skymama

Sightseeing suggestions between Tucson and San Diego

My dad asked me to ask my "pot-smoking skydiving buddies" (:ph34r:) for vacation help again. He doesn't understand your passion for skydiving, but he thinks your vacation advice is great!

On this trip, he and my mom will be visiting his Marine Corps buddies in Tucson and wants to drive up to Camp Pendleton and visit sites in between. He knows he wants to check out the Frank Lloyd Wright house, "Taliesin West" in Scottsdale, but that's it so far. They'll have about 2-3 days to sightsee, but they can fit into 2 days what most people fit into 4 days.

Thanks for your help. The more you all help, the more I can be online during the workday and not get in trouble. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You mean other than Eloy? :P
Scottsdale isn't really between Tucson and San Diego, but if he's going to be in Phoenix there is all kinds of stuff to do and see around town. It realy depends on what type of stuff they want to do, ie. Outdoorsy stuff like hiking (depending on what time of year), "indoorsy" stuff like art museums or shopping, going to nice restaraunts or great hole-in-the-wall type places, etc.

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

Lil' Abners Steak House in Marana.
If they go to Phoenix I highly recommend this place...
http://www.hallofflame.org/
And in San Diego the USS Midway aircraft carrier is a great sight. And then they can come by my house and have lunch with one of your hippy skydiving pals.;)

And if they like to hike I recommend a trip up Picacho Peak by Eloy.

I think my parents might wander in a park but they're probably not going to hike. They have places to go and things to see, so they won't stay in one place too long. They definitely won't go to Eloy. :ph34r: Oh, and the timing is late September if that makes a difference.

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think my parents might wander in a park but they're probably not going to hike. They have places to go and things to see, so they won't stay in one place too long. They definitely won't go to Eloy. :ph34r: Oh, and the timing is late September if that makes a difference.

Well, it is still pretty hot in AZ in late Sept. so most outdoor stuff should be done early morning.

Just about anywhere, the sunrise will be spectacular.
The sunset comes up second.

Not sure if they are going TUC->SD via PHX or straight across.

I'll 2nd the Pima Air Museum, steak place in Marana and the Yuma jail.
I'll add in
Felicity - Center of the World
Sand Dunes west of Yuma are impressive. It's where they filmed part of Stars Wars.
Pichaccho(sp) Peak
some Indian Burial ground outside of Coolidge
U of A probably now has a memorial for Dick Scobee
Sonora Desert Park/museum
There's a tourist trap thing of the old western movie sets just outside of TUC.
Patton Park off of I-10 - lots of WW2 army toys, near Chiraco Summit
Joshua Tree
Palm Springs - lots of things there - air museum, sky ride thing, golf
all the obvious SD things Sea World, Wild Animal Park, SD Zoo etc. There is a dog park on Coronado Island that is a cool (literally and figuratively) place to be.
And do not forget that the museum in Balboa Park has the 'famous Smithsonian' skydiving exhibition.
They have to get us updated pics on that.
Downtown SD has a Gaslight district for the tourists. restaurant row etc

I'd also recommend carrying 5 gallons of water when crossing the desert and drive at night, early morning or late afternoon.
Gas up on the AZ side of the border because it is cheaper.
Quartzsite on I-10 and Yuma on I-8. Take the most western exit in both cities.
Watch for speed traps on the CA side 20 miles of the border.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hi skymama,
When your dad gets to San Diego just follow I-8 to the bitter west end into "Ocean Beach" and out to Pt. Loma. There's the Rosecrans Military Cemetary at the end of the point and you can see all of Coronado, San Diego and on a good day to Mexico. Quite the sight. I guess you can call it the far end of America. I used to live in "OB" back in the early 70's, 'heard it hasn't changed much.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Not far from Tucson and Tombstone (which is a total tourist trap) is the great hidden town of Bisbee Arizona. Very cool place, with some nice B&Bs to stay in....

I’ll second the recommendation of Bisbee. In addition to the B&B's, I found a lot of history there.
Tombstone is fun to go to if your folks like Americana kitsch (I do) or just to say you’ve been there.
If they’re going to be in that area, I highly recommend Kartchner caverns, which is north of Ft Huachucha.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

There's a nuke missile silo in the general area that gives tours (all below ground). Pretty interesting. You get to go into the control room and also see the missle in place in the tube. The entire facility is mounted on giant springs and shock absorbers in case a nuke hits nearby. http://www.thepepper.com/tucson_titan_missile.html

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Wow, these are all great suggestions from everyone. Thanks! B| I'll especially tell them to bring the extra water, I don't think they would have thought of that.

To get a listing of events that will be going on around the time your parents will be passing through, check this WEB SITE. It has something for everyones tastes.

San Diego has tons of things to do. Web site here
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING