FlyinNover

If you were renting a house/apartment. . .

. . .what things would you want to know about the neighborhood and what business are close-by?

I own a rental and plan to buy many more, and I'd like to provide any new tenants with important phone numbers and locations. Hospital, Fire Dept., Post Office, supermarkets, things like that.

I also am including a map with local banks, ATMs, laundromats, gas stations......all these things can be found out pretty easily by a tenant, but I'm in the business of KEEPING tenants, not turnover, so I try to do everything I can to make the transition easier for them. (For instance, I helped my current tenants move in. When their lease was up and they went to month-to-month, they said that help was a big factor in them staying in my place.)

So what would you want to know?

"Hey landlord, where's the closest ________?"

If you live in one of the suburbs with a local phone book, make sure they have one of those ASAP. Particularly if there is more than one, but one is better -- that's the one that you want to make sure they have.

Also the best local pizza -- they have to know how to pay all the folks who helped them move :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If it is a rental in florida dont forget the local bug company.:P
A list of the local utility companies, schools in the area, dmv locations, and cool hot spots.

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

IMHO, if there is grass to mow, make sure that there is a mower and weed whacker waiting in the garage if you want them to keep up the place, make sure they know that and ask periodically how the stuff is running-my landlord made sure I had the mower, so I can keep the place looking good. Give good gifts like plantable flowers as an incentive to get out in the yard. Just thought if you were really looking to be encouraging!-Caress:)

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

I realize that many people are much more high tech than I am and that they are all intimately acquainted with their GPS systems. Still, when I moved to Georgia a few years ago, I made up a set of 3 x 5 cards with directions to some of my most frequently visited places, so that I could just keep the cards in the car and pull out the appropriate one whenever I wanted to go somewhere. I know you said you're providing a map, but the 3 x 5 card method worked well for me because I'm terrible at reading maps.
TPM Sister #102

Grocery Stores
Post Office
Banks/ATM
Dept of Motor Vehicles (new to state needs to change plates and license)

Most cities Chamber of Commerce publish a guide that would cover these things.

Also- Garbage pickup day (and can requirements/prohibitions-don't laugh, I've had neighbors who didn't get their garbage picked up the first time)
Recycle pickup (same thing)

Emergency repair contacts- who do they call if a pipe breaks and they can't reach you? Plumber, furnace repair, window repair, electrician.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So what would you want to know?

"Hey landlord, where's the closest ________?"

Drope zone
Wind tunnel
Grocery
sushi place
dog park
dog friendly park
place to hike, jog

movie theatre
school
police.fire
town hall
community center

Are the neighbors assholes?
How is the crime in the area.

I normally call the local police dept and ask them about crime but then I can ask the renter and see if they are bullshiting me, if they dont know, or if they are honest
My photos

My Videos