SSHusky

taxation venting!

Beware I am a bit ticked off!
So I just got a letter from the state of Ohio claiming that I did not pay a particular school district tax in 2007. Well they are right... I didn't. You know why? BECAUSE I DIDN'T LIVE/WORK THERE THEN!!!!!!
So although they have no proof that I lived in this city, Ohio, I have to prove where I lived and what school taxes I paid... So I have to prove that I lived in two locations that year... In a city in ohio that is about 1.25 hrs away from said city, and a city in Arizona.
Now although I am a very busy woman, working essentially two jobs while planning for a wedding that is beyond stressful, I must prove to them that I didn't live there. I don't understand how they can think that I did. I lived in said city the next year and paid for those d*** school taxes that year, so they "knew" that I lived there for the year before!
WHY can't they just leave me alone? I pay all my bills and taxes. Why are you trying to squeeze more money I don't have and they don't deserve!
Okay rant over...

My guess? It probably comes down to one of two things; a person with a similar name as yours that is a deadbeat OR a person that lived in that city that very subtly used your identity for something.

Either way, it's in your best interest to get this looked into. You might not want to be mad at them, you might actually want to be grateful for them bringing what could be a much more serious issue to your attention.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have a feeling we will be seeing alot more of this type of stuff now. I just got audited by the IRS. also they sent me a letter saying i didnt clame some income from a couple of my builders and say i owe $15,000 that i already paid for 2006 taxes. I paid the taxes and they are trying to collect them again>:( Dumb fucking IRS!

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

So I just got a letter from the state of Ohio claiming that I did not pay a particular school district tax in 2007. Well they are right... I didn't. You know why? BECAUSE I DIDN'T LIVE/WORK THERE THEN!!!!!!

Don't waste your time proving to them that you didn't live there. Just flat out tell them that you didn't live there, and that if they think otherwise, it's up to them to prove that you did. And until they do, you insist that they cancel this bill.

Put the ball in their court. Make them do all the legwork to prove their case. When they can't, they'll realize their mistake, and drop the matter.

Don't waste your time proving to them that you didn't live there. Just flat out tell them that you didn't live there, and that if they think otherwise, it's up to them to prove that you did. And until they do, you insist that they cancel this bill.

Put the ball in their court. Make them do all the legwork to prove their case. When they can't, they'll realize their mistake, and drop the matter.

That is the WORST advice in history.
If you ignore them, they will start putting liens on your assets and destroying your credit. In the time it took the OP to type the post complaining, a copy of a cable bill, phone bill, or whatever could have been copied with a short response.
When dealing with taxing authorities, you don't "put the ball in their court".

Problem is that I don't exactly keep every bill I ever had. In AZ i didn't have cable or a land line... All I had was electricity, and luckily I was able to dig through the boxes and find a bill... Now I just need to find proof of my other residence that year in Ohio... I will give them the information, I am just a bit ticked off that I have to do it. It seems that with no proof they can accuse me of this and I have to take time out of my day to prove to them that I am not trying to avoid paying their stupid school taxes.

Problem is that I don't exactly keep every bill I ever had. In AZ i didn't have cable or a land line... All I had was electricity, and luckily I was able to dig through the boxes and find a bill... Now I just need to find proof of my other residence that year in Ohio... I will give them the information, I am just a bit ticked off that I have to do it. It seems that with no proof they can accuse me of this and I have to take time out of my day to prove to them that I am not trying to avoid paying their stupid school taxes.

Coming up with something - anything - that you can give them to show them where you lived shouldn't be too tough.
I know the kind of emotion and response these types of correspondence tend to bring to the surface, but try to understand you are not being accused of anything. Something in their computer system triggered this and your response will be the first time a human being on their end will have seen it. It will be easy to resolve and you can just move on.
PSA - When dealing with taxing authorities, you are on the clock. Taking the stance that you will "put the ball in their court" and "make them do the legwork to prove their case" is absolutely the wrong way to handle these things. If you take that position, you will continue to be on the clock accruing interest and penalties and there is a word for "putting the ball in their court" and "making them do the legwork to prove their case" and the word is audit. It is not the way you want to go when you can solve the problem with a bill and a letter.

