skyflower_bloom

Another rather minor injury- face collided with step of plane on exit

So.. first off, I have had two relatively minor injuries in my three months in the sport.. is that a sign of bad luck, a sign I should take up bowling, or simple coincidence? Maybe I am not familiar with sports injuries and sports medicine- in fact, I know I am not. I have brothers who have played all sorts of rough and tumble team sports ad have broken multiple bones my injuries were a sprained ankle on a bad landing into a bit of a ditch on jump #5, and this one, on my 12th jump. The ankle however, after following the advice to refrain from jumping for 6 weeks, is still acting up- hurts if I walk more than say 10 minutes, and yesterday I did two stand-up landing in a row, which I realized was pushing it and paid dearly. I am thinking of PLFing for the rest of the season and/or seeing a physical therapist. But other than last night after 2 stand-ups in a row, day to day activity doesn't hurt it that bad at all, just minor pain/inconvenience,,

As for my latest, I had been doing "poised" exits from a power Cessna 182 at Ft A, then switched to SkyKnights/E Troy and had done jumps 6-10 as poised exits from a PAC750 (LOVE that jumpship!) Then, my 11th jump- AFF-6- had me doing a diveout which I did (though 2 seconds after my JM.. oops.. better late than never!? ;)

Today I went in to do AFF level 7 (my 12th jump total, if you count my tandem jump in April) and was surprised to see that after having done one diveout, the booklet has me returning to poised exits again for the next few jumps.. any idea wy? I wanna keep working on the diveout, and after today, it feels safer. But anyway, since I started my AFF/AFP with C182s, I don;t think my AFF-I was too concerned, but we did briefly go over the exit since the plane was different since I'd been jumping at that dz. Now, at my first dz (Atmosphair/Ft. Atkinson) I recall, IIRC, that we were taught check-in, horizon, up, down, arch/release. There was no motion mentioned, just the implication that by arching and allowing the relative wind to take us we'd be in the correct position. However, I will also say that my memory is not great and maybe I am wrong. That said, going over the C182 exits with JMs at my first dz verbally and on the ground, and actually doing them, I never attempted to step into a direction..

That said- this may be KEY- all my 182 jumps there were two jumpmaster jumps. The jump I did today out of a C182 was not only a one jumpmaster jump, but we were not in bodily contact- he was not gripping me or maneuvering me as I left. So maybe I was unaware of another dimension or direction of needed motion simply because the prior two jumpmasters holding me in earlier jumps did that motion for us!?

This may be partially due to some crossed wires or downsides to switching AFF programs partway through, but I don;t blame anyone- shit happens in this sport, and most sports. I am a bit frustratedthough that I cannot tell if I was lacking info on how to do this safely, if I overlooked important info that I had been told, or if this is so rare and unheard of that it wouldn't even have been considered.

My AFF-I from today did say that I was in a little far, which could have contributed. As for my part, I have been kicking my legs subconsciously for a couple seconds on exit/while accelerating, as though to kick myself away fromn the plane or twy to catch onto something.. I am comfortable with the sport and logically realize that the goal is to get nicely arched into that air cushion, but video debriefs show that this is a common issue and causes me to tumble exits, though I do stabilize it quickly and am usually ok from there out. Now, I did recognize that when I got out on the step/grabbed the strut, it was a bit different than what I had jumped prior, but I have no idea if these differences would have played any role whatsoever, except mentally that I noted them.

I think for me, one of the biggest things I had in my head was to relax my legs andf NOT move or kick them other than to gently get them properly arched, so if I was supposed to leap off somehow, I guarantee I did not do it cause I was consciously trying NOT to mess up my legs and do the kick thing! This too could be the root of my issue. Now, They almost always run the PAC, and I would like to get better at dive-outs, but I realize limiting my jump ships and/or exit types is not going to get me where I need to be as a safe and competent skydiver.. but the idea of another step exit, after al the PAC ones, poised and dive-out, does scare me now.

Also, the damange- m two top front teeth are fractured pretty bad- went to the ER and they put some stuff on to protect it, prescribed painkillers and antibiotics since they said that with the dentin/pulp layers showing I had a high infection risk, and that I needed to set my alarm for 7b or 8 am and call for an emergency dentak appt tomorrow. I may either need the teeth shaved down and a crown/veneer thing out on, or they may not be salvageable and may need entirely constructed teeth there. The ER didn't have an emergency dentist, so hopefully they can get me in on an emergency basis tomorrow.. Trust me, it is NOT pretty and hurts like holy hell. Also 4-5 of my bottom teeth seem to have been knocked, as they are croked, sensitive, and very loose (as is one of the two top front ones- loose that is) I also have quite the fat lip and mouth cuts, but they'll heal fine in due time..

My biggest concern: 1) Learning to do a safe solo exit from a C182, and accounting for variation in type of exit and tye of aircraft; 2) Get my damn mouth fixed asap. and 3) Understand a little bit more about how and why this happened- apparently instructor have seen helmets get bopped, but on mine didn;t realize I had caught my face until I'd landed bloodied. I didn;t really feel the pain in the freefall. and was able to complete my maneuvers (forward and backward rolls plus barrel roll) but I was definitely a bit disoriented trying to figure out what ha happened and how bad it was/is.

So.. any tips? Other injuries of this nature? Is this some sorta signh? (personally i have every intent to keeo jumping and get licensed,, but damn that hurt!!!

Any feedback or tips for goofd stable ex

blue skies,
R
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Ouch, that's brutal.

To summarize in less space, if I've got it right:

After 1 tandem, initial 4 AFF dives from a C-182, all with 2 instructors on the harness. Then dives from turbine aircraft or a dive out exit. Then on AFF level 7, (jump #12) it was the first poised exit from the 182 step without a harness hold. No step back, face hit step.

Stepping back has always been a crucial part of a C-182 poised exit. One has to teach students to avoid overly aggressive, unbalanced exits, but the other extreme needs to be addressed too.

I can't comment on what the original instructional technique might have been, but it is a good reminder that proper exit technique still needs to be taught and practiced, even if it is the case that early in AFF, linked exits may mask some problems.

I guess nobody earlier picked up on any tendency for you to not step back enough. It seems more common for a "weak" exit to involve 'leaving a foot on the step' and thus becoming completely dearched on exit, which is easy for instructors to see, while you were perhaps moving into an arch at least somewhat better (even if there was some kicking after exit.)

I sometimes see students who are in such a hurry to get belly-to-earth they jump and immediately try to go horizontal, forgetting that the relative wind is coming from the propeller and it will take a few seconds to get horizontal. If you jump out and immediately try to go belly to earth, you could definitely hit your face on the step.

Sucks about your teeth! B| And you performed your in-air tasks anyway! :o
Damn!!!!!

One thing to remember about the 182 poised exit is to get way out there on the strut - all the way out. If your JM requires you to have a foot on the step, have your left foot on the very outer edge and the rest of you all the way out!

If you're on the step, holding the V and your JM is outside, step back and give a little push with your hands. Don't hop up, just step back and give a push.

Good luck with your teeth.

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Stepping back has always been a crucial part of a C-182 poised exit.

It's step off to the side, not back. Problem solved. ;)

Pushing off is not required either.

I wonder how long it took for this to become standard training. I wasn't taught that as a S/L student; nor was I taught anything about facing the prop's/plane direction's relative wind. Just step off, go horizontal and arch. It's a wonder I never mashed my face on the step, either. You and I started around the same time. What were you taught?

I wonder how long it took for this to become standard training. I wasn't taught that as a S/L student; nor was I taught anything about facing the prop's/plane direction's relative wind. Just step off, go horizontal and arch. It's a wonder I never mashed my face on the step, either. You and I started around the same time. What were you taught?

To hang on the strut.;)

But when I was taught a poised exit, it was to get way out there, with just the left foot on the strut, knee bent, and step to the side. If taught and coached properly, it's easy. It's also easy to screw up if you're too timid to get out far enough or to actually step off to the side.

I teach that in a proper poised exit, as you stand on the step, leaning into the wind, your torso is already at the perfect angle to the relative wind. Don't push off hard to stand up in the air, don't dive off forward to lay flat in the air, just push off to the side with your left foot, let your hands slide off the strut to guide you, and arch.

Bam, you're in freefall, nice and stable. :)

As for my latest, I had been doing "poised" exits from a power Cessna 182 at Ft

What's a Power C182?

Then, my 11th jump- AFF-6- had me doing a diveout which I did (though 2 seconds after my JM.. oops.. better late than never!? ;)

You mean he dove and expected you to follow? I make the student go first.:D

I recall, IIRC, that we were taught check-in, horizon, up, down, arch/release. There was no motion mentioned,

Aren't "up and down" motions?

