shah269

Got titanium?

femur rod here.

the only time i ever beeped was when i was on crutches at the airport. I think they are set to not see medical grade titanium or something.

nope. metal detectors usually work via magnetism. titanium (in fact, most metals that don't contain iron) is only very, very weakly magnetic. therefore, no beeping.

Titanium like other non-ferrous metals are not ferromagnetic. So normally, a magnet will not be attracted to them. But, if you induce an electric current through them, they will have a magnetic field.

Metal detectors, induce an electric current in metals through the use of induction. When the metals have a current flowing through them, they will have a magnetic field surrounding them and then they can be detected.

Metal detectors are tuned to ignore metal objects with a small cross section so that they don't alarm on small pieces of metal.

titanium, aluminum, carbon fiber...I get stopped every time. It's unavoidable I'm afraid. :|

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I have a lot of titanium, but it doesn't go off at the airports. I have a few pounds in a rod for my femur, a plate and screws in my arm, some wires in my heart...

Nothing goes off at the airport, so I didn't vote on your poll :P

But YES, I AM PART OF THE TITANIUM CLUB! :P

CReW Skies,
bubbles

"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Titanium?:D
Rod with two screws in my right Tibia
Rod with four screws in my left Tibia
Plate with two screws in my neck C4-C5
4ga curved barbell below the belt
2-10ga captive bead rings on my chest
:P

And this is worth quoting!

Seriously, this is a sport in which we pretty much laugh at broken legs because we know what really sucks are ash dives.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

A plate and 12 screws in my right tib from when I used my Mad Skillz to swoop into the side of a parked C-182. Not titanium though: My insurance was shit, I got some rusty iron that they found in an old shipyard[:/].

I've only set off one walk-through metal detector, that was in Cartagena Colombia. The wand-style ones go off if I pass them over my leg.

I got nuthin

Well as the OP I should state I have a 13in rod in my right tib + 2 screwes. I'm thinking of going back but I also hope never to have another broken bone.
Not much fun. And I hate being a bother to people.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Hay I did get two free drinks due to my injury so it isn't all bad.
But not being able to take a glass of water from the kitchen to the coffee table does suck!
I really hope that I won't have anothr broken leg.
I kow the odds are 50/50 at best but...I hope to take as many classes and try and jump smart.
That's if I go back... [:/]

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Hu...now that you put it that way.... :)
Man I just want to get down safe. I have a bike for doing 100mph at 2ft off the ground.

For sure!
In the bike forum the same % of people have titanium parts.

Had most of it removed from my right ankle. All that remains is a 4 inch scar and some screws -oh, and a slightly enlarged ankle, but nobody notices unless they see the scar first.

No it wasn't from skydiving. Any metal from skydiving injuries was applied externally in brace form for me anyhow...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

nope. metal detectors usually work via magnetism. titanium (in fact, most metals that don't contain iron) is only very, very weakly magnetic. therefore, no beeping.

Metal detectors work fine on non-ferrous materials. If they didn't I'd have a hard time triggering traffic lights with my bicycle that's nearly all titanium and aluminum with stainless steel spokes. Non ferrous conductive materials also do a fine job creating magnetic fields. If they didn't speakers with aluminum voice coils wouldn't work.

Metal detectors create a magnetic field which induces eddy currents in all conductive materials. After that they can look for losses, look for decay times in pulses, or look for the magnetism resulting from the eddy currents.

Some metals can be ignored intentionally due to phase response.

I don't set off walk-through detectors, although hand-held wands notice my tibial nail.

I assume that the walk-through types have transmitter coils to induce the currents and receiver coils which activate the alarm when a certain level of change in the pickup from the transmitters is observed. The wand styles would just have a transmitter coil and activate the alarm when a noticeable change in the tx current is noted.

Obviously it's more complex than that, but I'd imagine that the basic concept is something along those lines.
I got nuthin

Left little finger has been held on with 2 screws for 15 years.

...and after knarly get off at Glen Helen Raceway a few years back, I had a left wrist re-build. [plate, screws, pins, wire and a Bone replacement to the end of my Radius]

I also broke the right one at the same time but no metal for that... although going to the toilet was difficult for a while. :o:$

BP
:)

:D My GF's grandma [:/]:$:$

You learn to do alot with your teeth dont ya B|

That was the 2nd time I had done both arms.

The 1st time I did it I had a job interview the next day, followed by jury service for 4 weeks. I did not get the job but I went down a storm in the courts. :D:D

BP
:)

Yep,The teeth come in handy on those occasions;):D:D:D

At least one arm was only a half cast on my part the other went all the way to my armpits:|

Bry

Did you actually go to the job interview in cast??:o

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)