Gravitymaster

*Warning re: Delta Airlines

Yep, thats another reason this issue is so important to all of us.

Heres some more information everyone might find interesting.

The letter Airtec claims to have from DOT/FAA stating the cypres is harmless and O.K. to carry onboard and aircraft?

Nobody at USPA has ever seen it. Thats right, "NOBODY AT USPA HAS EVER SEEN THIS LETTER". Thats what I was told when I asked for a copy of it.

Bob

We all have been through airports without it being an issue. Thats not the point.

Imagine yourself standing there with TSA and Air Line Security saying to you,

"This Cypres thing ain't allowed because it contains compressed gas".

Or:

"This Cypres thing ain't allowed because it contains an explosive."

What is your response going to be? "No it doesn't"?
I found out how far that will get you.

All I said was that we need to be cautious when we discuss the technical details. If you TELL them it has an explosive device that fires a sharp cutting implement that severs the nylon loop, yes you are screwed. If you use one of my answers you will simply explain that if it senses you are falling too fast it has a small relesase on the closing loop that deploys the reserve.

And yes, I have had issues with my rig before. They were resolved by going to the checkpoint super. You just happened to get a few that weren't up to speed on this. I'm just careful about how I explain things and thought I should mention that.

All I said was that we need to be cautious when we discuss the technical details. If you TELL them it has an explosive device that fires a sharp cutting implement that severs the nylon loop, yes you are screwed. If you use one of my answers you will simply explain that if it senses you are falling too fast it has a small relesase on the closing loop that deploys the reserve.

And yes, I have had issues with my rig before. They were resolved by going to the checkpoint super. You just happened to get a few that weren't up to speed on this. I'm just careful about how I explain things and thought I should mention that.

I agree.

I think it's Cypres that has that letter. I remember seeing the "FAI classifies the Cypres as non-harmful" thing on the Cypres webpage, not USPA. That would make sense, because that way it would be in effect in all FAI affiliated countries, not just the US.

I vote for organizing some kind of a protest. I'm not a US citizen, but I will participate in case it counts. If some moron is going to be too busy ripping up my precious rig that I spent 4 months of my life earning, so busy that he lets some Osama Bin Asshole through his security checkpoint, I will want nothing less than his head on a plate. I'm all for better security, as long as it's security and not stupidity.

We should at least try to tell them our 10,000,000 cents ;)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I wonder if it would be too much to write a webpage, like one of those petitions, that would gather everyones signatures, and after we're done it would generate a separate email for every signature and mail it to the TSA and whoever else.

Or would that be too much like flooding? Anyone up for it? CrazyIvan? ;)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Can someone get a hold of that letter and post it for all of us to see.

Dude....I know Army guys are slow...but...READ THE THREAD....there ain't one.....:D I think they made it up.

I'm not ready to say they made it up. I do think it's very curious that everyone including USPA has accepted it exists without actually seeing it. I will find out more tomorrow and will post any new information I get.

Bob

http://www.pia.com/SSK/cypres/dot_pr_082500.pdf

I know this is not the letter, but I'm sure that you can get a copy of the letter if you asked SSK. At least this proves that the letter exists and shows who has it.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Why don't we ask Airtec? The should be happy to provide us with a copy.

I'm sure they would give a copy to the USPA if they asked, worst come to worst. And, of course, the DOT should have it. We probably just need to ask.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

At this point a letter from the TSA and/or FAA does not exist. I requested a copy of the TSA/FAA letter from Airtech on TSA/FAA letterhead. I also suggested that they post it on their web site so that it would be available to everyone including the TSA.

Another way to resolve a lot of the problems would be to have a TSA approved device stamp on the Cypress and reserve packing cards.

I'm trying to say that something is not right. I understand that you contacted the USPA and TSA, but did anyone contact Airtec directly? I doubt they're lying outright, and they are the ones who should have the letter. And the DOT (or whatever), did we contact them?

When did you contact Airtec? Did we give them enough time to respond?

Lets do this responsibly.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU) on Christmas Eve forced me to check my rig after an extended discussion with every TSA on site. Problem was that the senior TSA didn't have a clue what a CYPRESS was and was concerned about the mythical 'compressed gas' cylinder inside. Standing there in my stocking feet and holding up my pants (belt was suspect) trying does not give one a position of advantage from which to debate! Finally gave up and checked it to make my flight. Comming home had no problem at all with security at Kansas City International (MCI). Waved at the TSA folks back in RDU walking out with my gear bag on the way out the exit. Point is, it appears the airports as well as the airlines need more information (RDU has a single entry point whereas MCI has individual gate scanners). I checked out the formats for the letters folks have been sending to Delta and will write my own to both airports in appreciation for their assitance in making my trip a memorable one.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range