ltdiver

How to get cats to stop pissing!!!

I've just about had it with the neighborhood cats that swarm the area. For the past year I've put up with whomever is pissing on my front door by cleaning it up and trapping the few that allow themselves to be lured into the humane cat trap. Tom cats.

Now that my beautiful dog has gone her way after 15 years of dear and valued friendship the cats have taken up roost on my back porch as well. And yes, they are now pissing on my back door and porch also, as of last night!

I've spoken with my next door neighbor who 'owns' most of these cats (who can really ever own a cat) and she's aware that there is a problem. Now that the fiends are destroying the back of my house I've put in another call to her to try and find a solution. She hasn't called back yet.

So....my plan is to keep trapping the buggers and taking them elsewhere. That will take time, I know. They are feral cats. In the mean time, I'm up for suggestions on HOW to clean the piss off my house and porch (custom wood doors and painted cement porches) so they perhaps stop puddling and spraying and perhaps just leave my house and home alone! Is there such a method that works? Something that doesn't get tracked in my house, look unsightly, or have a stink of its own? Something that lasts more than a day?

The cat problem has been going on for years but it's just been the last 15 months that it's gotten frightfully out of hand. (yes, her feral cats have had 4 more litters, even though she -claims- all her 20+ cats are fixed. Bollox!)

Oh, and for those of you that have read my rants before on the subject, the pooping on my lawn and flower beds is still going on, but I scoop it up with a shovel and put it back on my neighbor's property for her to dispose of now. < Sigh >

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I think I've read somewhere about motion sensors activating water sprinklers.

I don't know...cats are so smart and sneaky.

I feel for you. We have three cats of which 2 are indoor cats and only one goes out. But, the other cats in the neighbourhood periodically give our back door a blast. It's disgusting.

A friend of mine swears by hydrogen peroxide to get urine smell out of her carpet. It may work on your door and porch.

I like cats but when these ones are gone that'll be it for me. It will be dog time.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I think I've read somewhere about motion sensors activating water sprinklers.

Got the "Scarecrow" a couple of years ago to protect my front lawn from the poopers. It worked for a little while, then the cats just ignored it. [:/] It's in the garage now, since it doesn't work anymore.

A friend of mine swears by hydrogen peroxide to get urine smell out of her carpet. It may work on your door and porch.

Found THIS WEB SITE, but it doesn't offer advice on how to cure the problem when there's multiple offenders.

Well first off you must eliminate the cats. You need guns LOTs of guns! Shoot any pussy that comes within 5 yards of your door.

ONce the threat is eliminated then it is time to start cleaning. You will NEVER get the smell out completely. Only time will do that or tear down your porch.

Cats are awful creatures! They piss ammonia (WTF)

So mix bleach, peroxide, battery acid and 409 in a sprayer and go to town. Wash it with water and let it dry.
Call off the HazMat team if they show up.
I like the idea of the motion sensor sprinkler, that should work well for future invasions.
Good luck.
:P:P

p.s. of course all this is a joke, I mean really who the heck is going to tear down their porch. :D:D

Actually I can't help you, I would just kill the cats. :)

LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

They don't like sticky stuff. Try putting contact paper, sticky side up on the porch. I don't know how the porch and door is set up, and bad weather may make it not work, but it's worth a look.

Also, the Dog Whisperer had low charge shock mats to keep a dog away from a fence it had been jumping over. Again, it may not work in your situation, but worth checking out. It's called the Scat Mat
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

White vinegar. A good dose with a spray bottle.

Animals hate the scent and it's not harmful to them.
Because they sniff before they squirt, they don't do it. Eventually, they stay away from the area.

I've used it on car wheels, the front door, furniture and carpets. So far it hasn't done any damage to anything I've used it on.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

What you need is a Fido Shock. Google Fido Shock of go here.
http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=940

Had a fido shock that worked really really well in keeping my dogs inside the back yard. I had a dog that I swear his legs were made of springs! He'd jump over my 6 foot fence!

I got the fido shock and it worked wonders to keep him in. After 5 years of constant use I decided that he was older, fixed, and didn't have the wander-lust anymore. I shut the fido shock off. 2 days later he was up and over the fence again! It went back on.

