kbordson

How do you know if you're a geek?

A couple more if you're bored. :P

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9935030990046738815

http://www.dumbspot.com/loser-test?gatherer_id=100332&gclid=CPqv97HQyJgCFQKJxgod5lDx0w

Although I didn't appreciate the picture of Bill Gates attached to the results of the 1st one. >:(

"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Just wondering.

What is your definition of a geek. a nerd. a squint.

Very roughly, my heuristic is:

• Geek: engineer-type (including computer engineers) for whom building things that actually work (for some while before exploding/imploding/crashing/igniting) is important

• Nerd: science-type for whom advancing the limits of knowledge is important

Squint is a verb.

I’m only 39% (sig figs folks) rated ‘geek’ but I think I should get extra points for having a first-author Nature paper … (& you should too if you know why that’s significant :P). I also get extra points for ‘heuristic.’ :D

/Marg

[Edit to add: why do you ask?]

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
    Tibetan Buddhist saying

21.69625% - Geek

BS. I don't know any of those game things or have anything to do with SciFi or Star Trek.[:/]

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
    If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
    That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Just wondering.

[Edit to add: why do you ask?]

I was just thinking about terms like those and wondering.

When I'm called a "geek," I occasionally point out that I have NEVER bit the head off a live chicken.:o:o:o

Also... just wondering what the positive and negative attributes of each of them are.

"Nerd" tends to have more of an "insult" quality to it.

"Squint" seems to infer an air of superiority.

"Geek" .... I dunno.

this is how

10.84813% - Geekish Tendencies:$

I only scored 29.19132% - Total Geek. I don't think the test was fair, because a lot of the options just weren't geeky enough. "I turn on my computer first thing in the morning" implies that the thing was turned off which no self respecting geek would do. "I've used my computer next to a naked member of the appropriate sex" is geekier than skipping a party to play with it.

There's not enough points for tool use and building things - we should get points for owning oscilloscopes, function generators, and soldering irons. Bonus points for building things with vacuum tubes in the last decade.

Well, as my score would imply I didn't WRITE it - just happened across it via Wikipedia when looking upn the definition of a geek;)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
    ~mom

Just wondering.

Geek - Someone who has a ton of expertise in a non-athletic subject that they do not get paid for (sci-fi, fantasy, video game). Geeks have a one-track mind. See: A Star Trek convention

Nerd - Someone who has a ton of expertise in a non-athletic subject that they do get paid for. See: Stephen Hawking

Squint - Someone whose job is in the lab sciences field, who actually spends their day squinting at things. See: Louis Pasteur

Just wondering.

Geek - Someone who has a ton of expertise in a non-athletic subject that they do not get paid for (sci-fi, fantasy, video game). Geeks have a one-track mind. See: A Star Trek convention

Nerd - Someone who has a ton of expertise in a non-athletic subject that they do get paid for. See: Stephen Hawking

Squint - Someone whose job is in the lab sciences field, who actually spends their day squinting at things. See: Louis Pasteur

Which one are you?:)
    www.FourWheelerHB.com

Just wondering.

Which one are you?:)

See above.

"I also like doing math problems for fun."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Same here. Do you like to do mental math problems or actually written? I run through the multiplication tables and if I question my answer I then check it with a calculator.:)

The strong can always afford to be gentle, It is only the weak who need to "give as good as they get."

"I also like doing math problems for fun."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Same here. Do you like to do mental math problems or actually written? I run through the multiplication tables and if I question my answer I then check it with a calculator

All kinds of math.... sometimes theoretical meandrings, sometimes stuff like figuing out how much quicker I can get to where I'm going at different speeds while I'm driving.
    "safety first... and What the hell.....
    safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

It is interesting that the qualifier "non-athletic subject" is necessary to validate. Essentially, non-sports trivia.

A Trekkie can name all the Starships.

Trivia is trivia. Sports trivia is where someone can name some obscure sports statistic that occurred in 1960 in a sport that they don't play.

How many amatuer boxers do you really know?
    The sports Geeks have an opinion though.