jayrech

Unintentionally Offended

I think if you want to be 'the joker', then you have to have a thick skin, since not everyone will appreciate your humor.

Also, being the guy that speaks up about safety is not always easy, there will always be people who question your motives, and your actions. Again, you have to have a thick skin.

If you want to be both - the joker AND the guy who's being the safety guru, then you're going to annoy some people. I think it's that simple.

Me, I try to watch out for safety, but do not try to be the center of attention. It seems to work. I do have a thick skin.

Lastly, deciding who you want to work for is a decision you should take seriously. If your values differ so much from your boss, to me - that's a great indicator to find somewhere else to jump and work.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I have no doubt he knows the functions of the gear, I think it was a case of complacency

Complacency? Not running the white loop through the terminal end isn't complacency. It's stupidity, ignorance, or both.

Not running the loop through the terminal end is akin to putting both legs into one leghole of your undies. Sure it works, but it's clearly not right....and it doesn't take a genius to recognize it.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I saw this same problem happen to someone else a few weeks ago. As his canopy dropped after landing, one riser fell loose. Experienced jumper, had put his rig back together than morning, and seems to have made that same routing mistake on one riser. At least, that is the only explanation we could figure out.

There was a rigger who, a couple months ago, mis-routed the cable (not sure how) during an assembly thereby causing an impossible cutaway. It was caught after one jump on the system. The rigger blamed the jumper for not doing a complete gear check prior to jumping.

I have no doubt he knows the functions of the gear, I think it was a case of complacency

Complacency? Not running the white loop through the terminal end isn't complacency. It's stupidity, ignorance, or both.

Not running the loop through the terminal end is akin to putting both legs into one leg-hole of your undies. Sure it works, but it's clearly not right....and it doesn't take a genius to recognize it.

I remember when R3's came out and it seemed a lot of jumpers were having unintentional releases on opening...

It 'seemed' pretty easy to hook them up, but you know SKYDIVERS! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Do the wingsuiters get offended if you ask whether their legstraps are connected ?

Kevin Keenan
Titusville FL

Jeez - I even ask MYSELF if my legstraps are on every time I fly my wingsuit!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do the wingsuiters get offended if you ask whether their legstraps are connected ?

Kevin Keenan
Titusville FL

yeah but you're old and you forget shit easily:ph34r::ph34r:

To the OP is the said jumper patently aware that they could well be FUBAR or dead right now because of this "oversight"
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Kevin Keenan
Titusville FL

Forget what?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It sounds to me as if the offense was taken in that you seemed somehow either "trite", or worse yet - ridiculing of the person who did this. Even though you did not mention names, I'm sure at least the DZO knew who was being referred to - and if he/she thought you were merely inferring stupidity on them - he was (albeit himself inappropriately too) "putting you back in your place".

This is just how I observe what you say here, occurred.

The old addage - two wrongs don't make a right, comes to mind over the interaction.

That said, and as others in here have now already pointed out - this type of mis-rigging, then MISSING it, and getting that rig in the air is a very REAL concern. Someone needs to step back just a bit from the "politics" of the who's and the wherefor's posturing taking place now about how it is being handled - and if they are worried about how it is being "communicated", or "getting out there" - then handle that first most DIRECTLY, and PROFESSIONALY (and seriously - with a mind and an eye towards promoting safety 1st) themselves.

Just my .02
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Kevin Keenan
Titusville FL

Forget what?

Exactly
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Is the DZO the kind of person who wants to be in control?
If yes maybe he's offended that he's the last one to know and pointed a sharp tooth at you. He only talk/bark but didn't take no actions. You've should presented this information directly to him and not allow that other people or eavesdropping takes it to him.
If no ... I can't relate :P

It has been my experience that it is the DZO's playground....NUFF SAID

... how much of an idiot I was ... once again stating how much of an "idiot" I was .

Should have punched the fucker in the face, few times and go jump somewhere else. >:(
Only really good friends can call you an idiot. ;)
facebook.com/trig78

[annoyed]"keep your hands off my (cheststrap/three rings); don't mess about opening my reserve flap - just peek at my reserve pin, will you!?[/annoyed]

:|

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

... how much of an idiot I was ... once again stating how much of an "idiot" I was .

Should have punched the fucker in the face, few times and go jump somewhere else. >:(
Only really good friends can call you an idiot. ;)

Thanks for the post. Now I know not to go jump at your place. The sound of your post tells me of the prevelent attitude at your place.

SUICC. If you do something stoopid, man up and fess up...grow some balls and admit your mistake.
It's called personal responsibility.

"punched the fucker in the face"....sheesh.
You're evidently too young to have learned that when you do that, you just may be quite surprised by what comes back at you. There ARE better ways of handling conflict than resorting to violence. You'll hopefully learn that sooner rather than later.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

[annoyed]"keep your hands off my (cheststrap/three rings); don't mess about opening my reserve flap - just peek at my reserve pin, will you!?[/annoyed]

:|

I'm familiar with that sort, although I think they're not the norm.

Regardless that attitude, one can typically eyeball another's 3-rings while dirt diving, emplaning, riding the stench chamber to altitude, etc.

I hope it's common practice to visually inspect other's gear from donning to exit. It is where I've jumped.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

It sounds to me as if the offense was taken in that you seemed somehow either "trite", or worse yet - ridiculing of the person who did this.

God forbid that someone be "ridiculed" for fucking up a simple gear check to the point that they may have been killed. This is a sport in which lack of knowledge about one's equipment can truly be deadly. If it takes a bit of "ridiculing" to make that point, so be it. Certainly, there are many ways to make a point with someone. But if someone resents the lack of "kindness and gentleness" used in an effort to save their life, then they have their priorities misplaced.

Kevin K.

1. There's also nicer ways to tell somebody that he is wrong than calling him an idiot.
2. You don't know me at all so no matter how my post ''sounds'' to you it's not reaaly wise to make judgement of my personality based on it.
3. Why did you even go there? It's not about me but the guy that started the subject. I gave my comment, you give yours Mr. 100000 jumps. No point comenting somebodys comment......Wait, did I just comment yours? :S:)

facebook.com/trig78

...You don't know me at all so no matter how my post ''sounds'' to you it's not reaaly wise to make judgement of my personality based on it.

Maybe you're not used to people taking your words literally, but when you use the words, "Should have punched the fucker in the face," as your proposed solution to a verbal problem, what conclusion do you expect people to draw about your personality? Are there a lot of fistfights on your DZ ? If you are a typical jumper in Bosnia, it doesn't sound too friendly.

Kevin K.

There ARE better ways of handling conflict than resorting to violence.

Yeah...I've found that being a big ugly serial killer lookin' guy with an NRA Life Member sticker on my car, tends of alleviate any conflict before it even starts! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If somebody does, well....as my friend would say: ''if you bring it you shall receive it''

So, it is your "friend" who would punch the guy for saying the wrong words to him. Sorry for my mistake. I should have never questioned your maturity.