That said, going over the C182 exits with JMs at my first dz verbally and on the ground, and actually doing them, I never attempted to step into a direction..

Then that would be the instructor's fault. The most important part instruction is to watch the student's performance and correct any mistakes.

because the prior two jumpmasters holding me in earlier jumps did that motion for us!?

That's correct. They'll shove/drag you off the step in the proper direction 'cause the inside guy doesn't want to hit the step.

This may be partially due to some crossed wires or downsides to switching AFF programs partway through,

I recommend sticking to one DZ until you get your A license.

or if this is so rare and unheard of that it wouldn't even have been considered.

You aint' the first person to bounce off the step.:D:D

For further info on how to do a poised exit, read my post above this one. Sorry about your teeth.

To hang on the strut.;)

Where I learned in '76 we didn't have a step just the wheel, if the pilot let off the brakes...you WERE hanging!
:S

I didn't see the actual hanging method until I was teaching a couple years later.

~And a tip of the ole 'hard core' hat to the OP...she gets the Timex award on that jump! B|

-couple of other points:

I'm a large industrial size jumper with glass ankles, you may want to consider boots for a while or at least high-top leather basketball shoes with an ACE ankle brace under the socks...lace 'em tight for the jump, loosen afterwards.

As you're finding out it's easy to re-injure the ankle even when the landing is a 'good' one.

Also...most readers here have the attention span of a goldfish, two sentence paragraphs and small words keep the post understandable & flowing for them! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Today I went in to do AFF level 7 (my 12th jump total, if you count my tandem jump in April) and was surprised to see that after having done one diveout, the booklet has me returning to poised exits again for the next few jumps.. any idea wy?

We have the program set up this way because we would like students to get the experience of a diveout exit while working with the instructors (before moving on to coaches). We go back to the poised exits because we want you to have a fair amount of experience with them before the first hop and pop jump which happens before you switch to coaches.

Hope you're ok and I sent you an email.

:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You're not the first student to face plant a step, and you won't be the last. The students that I've seen eat step tended to have their heads down on exit rather than back and looking at the prop, or they tried to get belly to earth really fast by bringing their head down rather than ride the hill and let gravity take it's course.

Keep your head back... your body follows your head. Head back will help with a great arch, stability, your swimming back to the plane habit, awareness, heading, and a lot of other things. Plus it's really hard to eat step that way.

Hope you get the dental work fast!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

As for my latest, I had been doing "poised" exits from a power Cessna 182 at Ft

What's a Power C182?

**sorry probably by newb terminology kicking in lol. i guess somethig about it not being a regular c182. i think their website refers to it that way, and possibly a review on here though it's early and my mouth hurtws so don't hold me to it. it basically is something about the engine maybe, not the size or shape of the plane i.e.e gets to altitude faster? no idea if relevant, i can dfind out if ya think it is.

Then, my 11th jump- AFF-6- had me doing a diveout which I did (though 2 seconds after my JM.. oops.. better late than never!? ;)

You mean he dove and expected you to follow? I make the student go first.:D

LOL.

i was SUPPOSED to dive at the same TIME as him but with him in front. I.e. exit count: lurch forward, lurch back, dive. He told me it would seem scary, like i was diving into him, but to keep eye contact and leave in one smooth motion. He must have known it was against most student (and humans' for that matter) instincts to dive headfirst at another human. So, yeah. I froze. I look down out of the plane and he's gesturing to me like, it's ok, come on! I was the only one left in the PAC and knew if I waited i'd get a long spot or lose the green, and miss the jump, so I just threw myself out since he gave me the go ahead. Lol. He got to me in the air too.. I did the barrel rolls alone then he got to me for forward motion, so it all worked out. But yeah, being the only one in that plane and seeing your JM falling away is quite the "oh shit" moment. My bad, lol. But we made it work.

I recall, IIRC, that we were taught
check-in, horizon, up, down, arch/release. There was no motion mentioned,

Aren't "up and down" motions?

**Yeah sorry- I mean as an exit count- motions on the vertical axis if that makes sense. push your body up, then down, so they know you are about to release hands from the strut/exit.

That said, going over the C182 exits with JMs at my first dz verbally and on the ground, and actually doing them, I never attempted to step into a direction..

Then that would be the instructor's fault. The most important part instruction is to watch the student's performance and correct any mistakes.

**I take full responsibility for all my skydives, and like I said, maybe they told me something about this and I forgot it, but the fact is, I never had any motion *while actually leaving the step* on the ground mock-up or in the exit except that of the JMs, i wish i knew what they were doing and why so when this time came i could do it myself..

I assume though that staying at the cessna only dz, they (hopefully) would have thought to teach me that before having me do that on the one instructor or coach jumps... but to me building habit starts early and i wish, even if it hadn't been my job to do the motion out at the time, the jms told me they were doing it so my ind started to absorb that info.

But, switching dzs to finish had some good reasons and i am really happy with my choice, but definitely makes sense to stay at one through A now!

I guess the lesson is simply try not to switch before A, and if a switch occurs for a good reason, take small changes into consideration- for ex. i would not have even thought that anything would be different from a 2 JM exit from a cessna, than from a 1 JM exit with no body contact, other than the fact that you don't have that guaranteed (to some degree) stabiilty from the start.. but looking back, it seems obvious there easily could be- and IS- a difference since your body has to do what three bodies were doing before.

I should have asked more questions, having never done a solo cessna exit, and gone over it more. I had no idea i was jumping the cessna till i got there, then i maybe got both nervous (since i had been jumping the pac only at the dz) and also somewhat complacent (because i had started my skydiving with cessnas) and (thought i knew what i was doing

because the prior two jumpmasters holding me in earlier jumps did that motion for us!?

That's correct. They'll shove/drag you off the step in the proper direction 'cause the inside guy doesn't want to hit the step.

**Yeah.. this makes perfect sense (in retrospect that is.. hindsight's 20/20 and all that..)

This may be partially due to some crossed wires or downsides to switching AFF programs partway through,

I recommend sticking to one DZ until you get your A license.

or if this is so rare and unheard of that it wouldn't even have been considered.

You aint' the first person to bounce off the step.:D:D

**Well, at least I have company I guess... :P
Been reading all these posts lately about cut/no cut and the hop n pop especially since that's coming up for me too, and when we had a hop and pop in the PAC (not me i mean) they did cut and i actually remember thinking, good, nobody's hitting the plane today (yep, i know it's not that simple- but till now i thought hitting the tail with no cut was the main plane related concern..)

For further info on how to do a poised exit, read my post above this one. Sorry about your teeth.

**Thanks for the reply!! :)

Ouch, that's brutal.

To summarize in less space, if I've got it right:

After 1 tandem, initial 4 AFF dives from a C-182, all with 2 instructors on the harness. Then dives from turbine aircraft or a dive out exit. Then on AFF level 7, (jump #12) it was the first poised exit from the 182 step without a harness hold. No step back, face hit step.

Stepping back has always been a crucial part of a C-182 poised exit. One has to teach students to avoid overly aggressive, unbalanced exits, but the other extreme needs to be addressed too.

I can't comment on what the original instructional technique might have been, but it is a good reminder that proper exit technique still needs to be taught and practiced, even if it is the case that early in AFF, linked exits may mask some problems.

I guess nobody earlier picked up on any tendency for you to not step back enough. It seems more common for a "weak" exit to involve 'leaving a foot on the step' and thus becoming completely dearched on exit, which is easy for instructors to see, while you were perhaps moving into an arch at least somewhat better (even if there was some kicking after exit.)

Thanks- I sometimes need a translator :) Good call lol.

Yes, I think that my exits were causing my to become dearched more in the other direction, and I also agree that since you are pretty much "pulled away" by the motion of the experienced JMs, it's hard for me to know exactly what I was doing, and for them to see certain things to correct it. Maybe more visualization and practice onthe mock-up is in order.

But, sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way I suppose *shrug*

Thanks for the reply :)

Sucks about your teeth! B| And you performed your in-air tasks anyway! :o
Damn!!!!!

One thing to remember about the 182 poised exit is to get way out there on the strut - all the way out. If your JM requires you to have a foot on the step, have your left foot on the very outer edge and the rest of you all the way out!

If you're on the step, holding the V and your JM is outside, step back and give a little push with your hands. Don't hop up, just step back and give a push.

Good luck with your teeth.

Thanks- yeah I think I was in too much. Also I learned to trail the leg closest to the plane which now to me thinking about it makes no sense cause would rather my L foot on the step and right hanging off, as far away from the plane as i could get, no? Ah lessons learned. But I am sure it could have been much worse. And I passed the level. So I'll be ok :P Thanks for the feedback. It's definitely helpful to get so many perspectives on the situation and explanation of what should be done to make a successful poised from a cessna. Back in the saddle this weekend or next week, depending on how much these stupid teeth cost me and how much is left for jumpage, if any.. lol.

