ryoder

Let's see Remster beat *this*

I was curious, so I just did the math:

There is no way she could have pedaled to help at that speed. With a 53/11 ratio, which is the most aggressive standard ratio, that corresponds to a cadence of 179. Even if she was on a 55/11, that's still a cadence of 173.

That would have to be one steep long hill to be able to free ride at that speed...
Remster

There is no way she could have pedaled to help at that speed. With a 53/11 ratio, which is the most aggressive standard ratio, that corresponds to a cadence of 179. Even if she was on a 55/11, that's still a cadence of 173.

That would have to be one steep long hill to be able to free ride at that speed...

Cool math.

Gravity alone can do it, without pedaling. Ever seen the video of that guy careening down the side of a volcano to set a bicycle speed record? I think he got to 100 mph before his bike snapped in half.

Cool math.

Gravity alone can do it, without pedaling. Ever seen the video of that guy careening down the side of a volcano to set a bicycle speed record? I think he got to 100 mph before his bike snapped in half.

B| ouch!
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

Or riding behind a large truck to avoid wind resistance? Even then, that truck's getting a speeding ticket too.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

John: that record was on the side of a mountain. Not a road with normal road gradiants. Most of these records are on very steep hills that are much steeper than what a road would be.

By the way, the world record for a bike is 152 mph. on the flat. http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike01.htm but the gear ratios are a bit more aggressive! lol
Remster

I've gone into the low 50's occasionally. I think my top cadence ever was 145.

There are some seriously steep rides around here, like Lookout Mt, and Flagstaff Mt, but they are full of switchbacks, and I really have an aversion to sailing off into the trees and rocks. Then there is Boulder Cyn, but it is full of blind 45mph curves and I also don't enjoy rear-ending cars at highspeed.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

John: that record was on the side of a mountain. Not a road with normal road gradiants. Most of these records are on very steep hills that are much steeper than what a road would be.

By the way, the world record for a bike is 152 mph. on the flat. http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike01.htm but the gear ratios are a bit more aggressive! lol

But the record on level terrain without cheating is 81mph:

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2007/03/bikerecord_0330
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I used to mt bike all over California and Nevada. In Las Gatos, Ca there is a really nice area to ride(I think is a state park). I kid you not, they have speed limits on the trails where they overlap with hikers. There is a ranger sitting on a stool with a radar gun and if you are going to fast you get a fine. There were no signs posted that you have to slow down or that the trails came together. If you have never been on the trail you are in for a big surprise..:D

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I used to mt bike all over California and Nevada. In Las Gatos, Ca there is a really nice area to ride(I think is a state park). I kid you not, they have speed limits on the trails where they overlap with hikers. There is a ranger sitting on a stool with a radar gun and if you are going to fast you get a fine. There were no signs posted that you have to slow down or that the trails came together. If you have never been on the trail you are in for a big surprise..:D

On bikeforums.net, I've heard of ridiculous speed limits like 8 mph on trails.
But there is also a legal strategy to fight them: There is no law requiring a speedometer on a bicycle. So how is a citizen supposed to comply with a law if he does not have a way to determine if he is in compliance?:S

8 mph is a jogging pace for an adult - if you can't guesstimate that, you probably don't have any reason to be riding in the first place.

Oh, please. Are you going to tell me you can "guesstimate" the difference between legal 8mph, and illegal 9mph???:S

8 mph is a jogging pace for an adult - if you can't guesstimate that, you probably don't have any reason to be riding in the first place.

Oh, please. Are you going to tell me you can "guesstimate" the difference between legal 8mph, and illegal 9mph???:S

Nope, I doubt I could - I also doubt the 'trail cop' is gonna ticket you for 9 mph.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Considering the thread title, I feel strangely guilty for reading it.

Ok, OK! I apologize for a poor choice of words.[:/]
But did you need to put that image in my head?:S

Thank you for saying that. I was just going to ask if I was the only one having disturbing naughty thoughts from the title. :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ok, OK! I apologize for a poor choice of words.[:/]
But did you need to put that image in my head?:S

It's logically flawed anyhow, as Remi's a sub. :|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Ok, OK! I apologize for a poor choice of words.Unsure
But did you need to put that image in my head?Crazy

Sorry to hijack your thread, but any post that gets Skymama talking about her naughty thoughts is not wasted :P If it makes you feel better, head over to Speaker's Corner and derail my poll about the Stimulus Package. No one's paying attention to it anyway :ph34r:
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The real issue is if you are going to ride a bike only to keep up with a relatively slow joggin pace you shouldn't be on the bike.

8MPH is ridiculously slow on a bike.
My photos

My Videos

The real issue is if you are going to ride a bike only to keep up with a relatively slow joggin pace you shouldn't be on the bike.

8MPH is ridiculously slow on a bike.

I don't disagree - but if you're wanting the cardio workout, you should probably choose a different trail than the joggers are on, no?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706