Mozencrath

Which Reserve

If i were buying a new reserve (out of the two choicies) - I would buy a Smart reserve since I've heard good things about them and they have good reinforcment too (spanwise).

Just my opinion. :)
Maybe worth searching the forums on both the reserves.

Smart, hands down. If anything from Precision, then get a R-max. Why no PD? Price? You'll get it all back on resale...

Canuck

Yes, price basically....

What size are you looking for?

I've seen a few used PDR and Smart reserves for sale over the past few weeks.

Edit: Nevermind, saw the wanted ad.

Try these:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=28698&d=1

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=28099&d=1

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=27950&d=1

B|

Smart, hands down. If anything from Precision, then get a R-max. Why no PD? Price? You'll get it all back on resale...

Canuck

Yes, price basically....

Your reserve is not the item to be cutting costs on. I am not endorsing PD, Smart or Precision. But you should make your decision on quality not the cost.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Both Precision and Aerodyne make nice reserves. Don't get fooled into thinking you have to buy the most expensive reserve to be "safe"

PD makes a nice reserve but the Smart is also a very well built, safe, and reliable reserve.

The MicroRaven is not a nice reserve.

Derek

Yes, price basically

How much more is a PDR going to cost? $200? $300?

Take that money from somewhere else in your rig budget. Maybe reduce your budget for your main, you'll be buying used and replacing it before too long anayway.

You'll be able to hold in to the reserve for longer than a main, and when you sell, you'll get the money back (but you'll turn around and spend it on a smaller PD reserve).

At one time I was a micro-raven fan but that has changed. One problems people have with them is the control stroke is very short.

Most canopies have a long control stroke and that's what jumpers are used to.

A usual scenario: A malfunction occurs and the jumper cuts away and goes to reserve. They fly back to the landing zone with out giving a control check and they flare hard right before landing.

The control stroke on a raven is so short that it stalls rapidly and dumps the jumper onto his back.

PD has a a longer control range and great flight characteristics. A panic flare on a PD generally will not cause the canopy to simply fold up behind you.

I would suggest a PD over a micro raven any day. I have not flown an R-Max.

I have flown a micro raven 135, 120 and 109. Also a PD-R 106. The 106 was much easier to fly and land. The control range was quite long for such a highly loaded canopy and the stall point was much lower. It was easy to land.

Remember, no matter what reserve you choose, if you find yourself under it, do a canopy contol check.

Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Any thing works well if you fly it on a regular basis. If you are used to say, a sabre 2 or pilot with a long control range, then find yourself under a raven (especially one smaller than the main) for the first time and panic flare it, it will fold up and dump you on your back.

I agree that it's a good parachute but I still wouldn't recommend it for a newer jumper. Trends are now that the reserve tends to be smaller than the main, at least until the jumper has more experience. Take that scenario and flare too hard.

I've watched several people flare last moment and find themselves lying on their backs with the wind knocked out of them.

Even though it's pilot error for over flaring, why have one when there are much better flying/flaring reserves?

What's your wingload;)

Load it up and then just cram on the brakes and watch it fall off backwards.

I've landed a 109, 120, 135 and it was fine. Then again, my first landing on a 135 was after 1200 jumps. It flared at my shoulders and the remaining range was very small. It would begin to stall just past my shoulders.

The ad for the R-Max shows a jumper landing in the peas with his arms fully extended. There's a reason for that ad. The short control range that everyone complains about has been addressed. Do the same thing on a Super Raven. I dare ya ;)

I don't understand this. I have always considered the raven to be a docile, predictable , and easy to flare canopy. The two reserve rides I have had on ravens were soft, tippy-toe stand-ups.

Maybe I just had better training;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most of the people who complain about Raven reserves load them more than the manufacturer recommends.
Ravens were originally designed to be loaded about 0.8 pounds per square foot and not much more than 1:1 as reserves.
Even Chris - at the factory - admitted that Ravens fly poorly when loaded beyond 1.4.
Then he launched into a sales pitch about how Precision's new R-Max reserves fly so much better.
He was right. I hopelessly over-loaded an R-Max 118 last month. Since I had it open by 2,000, I had plenty of time for practice flares and chasing my cutaway main. After three practice flares, I concluded that it was best to flare the R-Max to the bottom of my ribs.
I landed in softly in a muddy farmer's field, only went down on one knee.

Conclusion, if you are dumb enough to load a Precision reserve beyond manufacturer's recommendations, buy an R-Max.