I think I gave it away to a friend years ago, but this is an idea. However, not only do the cats come up and over my backyard fence, they come -under- the fence as well, at the gate. [:/]

ltdiver

Because they sniff before they squirt, they don't do it. Eventually, they stay away from the area.

I've used it on car wheels, the front door, furniture and carpets. So far it hasn't done any damage to anything I've used it on.

Interesting idea. Wonder how it would go over, smelling like Easter at my front door year 'round...

ltdiver

String a wire where they piss. If needed you can always get a Pony Shock, same idea with a bigger kick.

Had a friend's brother fall out of a tree, onto her horse's fence shock wire. One leg on either side of the wire! :o He'll never forget that event, ever!

ltdiver

They don't like sticky stuff. Try putting contact paper, sticky side up on the porch. I don't know how the porch and door is set up, and bad weather may make it not work, but it's worth a look.

Also, the Dog Whisperer had low charge shock mats to keep a dog away from a fence it had been jumping over. Again, it may not work in your situation, but worth checking out. It's called the Scat Mat

To my friends: "Yeah, come on over for a party...oh, sorry for curling your hair there with the shock!" :| I'm tired of spending loads of money on trying to cure my neighbor's blight. If -she- would buy the product I'd give it a try.

Not trying to sound harsh, but there's been literally hundreds of dollars spent (by me) to try and keep the irritant at bay. Nothing has had lasting results. I've told my neighbor about all these tries, but she, herself, hasn't done anything to try and correct her pet's number, or habits. At least I've been a good neighbor and spoken with her about it and not just called Animal Control or bought a pellet gun. [:/]

ltdiver

Interesting idea. Wonder how it would go over, smelling like Easter at my front door year 'round...

ltdiver

The smell to humans goes away quickly. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I haven't had it as bad as you do now, but not long ago I had two feral cats trapped and taken away by animal control. One had been coming around the last 5 years just for the food, but showed up with what looked like a broken leg. And since he had never let me touch him in all that time, I had animal control bring cages out to catch him. I just happened to catch another one that I'd seen for several months. I have had my front door blasted a few times. I do have a pellet rifle that I've used a few times since I live in a rural town with no neighbors except the one across the street who only has a dog.

I use a water/vinegar mixture in a spray bottle, hose the spot down then wipe it off. It doesn't get all of the smell out right away but it does help.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

All these unnecessary and violent suggestions.

The problem is the peeing.

Let's remember that "catheter" starts with "cat".

Humanely capture the cats and install a small catheter so that
it runs down the back of their front legs.

It also sends a handy message to people who let their cats
run around outside, pee at your place, and then return home.
(I know women who let their cats curl up on their pillow,
around their head, while they sleep.)
:ph34r:

White vinegar.

Okay Lisa...

I've spent the greater part of today scrubbing the outside of my house and dousing it with vinegar. Good thing the supermarket carries it by the gallon.

The lawn furniture hasn't dried yet, so it's still inside the garage until it does.

This better work. If it doesn't the next step will have to be more drastic.

Oh, and my neighbor hasn't called me yet. And yes, she was home today. Not as many cats wandering around, though. Wonder if she took most of them inside with her. I only saw 4 of her 20 cats in the time I was outside (which was all afternoon). She used to keep them inside with her, years ago...Then she decided to remodel her house and kicked them all outside. That's when the problem started. If she keeps them inside with her, that'd be a ticket the neighborhood could live with.

ltdiver

If she's got 20 cats, she's got a psychological problem. Unfortunately, she probably should be reported to the ASPCA or whatever entity exists where you live. There's just no way to take care of 20 cats in a single home the way they should be taken care of.

That's just my opinion, I'm not an expert on the subject, but I've watched a lot of Animal Cops on TLC! ;)

We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

If she's got 20 cats, she's got a psychological problem.

She'd be the first to agree with you.

There's just no way to take care of 20 cats in a single home the way they should be taken care of.

Actually the cats are all in good health. She keeps their vaccinations up and they're well fed. While all but 2 of the cats will run away from anyone else, they all see her come home and come out of the wood work to scamper to her side when she arrives.

She knows there is a problem but won't give any of them up. Other than this she is a good neighbor.

ltdiver