jpickens

First AFF, 255 lbs, what do i need to know...

And, have done the math by weighing everything which comes in at 28#'s which puts the total exit at 288# for a .09:1 or 1:1 in some cases.

Correction: I was multitasking. The correct weight was 38# for a 298# total.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Most of the big outfits like Perris have rigs that will handle you weight. Loose weight if you can but dont let that stop you. Skydiving will be a big motivating factor to loose as it was for me. In my case it wasnt just chewing cheeseburgers but a 20 yr background of bodybuilding/powerlifting.
Skateboarding falls are way worse than skydiving landings !

Most of the big outfits like Perris have rigs that will handle you weight. Loose weight if you can but dont let that stop you. Skydiving will be a big motivating factor to loose as it was for me. In my case it wasnt just chewing cheeseburgers but a 20 yr background of bodybuilding/powerlifting.
Skateboarding falls are way worse than skydiving landings !

No DZ in So Cal is going to let a 255# student jump. You clearly live in la-la land. The limit at Elsinore is 225# and at Perris it is 220#. I could look up SD but why bother?

To the OP: I weighed 195# when I did my tandem, after going to the tunnel a month later to prepare for AFF, I knew I had to lose weight. I lost 20# in 2 months and precedded to lose 20# more in the next 3 months. My weight is now 153# and never got above 160# in the last 2 years.

Fat people fall way to fast! ;)

EDIT: those rigs at Perris you mentions are called tandem rigs and are not designed for solo students.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

List of DZ that use them, or willing to accept the use of them, or have used them in the past, one would need to recheck. Anyone feel free to input more, we can make this the "If your a Anvil candidate here is the dz's you can spend your money at to learn to fly!" thread

If you unsure of what kind of gear we are talking about heres a pic http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wearesoldiers.org/parachutes/P1010039.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.wearesoldiers.org/MC4/MC4.htm&usg=__zniqBvpVdGHXm3hlR3vIKdYg5Yw=&h=1536&w=2048&sz=677&hl=en&start=20&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=j7EOYI0-1hHb_M:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpara%2Bflite%2Bmc-4%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26tbs%3Disch:1

Can be used as is with a spring loaded pc and ripcord, can be converted to BOC throw out, can be used with many AAD including Cypres, Vigil, FXC. Useful load at 1:1 ratio 360LBS I have almost 100 jumps on them. Only limitation is its not FF friendly, but majority of student gear is not anyways.

Gold Coast
Emerald Coast
Spaceland
Elsinore
West Tennessee(halo jumps home)

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

from the Reflex owners manual:

Technical Standard Order (TSO) Certification
At present, there are six levels of TSO certification in use. There are systems built under TSO-C23(B) in either low speed or standard category. There are systems built under TSO C23(C) in either category A, B, or C. As of 6/1/94, TSO C23(D) was implemented and TSO C23(C) was superseded. TSO C23(C) Parachute assembles shall be tested to minimum limits of persons 115 kg (254 lbs.) fully equipped, and up to 150 knots. TSO C23(D) Parachute assembles shall be tested to minimum limits of persons 119.7 kg (264 lbs.) fully equipped, and up to 150 knots.

REFLEX II™ Certification
The REFLEX II™ harness and container system is the first of its kind to be approved under FAA TSO C23(D). This assembly is limited to use by persons up to 124.7 kg (275 lbs.) fully equipped, and up to 150 knots. The upper weight limit was increased during testing in order to allow heavier jumpers a certified option for a harness and container system.

Vector SE is TSO-C23-B according to their own manual. that is 254lbs exit weight.

Javelin says theirs is rated for 300lbs, yet is manufactured under C23-D, which contradicts what Reflex says above.

I know for a fact that Wings will handle it, but if you call and ask, they will say NO.

Smart 250 reserve - NO, you are mistaken.
Optimum 253 reserve - NO, you are mistaken
PD 281 reserve - NO, you are mistaken

-----------------
so again, my whole point is - are you going to stand in a court of law and try to explain why you were COMPLETELY outside of the manufacturers recommendations when you are in that lawsuit?

Now go look up the definition of 'gross negligence' - because that is what they will sue you for. waiver or not.

I worked pretty fuckin' hard to get where i am today, and I am not going to risk it all for someone I do not even know. If that 255 guy wants to skydive bad enough, he will knock off 20-30 lbs.

No different than if I want to be an astronaut bad enough, I will go back to school, get my degrees, bust my ass for 10 years in research, apply for and do whatever they tell me to do to get there. But for now, I STILL want to be an astronaut - and they are NOT going to let me.....that is MY problem, not theirs.

TK

Not only should this one post be saved/stickied at the top of the instructor forum, it should be required reading and discussion for anyone getting an instructional rating.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Maybe they should. If the FAA "standard passenger" for computing weight and balance is 170lbs, then how out far out of limits is an aircraft filled with AB's?

I don't know about your pilots, but I pay attention to how heavy the jumpers are. We often limit the plane to 3 (C-182) if they are heavy (depending on weather conditions too). I know that bigger planes would be a harder situation to manage.

And no, we don't make the 3 split the cost of the 4th ticket.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Could this guy put his own rig together and show up and jump it? Surely something like a huge javelin j8 (rated at 300 pound exit weight and a 300 zp canopy) which would probably fit a 320 or 354 7 cell flik and some sort of tandem reserve would work.

No DZ in Cali will accommodate a 255lb jumper? Wow. I've personally taken students in that range successfully through an IAD course to A license in Colorado, where we are at around 5,300ft MSL. And with 100% success rate and no injuries.

I think that it's sad that a DZ, especially at sea level, would deny someone the opportunity of a lifetime -- to learn to skydive. Especially becuase there are student setups that are TSO'd for that weight range. Not to mention, some folks are just big boned and have a BMI that would not allow for health weight loss.

It's already been said, so feel free to pick your mix.

Name one

1. MC-4 military rig >:(

Rigs:
Vector (v382ish)
Javelin
Infinity
Can't find the TSO for Wings, Racer or Icon...

Mains:
PD Sabre2 260
PD 300
Falcon 300
ZP Manta 320
F111 Manta 290
Man-O-War 320
Rage 230
Icarus 229
PD Navigator 300

Reserves:
PD 281
Smart 250
Optimum 253
Falcon 300

Re-read the thread or do some investigation and you'll see that many of the choices you listed will NOT work for a 300 lb exit weight. In addition I would suggest that you study the effects of altitude density on the maximum operating limitations on parachute equipment.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Sorry, I left a few off the list...

1. MC-4 military rig [Devil]

Rigs:
Vector (v382ish)
Javelin
The "Odyssey" was tested under the FAA TSO category C 23 (d), meaning that it was dropped tested to weights in excess of 300 lbs
Infinity
The Talon FX is being re-certified to the latest TSO C23d standards. It will be rated to 150 kts and 325 lbs.
The Telesis 3.0 adjustable articulated harness configuration has been certified under TSO C23d and is rated at 325 lbs max weight and 150 knots

Mains:
PD Sabre2 260
PD 300
Falcon 300
ZP Manta 320
F111 Manta 290
Man-O-War 320
Rage 230
Icarus 229
PD Navigator 300
Pulsa 260
Pilot 210

Reserves:
PD 281
Smart 250
Optimum 253
Falcon 300
rMax 268
rMax 288

Feel free to do your homework here

As to DZ altitude density - no argument.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sorry, I left a few off the list...

1. MC-4 military rig [Devil]

Rigs:
Vector (v382ish)
Javelin
The "Odyssey" was tested under the FAA TSO category C 23 (d), meaning that it was dropped tested to weights in excess of 300 lbs
Infinity
The Talon FX is being re-certified to the latest TSO C23d standards. It will be rated to 150 kts and 325 lbs.
The Telesis 3.0 adjustable articulated harness configuration has been certified under TSO C23d and is rated at 325 lbs max weight and 150 knots

Mains:
PD Sabre2 260
PD 300
Falcon 300
ZP Manta 320
F111 Manta 290
Man-O-War 320
Rage 230
Icarus 229
PD Navigator 300
Pulsa 260
Pilot 210

Reserves:
PD 281
Smart 250
Optimum 253
Falcon 300
rMax 268
rMax 288

Feel free to do your homework here

As to DZ altitude density - no argument.

Most of these are not appropriate for an AFF student with an exit weight of 300pds. And I think you would have a hard time finding the exact combination of gear that is left.