mdrejhon

Need to buy my own rubber bands. Also, I need an easy "broken rubberband remover" technique.

Hi,

I need to buy appropriate rubber bands for my stows for the bag in my Vector 2 / Sabre 170 so I can stop double-stowing my lines (especially the lines beyond the two locking stows). My dropzone only has the bigger tandem-compatible rubber bands, and everyone seem to use them and double-stow where needed.

However, I need the smaller rubber bands for safety reasons. Should I buy them directly from Performance Designs (Sabre 170) / Relative Workshop (Vector 2), or can I just go to Staples Store/Business Depot? (Note: I'm using the ordinary lines, not micro lines. I got this rig used.)

I've been using a pen tip to pry away broken rubber band stows by ripping them off with the pen tip. (And breaking a pen occasionally). What is a good safe broken rubber band remover, that also minimizes risk of accidentally damaging the canopy (from an accidental slippage and goring the canopy by accident, trying to remove a broken rubberband stow).

So:
(1) What is the best, safest place, to buy the smaller rubber bands?
(2) What is the best, easiest safe way to remove broken rubber bands? I don't want to wear my hands out trying to pull them out with my hands alone. They get sore just in a normal jumping day, especially with packing.

Yes, these are newbie-ish questions. I only started packing at around jump #60.

ParaGear: Rubber Bands

The one-pound box of "short" rubber bands will last for quite a while, and you will never have to beg and borrow from others again. In fact, they will be begging from you...

A seam ripper is small, stows nicely in a drag mat pocket, and does the job quick and easy. Just be real careful not to cut the attachment loop while trying to remove the rubber band. And keep your flesh and your canopy out of the path of the tip in case you slip or jerk. It's sharp enough that you can just use a gentle push to cut the rubber, so you don't have a horrible accident.

I'm not too keen on that seam ripper John.. looks like a mishap waitingto happen...

Just use your closing pin...

I've used a seam ripper for years and have never had a problem with them. The bottom side and tip is smooth and as long as you use some common sense and don't jam the tip into the bag, you shouldn't have an issue. Of course a spoon in the wrong hands is an accident waiting to happen too. :ph34r:

Edited to add: I wouldn't "overbuy" on the rubber bands as I have found that after a few years, they can start to break a lot easier than they do when they are new. I just tossed out a batch I bought 4 years ago for this reason.

To get broken rubber bands off, DON'T try to break them off by pulling them as tight as you can... that just makes it harder. Dig your closing pin into the knot wherever you can until knot is centered on the pin.... put your index finger and middle finger behind the pin on each side of the knot and pull....comes right out every time. Keep sharp pointy things away from gear/skydivers.

Oh, and buy rubber bands at your DZ...chances are they sell em...everybody needs them. Buying them online is ridiculously expensive when you have to pay for shipping.

Dave

I used to use my closing pin. It was a pain with that. I started using an utility knife. It needs just a gentle touch on the surface of the rubber because it has some tension inside. You have to be really left handed to damage your canopy, because you have the rubber bands on the d-bag.

Be careful! You make slice and dice your D-bag and or your fingers. ;)

Hey, thanks for the tips in this thread. I got my answers.

The closing pin is too blunt to even fit under the very tight rubber band. I need something easier, so I may investigate a seam remover and do a dry test run on it on the bag (without canopy) to see if it's safe to use. I'm going to avoid knives, but the seam remover seems within my margin of tolerance. Most of my broken rubber bands occur before I bag the canopy anyway.

At only $8 for a one pound bag, I'll over buy anyway just in case I jump more often than expected. Besides, it's good karma to give them out to others who ask ;)

The best way I have found is using a pull-up cord to cut thru the rubber band with friction. Run the cord through the loop the rubber band is attached to. With some speed and tension you should be able to remove the rubber band with 1-2 pulls across.

It is much faster than using the closing pin, and no there is no need to keep a seam ripper handy.

For Great Deals on Gear

Don't be fooled, stitch pickers are quite dangerous. If you are going to use a stitch picker, make sure you pick away from the bag and that the pointy end of the picker is clear of any fabric. I think using a stitch picker is as dangerous as using a knife. I use the pull up technique. It works for everyone I know.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Don't be fooled, stitch pickers are quite dangerous. If you are going to use a stitch picker, make sure you pick away from the bag and that the pointy end of the picker is clear of any fabric. I think using a stitch picker is as dangerous as using a knife. I use the pull up technique. It works for everyone I know.

Think hard enough and you can find something wrong with anything. Aren't you worried about wearing out the band loops on your D-bag over time with the constant friction from the pull up cord?

Aren't you worried about wearing out the band loops on your D-bag over time with the constant friction from the pull up cord?

Sure. I try to be carefull when I have to do it.

However, a minor slip with a stitch picker will instantaneously destroy more than the small piece of tape on the d-bag.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

I have never had much of a problem picking them out by hand.... If I come to a stubborn one then I use my closing pin... Guess I never thought I needed a special tool to do it.

Seems like a waste of money and a danger to the canopy / d-bag.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

A friend of mine sometimes sells a special tool he makes on german ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13363&item=5210613550
The tip in the one side is to remove old Rubber bands sort of like a pen tip does, but it doesn't break.
The hook side is to put new rubber bands on, with the hook you can pull the rupper bands thight enough so that they have a big enough loop right when you first use the new rubber band.
Its made of stainless steel.

Maybe thats what you are looking for.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

I wouldn't "overbuy" on the rubber bands as I have found that after a few years, they can start to break a lot easier than they do when they are new. I just tossed out a batch I bought 4 years ago for this reason.

That's true - they get weak or brittle with age. Buy only what you can use in about a year, and then refresh your supply.

At only $8 for a one pound bag, I'll over buy anyway just in case I jump more often than expected. Besides, it's good karma to give them out to others who ask ;)

It's also fun, when every time you hear that "snap" sound of a rubber band breaking, you can reach into your pocket and immediately throw the victim a new one. Everyone will love ya'!

I keep a small rubber band ball in my pocket. When someone needs one, I throw 'em the ball, tell them to peel off what they need, and then throw it back. It's a handy way to keep a small supply available, without having them tangle up in your pocket and get mixed up with coins. And it's fun to throw a rubber band ball around the room. It has been known to get out of control... Beware!

Aren't you worried about wearing out the band loops on your D-bag over time with the constant friction from the pull up cord?

Nope, because with a little bit of experience, you'll know when you're almost through the last layer of rubber. A quick tug at that point and the offending band comes apart without any hassel. Since I have my Pull up cord in my hand to tie my risers, it's just a quick trip to the canopy to grabt he bag and remove any offending bands. It's a real lifesaver when you're trying to get rigs ready for impatient JM.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Purchased 1 pound of rubber bands from ParaGear, along with stuff I've been wanting to get (a hook knife, a closing pin to add to an existing bead necklace, a new set of Sorz goggles when mine gets scratched up).

That tool from Germany looks interesting. Is that tool sold anywhere in a store? In the meantime, I'll need to inspect a stitch remover and judge whether it's dangerous or not.

Come to think of it, there are other alternatives. The removable tip of my old medium-point soldering iron is a perfect shape and not too sharp to be able to puncture D-bag fabric material. ;)