Lol well I gotta run and make this dentist appt, I need to figure out how to multi-quote, sorry for the extended back to back post thing.. thanks again for the feedback.. I'll let you all know how it goes! robyn

Oh and thanks for the tips on the ankle airtwardo.. yep, I didn't think it wold still be flaring up, but it does seem to make sense to take some extra measures in the meantime to support it.

I have seen it a couple times during my career. We teach students to step to the side and away, but the ones that hit their face 'went limp' you might say on the step and simply fell off.

Both times, lots of blood and nearly knocked stupid. Not a good situation.

Pay attention to every step of the skydive as it happens. When on the step, focus on the exit, when in freefall, focus on the body position tasks and altitude. When under canopy focus on patterns and flying, when on final, focus on the landing.

Ouch!

So.. they did x-rays and oral exam.. said that basically the shifting and swelling make it really hard to make a determination as to what the next step is. They did not even want to mess around with temps since it's so sensitive and felt they would aggravate it even worse.

Worst case, I will need two to three root canals, as it appears some are starting to die. I am on a hefty dose of Abx since the dentin and pulp are exposed I was told I have a very high risk of infection without abx.

But, best case, they'll heal back up fairly quickly as things stabilize, and I'll just need minor cosmetic work like fillings, veneers, or crowns, on my top front two teeth, while the others stabilize back into their respective places. The did point out a few other teeth with cracks and light damage, and said that just because I may not need work on those teeth now, it increases the chances of issues (rot canal/crown) down the road, to be aware of that, but.. knock on wood..

**Question (please don't flame me, I just wanna keep jumping! don't we all?) Would it be bad to jump at this point? (I realize it is ultimately my choice and will not interpret any replies as medical advice)

It doesn't hurt that much (though I have been taking narcotics, acetominophen, and ibuprofen for the most part).. I know I obviously wouldn't take vicoden before jumping, but if I just took tylonel and/or ibuprofen, i mean?

The dentist said hellz no on the jumpage, at least until I check in with the other dentist on Tuesday, but they know nothing about the sport, nothing except for that I got hurt whilst skydiving and thus they cannot recommend for me to skydive in the interim based on simple logic.. However, they did also say these next five days were crucial as far as being very gentle on my teeth and seeing what direction things move in.

I just don't feel that jumping really puts any pressure on my teeth at all!? I mean, I don't wanna be stupid, and I don't want to push it. But, if there is absolutely no relevance or link between the situation in my mouth and the act of jumping, I don't want to sit it out for no good reason. (On the other hand, if there's a slight chance it could worsen it, I don;t want to risk it of course.)

Maybe I am just crazy. But any docs or dentists who skydive on these forums, anyone else, any thoughts? I mean, I am sure that having been out almost 6 weeks on the ankle, five days will be do-able, even nothing compared to that.. I'll probably survive somehow :P But if I get a chance to jump this weekend, I'd hate to pass it up if there is really no reason not to do so.

That said, from the financial angle, my dental insurance covers a bit over 1k a year, and each root canal and crown is around 1.8k... so I may have spent my jumping budget for the next year on this situation. Please just cross your fingers, pray, chant, whatever it is ya'll do that my teeth bounce back and I don't need pricey and painful root canals next week! Wish me luck and I will let you know next week.
----------------
So once someone is licensed, is there ever a reason to do a poised cessna exit, or is it something used as a tool in AFF for specific reasons>? Not trying to get out of it lol, in fact I don't think I will feel good about things until I have conquered this poised c182 exit.. but just wondering about the differences between the types of exits and why they might be used/ pros and cons (perhaps a topic for a different thread...)

Anyways, thanks for the support. I partially thought that people were going to tell me that between a sprained ankle landing and a face plant on the step, I'd better stop skydiving with the cards stacked as they are LOL.. glad to hear I am not yet lining up for the bowling talk...

