Amazon

Angels and Demons Trailer

Both books were mediocre at best. All of Dan Browns works are that way, they are a decent waste of time but the concepts are not new at all and he just rehashes others thoughts into a standard action format book.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I agree...the book was mediocre at best! The movie can only improve the silliness.

But the 'skydive' scene was even worse! Spoiler alert? He grabs a tarp and uses it as a parachute to jump out of a helicopter!!!

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

" ... But the 'skydive' scene was even BETTER! ...
... He grabs AN ANTIQUE RUSSIAN PARACHUTE to jump out of a helicopter!!!

"

corrected it for you.

There is a second skydiving connection with Angels & Demons. Hint: I have packed his reserve a few times.

" ... But the 'skydive' scene was even BETTER! ...
... He grabs AN ANTIQUE RUSSIAN PARACHUTE to jump out of a helicopter!!!

"

corrected it for you.

There is a second skydiving connection with Angels & Demons. Hint: I have packed his reserve a few times.

The rest of the movie was not too bad...

But the skydiving scene...... eeesh

Both books were mediocre at best. All of Dan Browns works are that way, they are a decent waste of time but the concepts are not new at all and he just rehashes others thoughts into a standard action format book.

I only read/watched The Da Vinci Code.. I'll admit that the book was a real page-turner.. But since I don't ever read those kinds of books it's impossible for me to compare my reaction to it versus reading an accountancy manual or financial newspaper!!!

My biggest problem with the book was that it felt like it was written by someone who was incredibly knowledgeable on his subject-matter but who didn't have a strong command of the English language. This for me was a real deal-breaker. I didn't think it translated especially well to the screen either.

What PhreeZone said about the books is bound to apply to this movie as well: "mediocre at best".

Not that I could do any better!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

The author is a good storyteller. . . but he believes that symbology is legitimate enough to require a major at Harvard.

I would describe his works as: "Goonies" for the conspiracy-loving adult.

I couldn't finish the first few chapters from a borrowed copy of "angels and demons".

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The author is a good storyteller. . . but he believes that symbology is legitimate enough to require a major at Harvard.

I would describe his works as: "Goonies" for the conspiracy-loving adult.

I couldn't finish the first few chapters from a borrowed copy of "angels and demons".

Meh.. I just couldn't get past the poor writing from a purely technical standpoint. But it's just my opinion - hats off to the man for selling like a bezzilion books!! He's doing *something* right!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I have read all of Dan Brown's books. He's no Robert Ludlum, but I enjoyed reading his books. I'm actually looking forward to reading The Solomon Key when it finally is released. I am actually a little surprised to hear that so many people dislike his work! :S But to each his own!

The DaVinci Code movie was not up to par for me, but that's not unusual. I generally tend to prefer books over the movies. (Yes, I'm a book nerd!) :P

Exceptions are the Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter movies. I thought those were done exceptionally well and true to the books, and enoyed watching them equally as much as reading the books.

I will probably wait for Angels & Demons to be released on DVD before I watch it, like I did with The DaVinci Code.

I am "ROGUE" (III Degree Smutsketeer)
Official "poster above you" thread starter

"And don't forget we like men with balls and no needle dicks. So, basically, you're out." ~LuckyMcSwervy

I will probably wait for Angels & Demons to be released on DVD before I watch it, like I did with The DaVinci Code.

They do change a few points in the movie... I believe it was an attempt to better appease the church considering the uproar that the DaVinci code caused. I think that using the book version of the end twist would have just ... well... it wouldn't have made friends.

It was a fun movie though. :)

Meh.. I just couldn't get past the poor writing from a purely technical standpoint.

I'm with you, Nataly. I couldn't finish the book because I disliked the writing style so much. For me he's one of those authors who tries to create excitement through excitable writing, which leaves me cold - his corny 'cliffhanger' chapter endings in particular really put me off. I guess the hype was a factor for me too because it added to the disappointment.

Funny that somebody else mentioned Robert Ludlum since for me he's an even worse offender!

The authors I really like create atmosphere with a lot more economy. Ian McEwan, Martin Cruz Smith and Robert Harris come to mind.

All that said, Mr Brown is the best-selling millionaire and I'm not, so... :|

Sorry, that's all pretty off-topic. I haven't seen the Da Vinci Code and I'll give Angels and Demons a miss unless it gets rave reviews. I like Tom Hanks but he's not enough of a draw.

spoilers below - I'm simultaneously talking about the flick and the book.

The helicopter scene as described in the book was a huge disappointment to me.
IIRC Langdon grabs a door of the (already exploded?) helicopter somehow and uses it as a parachute.
This is what got me thinking - I noticed that Brown goes to great lengths to implicate a certain character while at the same time making it clear that a certain second character could never be the villain. Then, miracolously, the second character is the Evil Genius after all. Who dunnit? Just look for the least likely character apart from the lead character.
Unfortunately, I had already bought Digital Fortress and that "polar extraterrestrial life" story (can't even remember the name) so I decided I might as well finish them. The same formula applies there, and in retrospect it also does for the da vinci code.

Being a complete barbarian, the cultural aspects of Angels and Demons just whooshed by me - it all looked plausible enough. I had the idea Brown did his research thoroughly but overlooked several details (like the skydiving) and made some hugely ignorant blunders with respects to those details, completely destroying his credibility.
When she was watching the film, my GF on the other hand (who'd never read the book) had the entire 'path of Illumination' figured out by the time the second cardinal was killed. According to her, the carabinieri simply needed to guard Rome's biggest attractions to solve the case, instead of going on that wild goose chase. She even predicted that the Church of the Illuminati would be in the 'Angel's Castle' (sorry - I was watching the subtitles)
Her literally translated words: "Wow - I can be a professor in symbology too!"

In the movie at least the parachute the camer...cama...Father McKenna used looks like a bailout in a bad light - it saved to movie for me. Furthermore, Langdon stays on the ground, eliminating the necessity for a ridiculous improvised parachute.
This even had me entertaining the possibility (for about five minutes) whether Father mcKenna was actually allowed to be the hero.

As to the extremely intelligent and competent assasin using the actual car his contact supplied for him to make his getaway....WTF - of course the car is rigged. Totally unbelievable act of stupidity.

Still, all in all I enjoyed watching the movie - it was much, much better than the book.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom