Damn you Ian! I knew as soon as I hit post, you were going to get all high and mighty about your Sidewinder. :P

If you're happy with it, then that's all that matters, but they are NOTHING like an Infinity other than the very basic aesthetics.

Are you and Maria coming to the Invasion this year?

Canuck

Might be educational to put my Sidewinder next to an Infinity and compare :)
Unfortunately Maria and I won't make this year. [:/] Next year maybe.

Remember on the 17th you have 2 Christmas parties to go to, one at Aidan’s and then the one at my place.

You're expected to attend both! Bring your good looking other half. B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Can you say, "Money Shot"? Nice picture Mary!

It's all JP Kelly, making me look good;)

Sinker:

that's a great score, mar.

How did you know what I paid for the rig;) Yes, it was a great price.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

my first new container bought last year is an infinity. im ordering another this spring when kelly finalizes his new CUT IN harness system!!! i cant wait, hey folks the most comfortable rigs on the market are about to be even better and more comfy!!
thanks kelly for such an amazing product, and the best customer service ive had the pleasure to expierience.

I just ordered my brand new WINGS the other week! Hopefully it will get here by the time I have learnt to land on my feet so that I don't get it tooooooo dirty! =) All of the student gear at our DZ are Wings containers and they are so comfortable!
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

I've only got the experience of one, fairly student-heavy, DZ to go by, but the other new first-rig buyers I know seem to be buying pretty much

1. (Aerodyne) Icon
2. (Sunrise) Wings

in that order. I think one guy was considering a Mirage, too. This is a European DZ but it seems few people there had Euro-made rigs, which was probably influencing what the kids were buying.

One thing I noticed though was that quite a few of the instructors have Javs and Vectors but they were not much in consideration as first rigs - possibly due to price? I asked my instructors about a Vector, but was ushered fairly decisively towards an Icon.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I asked my instructors about a Vector, but was ushered fairly decisively towards an Icon.

[:/]

And why is it that we so often refer our newbies to their instructors for help with buying their gear?

When it comes to training/procedure questions when a newb, ask your instructors.

When it comes to gear selection, there is little reason to think that instructors should be your source of wisdom. By the time you have enough jumps to use your own gear, you should have a pretty good idea of those on the DZ (besides instructors) that have the experience and wisdom to help you spend your money wisely.

The good news is that there are many good containers out there, and it all depends on how heavily you weigh the different factors.

New gear is fun, don't let one person's bias push you too much.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

OK, so now that all the people with Infinitys have voted, it's time for the rest of you to get in there...

Seriously - a third of all new rig purchases are Infinitys? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just wouldn't have guessed it.

Canuck