jtval

Did he just say "nigger?"

I have today off. I took a nap after a run and had the tv on. There's a movie called"The dam busters" from 1954. Its about the RAF raid on Ruhr

It woke me up when someone yelled "nigger, come on boy!"
I woke up and rewound my dvr and the guy has a black dog named Nigger. He calls him a few times in the scene. If you watch the movie it's about 30 minutes in the a scene when they land and get out of the plane.
Then again about 35 minutes into the movie he gets out of his car and calls the dog.

Is he really saying nigger? Its from 1954 and we know how racism was out in the open but did the really put in it the movie?
My photos

My Videos

No they didnt mentioned the dog in the credits like they sometimes do today.

But the name was such that it woke me up from a sleep. I rewound my DVR and tried to listen in case I was mistaken.

Its not jigger.

I thought maybe he was saying Nika (Ne-kah)
but it wasn't the case either.

I definitely sounds like he's calling his dog Nigger.

The fact that I bothered to post it here means that I could not hear it any other way after rewinding it a few times.

It seems very odd to me.
My photos

My Videos

Yep, that is the dog's name. From Wikipedia:

The 1982 film The Wall, and the Pink Floyd album upon which it is based, contains scenes from the film, notably that in which Gibson's dog (called "Nigger") is killed by a car just before the bombers take off.

In 1999, British television network ITV broadcast a censored version of the film, with all utterances of "Nigger" removed. ITV blamed regional broadcaster London Weekend Television, which in turn alleged that a junior staff member had been responsible for the unauthorised cuts. When ITV again showed a censored version in June 2001, it was condemned by Index on Censorship as "unnecessary and ridiculous" and that the edits introduced continuity errors.[8]
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Hey! Dam Busters! Great movie really.

Lemme ask you something, did you notice anything, uh, similar between the climatic bombing mission and another famous movie?

I'll be back with the answer in a few . . .
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Actually no. I wasn't watching. I was sleeping.

The scene woke me up but I continued with my nap.

When I woke up about 30 minutes ago I realized what I thought I heard and rewound to see if I was out of my mind.

"Twardo, you were watching. Can you answer Quades question?
My photos

My Videos

It's probably nigger.

You have to understand something though about this. In Great Britain up to about 1950, there were few, if any people of African descent, and those that were, were from the British Commonwealth Caribbean states, rather than Africa. Therefore, most people had little or no contact with ethnic Africans. Our main colored populations came from India and Pakistan, and were referred to generally as "Asian".

"Nigger" itself was not used generally as a pejorative for black people, but rather as a synonym for the color black. It may have had it's roots in racist usage, but up until the latter part of the 20th century, no British person would refer to a person of African descent as a nigger. They would have used the more common epithet "coon" or "wog".

Now, as a child, born in 1958 and growing up in rural England, if you had a black dog or cat, the chances were very good that it might have been called Nigger. This was a very common name for a black animal. My uncle had a black cat called Nigger for many years, and at least two black labs in my neighborhood were called that too. The owners used to stand on their porches and call them in at night by their names too, which now would make for a surreal experience. (It was also common when I was a kid to turf your dog out in the morning, let it roam all day, and call it in at night).

If you want to read a more detailed explanation of the use of the word nigger in British society prior to it's racial connotation, the wikipedia entry on the term is useful.

So, in short, the guy in the film is calling his dog nigger, because that's it's name. It has no racial connotation in that usage, though it's got to feel that way viewed through the lens of today's attitudes towards the usage of the word.

Ok . . . anyone else . . . Airtwardo?

Star Wars ... the attack on the Death Star?

Almost shot for shot and word for word. Was used as the template.

The low flying scenes over the river were also the same footage used in the 30 Seconds Over Tokyo movie...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nope. you heard it..... that was the name of his black lab.... the one killed just before the raid... you can look up the Dambusters site... its on there.

http://www.dambusters.org.uk/about.htm

It was also used as the code word for a successfull breach of the dam.

I watched it too:D

:D:D:D Great minds.....;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For what its worth the next aircraft after Gibsons... 2 guys survived by jumping... from the site I listed...

The aircraft climbed to about 500ft and then the strain became too much and the Starboard wing collapsed sending the plane into a bright dive to crash and explode near the village of Ostonnen, 6km North West of the dam. Gibson noted that he thought some of the crew may have survived and in fact three survived the crash and two survived to become POW's. Burcher, the rear gunner jumped with his parachute open and in his arms and survived and F/Sgt Fraser the bomb aimer also made it out using the same method due to the low height of the aircraft. Minchin, the W/op was pushed out by Burcher but the altitude was too low and his parachute did not open in time to save him.