I certainly want to continue and have every intent of it-- the only factor that bothers me is that no matter how good of health insurance, dental work cost is something where you're bound to get fucked in the ass. I almost wish it was a facial surgery or something rather than oral/dental. There shouldn't be such discrepancy! And what of those who don't have dental at all!? The state dental plan is a complete joke.. argh. At least I am lucky in some ways, it is all relative. But yeah-- come Tuesday, I will know whether this is going to be a hundred dollar invoice or a 5k invoice, and that my friend will make a very big difference in the scheme of things.. I can always cash out my retirement and stock, but that would be an absolute last resort. I guess when I was doing my estate planning and thinking about medical and all, I neglected to realize that dental is a totally different ballgame. So, another lesson to be learned-- dental work is expensive as all get out, and even the best coverage tends only to cover minor procedures and bi-annual cleanings.. be prepared, if possible.
----------------------
One other question- anyone else who has bit the step, or seen students do so- any idea of the ramifications, healing time, etc.?? Right now it is a bit sore, but other than eating or touching my teeth with my tongue it;s not bad (but then again I have been taking the painkilers, though not 24/7..) any ideas what to expect? I guess this also gets us back into the debate of full face versus not depending on level and license, visibility versus facial protection, but I guess that's also for another thread, and irrelevant atm..

Thanks again..

Stay safe all, and blue skies.. robyn

Don't jump, they sky will be there after your dental work is done. It's only a week break.

You are a tough bird by calling that a minor injury, that sounds like it would hurt like hell.

I still can't read all the way through one of your posts, man they are long.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Wow! Just reading all this makes my teeth hurt! [:/] I don't have any real advice for you as you can see I don't have much when it comes to skydiving experience, but I'd just take it easy for a bit if I were you. I have had a horribly sprained ankle before (several times actually, non-skydiving related), which the last time required months of PT and it still isn't quite right. The teeth issue, I'd be scared of risking injuring them further to be honest... and that I'd be focused on them (the pressure of altitude may cause increased pain I'd imagine?) instead of the jump, but that's just me.

Heal quick! Good luck whatever you decide!! :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Don't jump until after they are fixed. The pressure changes of freefall can make things worse. I've heard of people who have recent fillings losing them from pressures changes in free fall. Those who have recently had a tooth pulled also were advised to not jump until they heal up as the wound can reopen from the pressure changes. I don't know all the techinical jargon but it's the same thing as not jumping when you have a cold.

Like Tetra and Sapphire and Southern Man said, the sky will always be there, and it's not a good idea to jump when you're taking narcotic pain meds.

Poised exits are common from the Cessna. RW exits, tandem with video, FF, etc.

Learning to avoid the snag and smash points is part of learning to jump the Cessna. Keep your head on tight, look up when you're doing a forward-facing poised exit, and don't smash your hand, ankle, knee, elbow, head, face, etc. on the step! B|

Good luck with those chompers. ;)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Robyn sorry to hear of your bad experience. Hopefully you recover quickly. Typically when I have seen people hit the step it's because they balled up or looked down instead of going into an arch and keeping their head up. (remember "look up at the plane as you exit?") I'm not going to delve into the specifics of what you were or weren't taught at DZ #1 but am fairly confident that a slight side step, immediate arch, and look up at the plane as you are leaving were indeed covered (I'm guessing you may have heard a story about an instructor having someone in the plane hold up a certain number of fingers to the student as they came off the step and expecting the student to tell them post jump how many fingers were held up as a way to keep the students eyes on the plane?). I am not sure where you picked up to drag the inside leg, dragging the outside leg is something that is covered and reinforced from day one.
A few words to the wise...I would be cautious about coming to an internet site for advice, especially when on student status. It's quite easy for students to be nieve about advice they recieve and be led astray. You may have ten different pieces of advice that contradict eachother and will only serve to confuse you more. You also never know what an individuals motives or real experience level may be. I would strongly advise you to stick with advising your instructional staff at the DZ. After all they deal with you and have hopefully percieved the best way you learn the best way to present material to you based on past experience.
As for poised exits they are not simply a student only thing. They are something you will use often in your future skydiving activity. Especially if jumping 4 or 5 jumpers off the crowded step of a 182. :P

OUCH... you are one tough cookie....

Take a break and let your grill heal.

Also talk with your dentist.... If you are in any way connected with an industry; medical, advertising, etc... you may be able to get a "professional courtesy discount" my wife got one for her braces and it saved us about 2 grand.....
Never hurts to ask.

Good luck and watch the pain killers..... too many makes it hard to poo:o

By the way..... you type like my 3rd wife talked......

Very detailed;):ph34r: and ongoing

Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150