Tuna-Salad

Do people give 'tips' in other countries or is that just an American thing?

Seems lately I see a tip jar for any bullshit menial task.

Subway is a good example.. you are making me a fucking sandwich and getting paid your wage to do so.
That is only one example, but more and more often I see tip jars on the counter.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

We tip here in South Africa, a standard 10% on a restaurant bill, more if the waiter has worked his ass off. I also tip barman a couple coins per round, especially if the round is 48 and i'm paying with a 50. I don't tip when i order take out foods.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

What are the wages for servers and bartenders there?
Here it is significantly less than minimum wage. Our standard tip here is 15-20%. And most restaurants are now being forced to have staff turn in an tips and receive a paycheck to make sure Uncle Obama gets his cut.

A tip jar on the counter at Subway or the gas station is ridiculous. They make at least minimum.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

We tip here in South Africa, a standard 10% on a restaurant bill, more if the waiter has worked his ass off. I also tip barman a couple coins per round, especially if the round is 48 and i'm paying with a 50. I don't tip when i order take out foods.

In the U.S., 15% is considered bare minimum, with 20% or more expected for a restaurant bill. Get a $4 beer, the bartender expects a buck, 25% there. Same with a latte. My favorite burrito shop has the tip bucket right by the register. I think this country goes a bit too far. [:/]

However, it is always a good idea to tip your tandem master. ;)

I like the French idea of the tip included in the menu price.

I like the French idea of the tip included in the menu price.

When I made the mistake of taking a vacation in the Bahamas, they put a line item in the bill for the tip. And after seeing the shitty service you get in the Bahamas, it is obvious there would be no tips if they did not do that.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've been seeing more and more sandwich or "fast food" places around here having tip jars too and I think it's a bit ridiculous also. Granted, they do probably make minimum wage-who can live off that?
And I always leave good tips. I was once a waitress and know how hard they work and when you work your ass off for people and they leave you $1!

I was once a waitress and know how hard they work and when you work your ass off for people and they leave you $1!

you dont work your arse off for them you (should) work your arse off for your boss because they are the ones you CHOOSE to work for.

We dont tip generally in OZ, lots of places in South America want tips
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

tip is included in switzerland, yet, if you were satisfied, or the waitress is hot, u might leave a tip anyway.

i always leave tip at my favorite bars, makes for good free drinks or snacks in return.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

China is becoming more and more capitalistic every day. However when I was there I had a tour guide through some organization and whenever we would ride in a cab and I would try to tip he would tell me no. We asked the tour guide about tipping and I don't remember exactly what he said, other than people don't traditionally tip there.

Over here, tip whatever you want and they'll like it.
With the Dutch prices, 10-20% would be ridiculous.

Personally, I only tip if I get served at the table if the food's good and the staff isn't too crabby.
Tip at the local McDonalds? Please.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

In Asia, we also give tips. I don't remember having to give certain percentage, we tips according to the quality of service we receive.

As for me, when the service is really bad…I tip very little next to none….hey at least something is better than nothing. Also, I give tips only when I'm served (restaurants)...if I have to stand in line for instance: starbucks, subway, etc.....don't expect a tip from me.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Okay I just have to respond to this.
Throughout high school I worked for Jersey Mikes (a subway type place). We had a tip jar. I would normally get 5 dollars of tips for working a 6 hr shift after splitting with other workers. It wasn't much, but when I worked for barely above minimum wage, it helped... By working one night, I was able to get a dollar menu meal everyday at lunch during school. It really helped me save for my car and make it through college with my savings. I know you see people who are doing menial tasks for you and don't deserve a tip. But I see someone trying to make small talk, trying to make you happy so that you will come back... Meanwhile they just had a crappy day and barely could afford to fill up their gas tank that day. Not everyone has rich parents or the brains to do a profitable job.

Yeah south africa is rough for tips as a server. I was there for a couple weeks visiting a girly at the time (she's from USA as well) she got a serving job in Cape Town cuz i did ok with it while in college back in the states (paid for beer and skydiving :)
do they tip in france? i feel like when i was there a while back it wasnt the norm.

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

As most others here have said... good service gets good tips.. I tip bartenders and wait staff, but seeing a tip jar at gas stations etc.. that is just retarded. When i worked @ FD I did my job and nobody tipped me..
Wait staff most of the time get paid less than minimum wage anyway...
We have a jersey mike's here and they have a tip jar, like someone said though.. every bit helps.

If there is a jar, guaranteed I don't tip. It's too much like begging.

I also resent when the server says "Do you want any change?" Bring me my change, and I'll leave what I choose to tip.

I tip well and I've worked for tips. I never EVER asked for it, or acted like it's expected. Always treated it as a pleasant surprise.

This move to begging and the entitlement attitude quickly changes my normal attitude to tip well to be not at all.

For that matter, if a "tip" is automatically added to a bill, then it's not a tip. It's a service charge and part of the bill.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i also hate places where the tips are centralised, then the manager hands them out, yeah right, i bet he deems himself to have worked pretty hard that night. i tell staff to put it in their pocket, right there and then, it's them i'm tipping, not the company, and not the other staff.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

the manager of the pizza joint i used to work at was stealing tips from the drivers...
I got fired from that job for confronting him about it when I came up $47 short (he was the only one with keys to the box, so that is pretty dumb of him)
I had noticed over a period of a week or so that what I had gotten and what he was giving me did not add up so I started writing it down. He steals my money, I confront and get fired.. he gets moved to a diff store. Go figure.

Like you guys said, it is almost like begging now, like it is expected.
The problem is.. if you get shitty service and don't tip, most of those people are too ignorant to realize why you didn't tip them and just call you an asshole behind your back. (not to suggest that people who work for tips are dumb or ignorant)

China is becoming more and more capitalistic every day.

Don't get me started on that place.>:( We took a 2 week bus tour there with the kids a few years ago. Every morning they would come by with a clipboard and collect the tips for the bellhops who brought the luggage from the hall down to the bus, $1 U.S. per suitcase. We travel light, carry-on style, so we felt a little used. One morning the bell hops actually left everyone's luggage sitting in the damn hallways in the hotel, but they were sure going up and down the aisle, collecting their tips and checking off names.

At the end of the tour, the tour guides told us what they expected for a tip, too. :S They sure know about $$$$$.:S

***you dont work your arse off for them you (should) work your arse off for your boss because they are the ones you CHOOSE to work for.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I wanted my customers to be happy and have a good experience when going out to dinner... As many have said, as a waitor/waitress you generally work for much less than minimum wage-your tips are a big part of your earnings.

What are the wages for servers and bartenders there?
Here it is significantly less than minimum wage. Our standard tip here is 15-20%. And most restaurants are now being forced to have staff turn in an tips and receive a paycheck to make sure Uncle Obama gets his cut.

A tip jar on the counter at Subway or the gas station is ridiculous. They make at least minimum.

I guess it depends a lot on where you work, i haven't worked in the service industry for many years so i can't speak to what their basic wage is nowadays, but i was a waiter at a fancy restaurant for years and made a really good living.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

***you dont work your arse off for them you (should) work your arse off for your boss because they are the ones you CHOOSE to work for.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I wanted my customers to be happy and have a good experience when going out to dinner... As many have said, as a waitor/waitress you generally work for much less than minimum wage-your tips are a big part of your earnings.

If you -expect- a tip from customers
1) don't act like you do
2) earn it. :)
By the way - who earns the tip and who gets the tip?

Anecdote:
I did the dishes in a restaurant.
The manager shared the tips the waiting staff took out among all his employees but himself based on how much you had worked that month. Percent wise -your hours versus total.

A waitress got very angry about that - people who do dishes should not be included in the sharing. Only waiting staff and cooking staff if they insist - after all they at least made the food taste good.
Another argument ensued when i made sure the cutlery and glassware had water stains on them and when I refused to help her out with bartending when it was busy.
This argument was cut short when I asked if she thought that customers would tip less if they had to wait for too long or if their cutlery wasn't squeaky clean. I incidentally proved my point about the tips too B|.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom