Are there any con's to having colour coded lines?

Skydivers have been writing phone numbers on freebag bridles for close to 30 years now.
How many freebag bridles have failed?

How many free bag bridles have to supoort a persons weight on shock loading?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The history of color coded lines goes way back. Some early ram air canopies before they had any kind of reefing (rings and ropes or sliders) used a locking mechanism to soften the openings. You'd pull the ripcord and the canopy would go to line stretch but remain closed until you reached up and pulled the usually "red" colored line that released the canopy to further inflate.

Frank Mott, a long time and still active So Cal Master Rigger, still has one of these canopies and he'll let you jump it if you want. It's in a gut gear rig so don’t bother asking if you don’t know what gut gear is . . . LOL.

In modern terms color coded lines first appeared on BASE canopies made by Basic Research and some other BASE gear manufacturers in the mid-90s.

In skydiving a lot of early pro packers gave themselves lineover malfunctions on the ground and things like color coded lines and a contrasting center cell color do help. People who scoff are just showing their own ignorance . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

There are a limited number of companies that manufacture the various suspension lines that are being used. I have seen black and blue dacron but it was a special request. Something I have noticed on Aerodyne mains such as the pilot is that the attatchment points are colored by groups (i.e. A line attatchments a blue, etc. ect.).

There are a limited number of companies that manufacture the various suspension lines that are being used. I have seen black and blue dacron but it was a special request. Something I have noticed on Aerodyne mains such as the pilot is that the attatchment points are colored by groups (i.e. A line attatchments a blue, etc. ect.).

Yeah - I took a packing course on a regular canopy and rig, and it took me ages to get the hang of which lines to move where. Then I started packing my canopy (pilot 188) - then it all made sense. Want the brake lines? No problem - purple.

I could probably do it without them now, but damn, it sure helps me being inexperienced. :)

> It's in a gut gear rig so don’t bother asking if you don’t know what gut gear is . . .
I know what gut gear rig is.
A gut gear rig is a rig that requires serious guts to jump it!!!!!!!! B| B| B|
It's an old and teared off beaten rig that you can jump only if you have got serious guts!!!! B| B| B|
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com