PSA - When dealing with taxing authorities, you are on the clock. Taking the stance that you will "put the ball in their court" and "make them do the legwork to prove their case" is absolutely the wrong way to handle these things. If you take that position, you will continue to be on the clock accruing interest and penalties and there is a word for "putting the ball in their court" and "making them do the legwork to prove their case" and the word is audit. It is not the way you want to go when you can solve the problem with a bill and a letter.

So in the case of the Owing or not of taxes it appears to be the only time that you are guilty until you prove your innocence... (because of the dreaded AUDIT!!!)

As she has stated... the problem is not that she can't prove she didn't live in the residence in question... It's that they are accusing her without any proof themselves... and it's time that we don't want to have to take to deal with something we shouldn't have to deal with.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

So in the case of the Owing or not of taxes it appears to be the only time that you are guilty until you prove your innocence... (because of the dreaded AUDIT!!!)

As she has stated... the problem is not that she can't prove she didn't live in the residence in question... It's that they are accusing her without any proof themselves... and it's time that we don't want to have to take to deal with something we shouldn't have to deal with.

Again, its not criminal court. There is no accusation and no innocence or guilt. There is something in the taxing authority's computer system that is different than the information that the taxing authority's computer system has received from the taxpayer. That is generating a notice. A notice is not an accusation of guilt, it is a notice that changes have been made to the taxpayer's information. If the taxpayer believes the notice is incorrect, the taxpayer has the opportunity to respond and correct or clarify the information that generated the notice.
Its pretty simple really - the computer says this is what I have and this is what you gave me. This is what I'm proposing to do and this is your opportunity to respond. Generally speaking, these type of notices are very easy to resolve.

The OP is being notified that they have the opportunity to avoid an audit, and also being notified about what the specific piece of information is.

Frankly, while it's a pain in the ass (I've been there, and it is), it's way less hassle than an actual audit would be. When it happened to us, it was really quite easy once we finally located an employee of the now-closed company that my husband was accused of working for. They didn't need any official letterhead or anything; we just talked to this nice waitress and got her to write and sign a letter, providing her SSN (I think) and a phone number and address where she could be contacted.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It seems a "failure to file" notice is at least a little accusatory (I never claimed it was a criminal accusation...) and despite the fact that it is "...very easy to resolve." it still has to be resolved... and it shouldn't have to be...

I realize you are talking legalese... and that Guilt and innocence are particular terms... but although it may be simple to rectify... and it may not be an actual accusation... it feels like it is (which is the intention because it scares people more... if it feels that way)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I am convinced that some of people who work in the taxation field have taken these jobs because they have sociopathic tendencies. I say this after being through 3(three) property tax appeal hearings. I get the feeling that some of these people have a deeply imbedded desire to have a small but irritating bureaucratic power over other people in some passive aggressive way.

Also they resent any citizen who has the conackers to stand up to them.

Just breathe, imagine you are confidently standing in the door of the aircraft when you are dealing with these bureaucrats and file the necessary paperwork. Like any appeals process the burden of proof is on you unfortunately. Have all related proof and paperwork in order. And from my experience they WILL push the envelope of ethics, conduct, and their own meaningless oath they took- to determine you wrong if they sense that you are in any way less than subservient to them.

I say make them work for every penny-

but if all else fails pay the small minded fuckers their pound of skin, happily go about your life with your new family and remember that in the end it's only the reaper who settles ALL debts and scores.:)
and don't forget to smile....it burns their ass that they can't take that from you!

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Something in their computer system triggered this and your response will be the first time a human being on their end will have seen it.

What bugs me the most is I believe the only thing that could have triggered this computer is the fact that I lived and paid for the city taxes for 2008. A red flag goes up saying that I didn't pay in 2007...
Alas... BECAUSE I DIDN'T LIVE THERE in 2007!!!

Credit report? Maybe if you are lucky something started there might show up.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln