CanuckInUSA

Sacrifice jumps to drive a race car

Would you sacrifice jumps in order to drive a race car for a day? I did and I do not regret the experience. In fact if it was cheaper I think I would like driving race cars all the time. But if you think skydiving is expensive think again. If you think flying is expensive think again. Auto racing has to be one of the most expensive things one could do. But wow, there is nothing like getting strapped into a car and becoming one with the car.

Well hold on, freefall is pretty cool and even though I am not current I will always look fondly back on my swooping endevours. :)

Here are some pics from my day of driving a Formula Renault car:

http://www.nogripracing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=58256

http://www.nogripracing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=58255

http://www.nogripracing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=58254

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yup.

I did the Mario Andretti racing school in Vegas last year and it was amazing. Talk about an adreneline rush!
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

How fast did ya go?

I went 156.5 at Atlanta. It was scary fast, I was white knuckled the whole time. I am of the opinion those races are fake now, there is no way they can go that fast, that close to each other and not wreck every lap.
It was worth every penny of the $300.00 I paid to do it. B|

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

But if you think skydiving is expensive think again. If you think flying is expensive think again. Auto racing has to be one of the most expensive things one could do. But wow, there is nothing like getting strapped into a car and becoming one with the car.:)

Well, if you are going to do it in a Formula 1 car (or even a very close mock-up of a Formula 1 car), yes; incredibly expensive.

But just as with other sports, there are entry level classes that are very affordable. At a couple of the tracks I used to go to all you needed was an old sedan, a welder, a torch, and a couple hundred dollars to get started. All of the classes are great fun because the thrill is in going as fast as you can in close proximity to each other. Even 50MPH seems damn fast when you are bumper to bumper and side by side.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

But if you think skydiving is expensive think again. If you think flying is expensive think again. Auto racing has to be one of the most expensive things one could do. But wow, there is nothing like getting strapped into a car and becoming one with the car.:)

Well, if you are going to do it in a Formula 1 car (or even a very close mock-up of a Formula 1 car), yes; incredibly expensive.

But just as with other sports, there are entry level classes that are very affordable. At a couple of the tracks I used to go to all you needed was an old sedan, a welder, a torch, and a couple hundred dollars to get started. All of the classes are great fun because the thrill is in going as fast as you can in close proximity to each other. Even 50MPH seems damn fast when you are bumper to bumper and side by side.

You are correct but even some of the mid level race car's like Sprint, IMCA, and latemodel's have $30,000- $50,000 motor! And if you win a feature race you have to be willing to sell that motor for any were between $500 & $1,000.[:/]If someone want to buy it after you win. I love dirt track racing and used to work on a couple of pit crews. Talk about high tech rich rednecks!:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I went 156.5 at Atlanta. It was scary fast, I was white knuckled the whole time.

I did not go that fast. We probably hit about 110-120 mph at the end of the moderate straight. I do not know, these cars do not have speedometers. The Formula Renault car just shows your RPMs, what gear you are in and the engine temperature. Our day started off slow and we slowly worked our way into faster speeds as we were instructed to follow certain RPM limits on certain laps (plus the cars have engine governors for students like myself, they do go faster for more experienced drivers). The sad thing was at the end of the day I was only starting to get a feel for how to drive the car fast around the corners, but then the day came to an end.

What is cool though, is that the cars were hooked up to capture MoTec telemetry data as well as GPS and in our post track briefings it was funny listening to some students trying to tell the instructor:

I didn't exceed the maximum RPM limits we were told to adhere to.
I didn't brake late into the corner.
I was following the instructed driver's line through the course.
Honestly I hit the turn apex as instructed.

LOL ... all this data (engine, suspension, braking and tire telemetry) was being logged with GPS thrown in to show exactly where you were on the track when you did any sort of car control input. As an example it showed the instructor whether or not the student was blipping the accelerator on their heal-toe down shifts. It was good stuff. I can see how this MoTec data helps the RL race car drivers/engineers become faster and faster in their cars and being strapped into the car with the 3 point harness and becoming one with the car was rather cool too. But very bumpy, the seats are minimal, the cockpit is tight and you feel everything on the track.

My highest speed was 149 in Vegas. No instruments in the cockpit but they measured our times and speeds from the track. They put a coach in the car in front of me and told me to stay on his ass and we would slowly build speed throughout the 7 laps. If i stayed on his ass he would continue to pick up speed and if i dropped back so would he. No braking until it was time to pull into the pit. That was kinda scary going into my third turn after building up some speed.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

My highest speed was 149 in Vegas. No instruments in the cockpit but they measured our times and speeds from the track. They put a coach in the car in front of me and told me to stay on his ass and we would slowly build speed throughout the 7 laps.

Cool 149 is fast (I have been about 145 on a motorcycle).

We did "lead-follow" in the morning sessions but the instructor wasn't going fast. The goal of our "lead-follow" was to learn the driver's line. But in the afternoon they kicked us out of the nest and most people (not all) did follow the "do not exceed this RPM" limit. One dumb ass did crash his car off of a chicane and it screwed everyone else up because the course was Red flagged after the crash. It was an expensive day for me, but even more expensive for the dude who crashed since we were liable as students to pay the $2500 deductible on any damages to the cars and he totally messed up the front end of the car he was driving.

I voted "yes" and would have voted "hell yes" had the option been available.

My first several years in the sport, skydiving was ALL I did other than work and work out. Every penny earned at work was spent on some form of skydiving or other. Every free minute was spent in the pursuit or execution of skydiving. I saw myself as immersing myself in an experience that was beyond anything else imaginable in God's creation. I looked at all the whuffos and wondered if they had any idea what they were missing.

Now, call it the wisdom of years or whatever, I've realized that by dedicating myself so completely to an albeit-worthwhile pursuit that I barred myself from so many other experiences. My life today, although so much busier than it ever was, is also so much richer because I choose to skydive LESS. I still skydive, but I also SCUBA dive with my wife, I play ice hockey at times, I volunteer with a fire department and a (separate) rescue squad. I'm finishing up my fourth degree (that'll be enough for a while, I really hope) and still try to find time to read a decent book once in a while (refer to the Shantaram thread).

Sorry to take away from the testosterone-laden thread of max speeds and RPMs and crashes. I just wanted to say that I wholeheartedly agree that, while skydiving is without a doubt still one of my greatest loves, I fully understand the enjoyment that can come from spending time not skydiving.

Elvisio "sorry I got long-winded" Rodriguez

My first several years in the sport, skydiving was ALL I did

Been there done that. :$

Sorry to take away from the testosterone-laden thread of max speeds and RPMs and crashes.

No worries ... this is DZ.COM and anything (well almost anything) goes.

I recently bought a Dodge SRT8. I received a letter in the mail a couple of weeks ago informing me that I now have the opportunity to drive in a thing called the "SRT8 Track Experience". It's to be held at Richard Petty's driving school in North Carolina in July, and it's FREE!!! There are four driving modules to it - Autocross, Full Throttle Challenge and the Challenger Challenge and Performance Drive. It is all a part of the owner's package when you buy a new SRT8. I get to drive a 600 hp Viper SRT10, a Charger SRT8, and Challenger SRT8, a Chrysler 300C SRT8, a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and a Caliber SRT4. It also includes a catered breakfast and lunch. Past SRT8 owners and non owners are invited to participate for $500.00.

This ought to be fun....

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I don't understand ?why do you have to sell your motor ? Please explain....[:/]

To keep people from changing races from driving events to spending ones there are often engine claim or exchange rules. In theory when you think some one's win (or top 5 finish) was due to spending and want the same advantage you can have their engine for a nominal fee or trade it for yours.

JohnDeere's claim is that to be competitive in those classes you have to spend the money and potentially loose it.

At the very least, a $500 cash claim doesn't pay for much more than a junkyard motor you've freshened up in your garage.

I used to drag race my Yamaha at the local track on bracket nights. Lots of fun, go real fast, not much $$$. A lot of my coworkers were racing cars in Pro stock and higher. One bad run could trash $5000 worth of engine. :S And they used to ask me in amazement how I could skydive because it was so expensive. :D

I used to drag race my Yamaha at the local track on bracket nights. Lots of fun, go real fast, not much $$$. A lot of my coworkers were racing cars in Pro stock and higher. One bad run could trash $5000 worth of engine. :S And they used to ask me in amazement how I could skydive because it was so expensive. :D

$5K for an engine?!?! How many decades ago was this? I worked in the business (chassis/suspension/roll cages) until '00. Back in the later 80's, Dave Northrop (if you've followed NHRA prostock the last few years, the name is familiar) was a customer of ours & I did a little work on his Comp car. It was only a V-6 engine. I'm sure the short block cost more than $5K back then. Even in the later 90's bracket racers I know were paying $8-$10K for a 700HP big block Mopar (long block). Believe it or not, the GM/Chevy stuff wasn't really that much less $$ either, you just had a bigger variety of suppliers.

Yes, I agree with the spirit of your post: You can drag race, & be competitive, for as little or as much as you want to spend. There have been plenty of bracket champions who win regularly in their family cars.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

JohnDeere's claim is that to be competitive in those classes you have to spend the money and potentially loose it.

That is correct. It helps keep everybody as competitive as posiable. It helps the people that dont have as much money as the next guy to compete with the guys that unlimited money. Think wealth redistribution!:D

At the very least, a $500 cash claim doesn't pay for much more than a junkyard motor you've freshened up in your garage.

Sure in the mini stock and in some street stock class's But not in most of the upper class. You get into the limited or sprint class and some imca's those motors are worth alot more!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Kinda reminds me of some of the formula 500's I have seen autocrossing. I hear those things can go pretty fast on a nice straight. However because it is MR you need to be careful on the slow sections, so you don't spin yourself out
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192