shropshire

Help with Netbook selection ... please

Hi Peeps, I'm in the market for a new small laptop (Netbook) and would like to hear your reccomendations please.

I've looked at the EEEPC 1005, Samsung NC10 and the Dell mini-10 (which I prefer, so far because of build quality).

All advice greatfully received...

P.S I already have a couple of Laptops but need a smaller (10") 'toy' for travelling.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I don't know about small netbooks, but I would not trade my 13' Macbook for anything. That thing has been on more airplanes than most people. Lightweight, compact, fast and .....well, its a Mac! :)

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Hi Peeps, I'm in the market for a new small laptop (Netbook) and would like to hear your reccomendations please.

I've looked at the EEEPC 1005, Samsung NC10 and the Dell mini-10 (which I prefer, so far because of build quality).

All advice greatfully received...

P.S I already have a couple of Laptops but need a smaller (10") 'toy' for travelling.

I've got an Advent from PC world and it is the first netbook I have owned (cost about £230). It has a 120GB hd, and is reasonably fast with about 2 hours of battery life - running XP. I get occasional screen resolution warnings. I made the mistake of intending to do "serious" work on the netbook and heavy duty programs (in my case Matlab) are so slow they are worthless. The sound from the built in speakers is poor but useable, and the webcam that is built in I have never used so no comments. It is over a year old and has stood up to abuse including being transported under the seat of my bike regularly (this was my primary buying option originally as I got sick of needing a back-pack just for my laptop).

If I had to make the choice again I would:
1) Go for the cheapest possibly with a solid state disk for the higher reliability
2) Either spec linux or put linux on from day 1 for the better performance.
3) Not put anything other than email/internet and office/open office on the netbook. Happy to have a video playback (BBC Iplayer) on the netbook even on XP it performs ok.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I have an inexpensive HP with a close-to-full-size keyboard. Go for the big keyboard. I'm not all htat happy with the performance, but I'm not all that unhappy wiht it either.

Overall, I can't believe I waited so long to get a netbook. I love having it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I got the Mini (model 1030, I think -- all the paperwork is very HP Mini generic). However, in looking at my last post, obviously I'm not all that used to the keyboard yet. Those are pretty egregious typos :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I got the Mini (model 1030, I think -- all the paperwork is very HP Mini generic). However, in looking at my last post, obviously I'm not all that used to the keyboard yet. Those are pretty egregious typos :P
Wendy P.

I actually kind of disliked the HP Mini's keyboard; if you're talking about the NON-bevelled keys.

I preferred bevelled keys (Asus 10" eeePC, Acer Aspire One 10"), or chiclet keys (Sony, eeePC 1000HE) for better keyspacing. I touchtype MUCH FASTER on those keyboards -- I don't accidentally press two keys simultaneously as easily, even if the keyboard is slightly smaller than big flat keys with near zero key spacing (like HP's Mini).

That said, after 5 minutes, I was able to type fast on HP Mini. I do, strongly prefer bevelled keys, or the big gaps between slightly-shrunk chiclet keys (Apple/Sony style); they are actually less typo-prone in pressing two keys accidentally the same time.

The real test of a netbook keyboard is trying to touchtype on it, without looking, and finding out how many errors you make in the first 5 sentences you type. There's a dramatic difference between many netbook keyboards. (I really disliked the original eeePC 8" netbook keyboard, or rectangular keys, non-square keys are a PITA!)

The 1030 keyboard looks big, and good for peek-and-poke with big hands, but touch typists -- do a go on all the keyboards first, and the HP may actually not be the best keyboard because of its bevel-less design.

That's a really, really good point. I am mostly a touch typist (I look at the screen, so my fingers are in the periphery), and yeah, I do notice that it's easier to miss the key.

So -- anyone wanna buy an HP mini so I can go get one with a better keyboard?:)

Wendy P.

I don't know about small netbooks, but I would not trade my 13' Macbook for anything. That thing has been on more airplanes than most people. Lightweight, compact, fast and .....well, its a Mac! :)

i know you said it's not in your budget, but i've never been disappointed in my mac. i still think it's worth it.

I have the NC10. I like it for the larger keypad and 6 hours of battery life. I did quite a bit of research and the NC10 had some of the best ratings from various sources. It feels well built verses some of the the others I tried.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I did it .. I bought a Dell Inspiron 10.10 (in Cherry Red:)
It's going to take me a while to get used to this keyborrd a d tarcker pad ... but it's an O.K toy (much easier to cart around than our other lappy).

Thanks everyone for your input.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Kinda gay colour, don't ya think??? :D:D:D
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

...says FAG 11... :P

HEYYYY!!!!! >:(
Being a FAG are completely different..... :D:D:D
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

...says FAG 11... :P

..FAG #1 chiming in here..

look, man, skydiving is ALL about being FAG, if you're no FAG, you're not a proper skydiver and your flying abilities must be non-existent. at minimum, you'll suck at geeking the camera, you'll look bad in even the best exposure and well.. you JUST CANT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY..

wait, you only managed 50 jumps in 13yrs!? you cant even be called a skydiver anyway, right!? :o:P:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

wait, you only managed 50 jumps in 13yrs!? you cant even be called a skydiver anyway, right!? :o:P:D

That's what I'm told in SC, anyway... :P

first SC, then bonfire.. whats wrong with you!? :P

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda