Nataly

Would you give up everything?

When I was young I did the "everything into the truck, new job, new state, new marriage.B|" It was some of the best times of my life. 25 years later, much more stuff, and a lot of responsibilities, no, I wouldn't/couldn't do it. Although we have some changes ahead in our lives, we're quite happy doing what we're doing.

Now living a couple of years in So. France might tempt me to change my mind. B|

Where do you want to go?

I don't really want to go back-packing or sight-seeing. I'm more inclined to do something like climb a mountain or cross the desert or any kind of thing that is physically challenging & will take me on a spiritual/emotional journey. I want to clear my head a little. Right now I feel like I'm just running to stay *on* the treadmill.. There's nothing satisfying about my life.

If you dont think backpacking can open you mind and take you on a spiritual journey, your backpacking in the wrong places.

Backpacking around the world or a part of it can offer you everything you say that you want and then some.

BUT i would say that looking for something outside of you to satisfy your life will probably not work very well if at all.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you dont think backpacking can open you mind and take you on a spiritual journey, your backpacking in the wrong places.

Backpacking around the world or a part of it can offer you everything you say that you want and then some.

BUT i would say that looking for something outside of you to satisfy your life will probably not work very well if at all.

I just mean that I don't want to wander around aimlessly. I did that when I was younger and I really didn't enjoy it. I take satisfaction out of *doing* stuff like hiking or cycling - I don't do that when all of my time is at the office or studying.. I don't want to "find myself".. But I want the journey to mean something to *me*. So backpacking isn't gonna be it, unless there's some kind of purpose or theme or goal involved.

I used to be in wicked physical shape and all that activity isn't possible in an office job. Period. I want to do something different, that will incorporate a physical element to it. My whole lifestyle changed when I took an office job and I hate it. I need a big change in my life so I can learn to re-appreciate how good it is. I've slowly but surely moved more and more *away* from what makes me happy and I need to get back to it.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I used to be in wicked physical shape and all that activity isn't possible in an office job. Period. I want to do something different, that will incorporate a physical element to it. My whole lifestyle changed when I took an office job and I hate it. I need a big change in my life so I can learn to re-appreciate how good it is. I've slowly but surely moved more and more *away* from what makes me happy and I need to get back to it.

Same way I feel since becoming a sales rep after being in an agricultural (winemaking) environment for many years. There's a possibilty for me to move to Tanzania now as part of operations for grain farms - I've very little experience in grain & won't be able to take much with me but a few books & my rig, but if the cards are put on the table, I'm going.

Existing & surviving doesn't count as living. Follow your heart & live life :)
Squeak's sig line is the best medicine ever! I also want to be able to say "My life rocks!"

Edit: spelling
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

That sounds like it would be cool B|

My ex and I were talking about dropping everything for an adventure for *years*, but whenever I was ready for it it was bad timing for him and vice versa. I've been thinking about it a lot the past couple of months.. Ever since I heard about The Best Job In The World back in January (my entry never got uploaded on time because the computer kept crashing >:()..

Anyway, it's early days.. I will only have my passport in 8 or 9 months.. But it's nice to know I actually *can* do it.

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

If you're going to do this, definitely do it before you have children. Reasons are pretty obvious.

The home mortgage is not an unbreakable tether; you can always lease the property to tenants. Not that there aren't down-sides to doing that, but it's doable. The point is, selling the house is not a prerequisite to doing this.

Having a passport that gives you access through Europe is good, too. But if one facet of your agenda is potential career opportunities in Europe, the more languages you speak, the better. (However, French and English aren't a bad start.)

I'll parrot what others have been telling you in various threads: For Christ's sake, stop talking about your ex-SO already. You need to move forward. In that regard, storing your worldly goods with him would be a bad idea, unless your unstated (and perhaps un-admitted) agenda is to maintain an ongoing link to him. If that's the case, then I fear you're setting yourself up for further heartache. I hope that's not the case.

I'll parrot what others have been telling you in various threads: For Christ's sake, stop talking about your ex-SO already. You need to move forward. In that regard, storing your worldly goods with him would be a bad idea, unless your unstated (and perhaps un-admitted) agenda is to maintain an ongoing link to him. If that's the case, then I fear you're setting yourself up for further heartache. I hope that's not the case.

Wow. No one has been so mean as to actually say "for Christ's sake stop talking about your ex-SO already". I'm sorry if my heartbreak is so annoying to you, but I am trying to move forward.

I think you missed the point entirely. This has nothing to do with any agendas..

I said I *could* leave stuff at the house I still own if I wanted to leave only temporarily, but that's not what I'm looking for anyway. I fail to see how getting *rid* of all my wordly goods and traveling equates to me having an agenda about my ex??

I want to *do* something that will be some kind of physical/spiritual journey... I don't have a hidden agenda about career opportunities in Europe, but I will need to make money somehow, and that's so much easier with a UK passport.

I speak 3 languages, btw - English is my second.

Sheesh!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

So backpacking isn't gonna be it, unless there's some kind of purpose or theme or goal involved.

Check out the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails in the US. Each is over 2000 miles long, and lots of people take 4-6 months off of life to thru-hike them. It's backpacking in the more extreme American way - carrying everything you need on your back and sleeping in sleeping bags instead of beds. Trail life and culture are awesome; some very interesting people choose to do very long distance hikes. You can read journals/blogs from some of them on trailjournals.com

As for the stuff - why not hire a property management firm and rent the house out furnished, with the rest of your stuff packed away in a locked closet? Yes, you risk having your stuff damaged but you'd be getting paid.

In 1988, at the age of 20, I quit university, packed one suitcase and moved from France to the US, where I lived for 17 years!
In 2005, at the ripe young age of 37, I packed 2 suitcases (did take my laptop also), gave up a job paying over $200k/year, a company provided sports car, and the ability to skydive every week end to move to China. Haven't regretted it once.
I don't think it has anything to do with age, furniture, or jobs. It's a frame of mind.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

So backpacking isn't gonna be it, unless there's some kind of purpose or theme or goal involved.

Check out the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails in the US. Each is over 2000 miles long, and lots of people take 4-6 months off of life to thru-hike them. It's backpacking in the more extreme American way - carrying everything you need on your back and sleeping in sleeping bags instead of beds. Trail life and culture are awesome; some very interesting people choose to do very long distance hikes. You can read journals/blogs from some of them on trailjournals.com

As for the stuff - why not hire a property management firm and rent the house out furnished, with the rest of your stuff packed away in a locked closet? Yes, you risk having your stuff damaged but you'd be getting paid.

Ohh, that's an idea..

The house is a bit complicated. I don't live there anymore, and a lodger is covering my half of the mortgage. Sadly I still have a 100% legal obligation toward the mortgage it if this arrangement ever goes tits up.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to cut my financial/legal ties to this place until it can be sold or I can be bought out, but I would like to get rid of pretty much everything else.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Just sounds to me like you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Seems like you just need a little balance in your life.

Remember, Rum Runners cure everything!:P

Bleurk - I can't stand rum!! :S Even the smell of it.. :S Hot cocoa with marshmallows, on the other hand.. Mmmmmmm!!!

It's not so complicated.. It's something I've dreamed of for years and now I am actually in a position where I can do it. :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Did it twice and I don't feel I am any better for it.In fact in hindsight a bit less better off in all ways
Just me though

Bry

In what ways? (If you don't mind my asking.)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Sheesh!

Sorry if you were offended, but I think you've missed the point of my post entirely. This may be a classic example of a miscommunication because the message is not oral, but in writing, where nuance and inflection are more easily misinterpreted and/or mis-conveyed. If you review posts people have made to you recently, a few other people have already pointed out that you tend to frame so many of your issues in terms of how they relate to your ex, or just that you mention your ex a lot, and they urge you to move on. My point was simply reiterate and support those prior posts.

You know, you do tend put yourself out here, in these public forums, with some extremely personal information and discussions about yourself, asking people to give you advice and opinions on these very personal issues; but occasionally, like now, you seem to recoil when you get some extremely personal responses from people. Another example of this is the one thread where you clearly asked men to PM you pics of their "packages", and then you started another thread complaining that some of those responses were over the top. (Not a perfect comparison, but it makes the point.)

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you're being naive. The simple fact is that it's the nature of internet forums that when people solicit opinions about their personal issues, they certainly get them; and those opinions are often blunt and not sugar-coated. Whether you receive those opinions with a thick skin - and are reflective, or a thin one - and are reactive, is up to you.

This may be a classic example of a miscommunication because the message is not oral, but in writing, where nuance and inflection are more easily misinterpreted and/or mis-conveyed.

Yep - can't argue with you there.. I think written communication doesn't always read the way you intended.

If you review posts people have made to you recently, a few other people have already pointed out that you tend to frame so many of your issues in terms of how they relate to your ex, or just that you mention your ex a lot, and they urge you to move on. My point was simply reiterate and support those prior posts.

Can't disagree with you there, but would like to point out that although everyone else may have been annoyed, they at least were polite / supportive, whereas you certainly came across as more abrasive.

You know, you do tend put yourself out here, in these public forums, with some extremely personal information and discussions about yourself

Also true, and that's just me. I don't mean to offend anyone by it, and I expect that in sharing something people won't always react in a nicey-nicey way. That being said, nobody likes a personal *attack*, and sometimes responses certainly come across that way.

Another example of this is the one thread where you clearly asked men to PM you pics of their "packages", and then you started another thread complaining that some of those responses were over the top.

This was an isolated case where someone made me feel very uncomfortable. Perhaps if you read the PM's that I and a couple of girls received from this guy you would better understand why I started the second thread.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you're being naive. The simple fact is that it's the nature of internet forums that when people solicit opinions about their personal issues, they certainly get them; and those opinions are often blunt and not sugar-coated. Whether you receive those opinions with a thick skin - and are reflective, or a thin one - and are reactive, is up to you.

I think this is another case of writing not being the best form of communication. To me, that last quote above certainly comes across as a personal attack. I feel it's natural of me to respond. You do seem to have taken a personal disliking to me for some reason - which is entirely your business, really. I don't think it's naive of me not to want to be personally attacked.

By all means, give me opinions and feedback and question what I say.. But a little bit of niceness isn't such a bad thing.. You of course don't *need* to sugar-coat responses, but equally, calling someone naive IMO is a little unnecessary.

I don't really know you, so I'm not in a very good position to *judge* you on the basis of what you post on here.. I think the opposite probably applies as well, no?! :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

please do not forget you do not need to treat them like you think they are stupid.;)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Five dollars, one change of clothes, and an alarm clock.

Holy cow - that's brave!!!

How did it work out for you?
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I'm afraid you're still being very thin-skinned, and seeing demons and ill-intent where they simply do not exist. I'm not going to get drawn into a back-and-forth with you; nothing productive can come of it. I wish you well in your journey through life.