GratefulDreamer

Guner Vs. Mindwarp...

I know that there are threads about this topic already, but things have changed a little bit...

Both the Guner and the Mindwarp now cost $195.00 and from what I have seen on the website pictures the Guner no longer has a seat belt type clasp but one like a mindwarp...

So taking into account all this new info give me some opinions on how they compare because I have only tried on a mindwarp and I am very curious as to how a Guner fits and looks.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it! :)
-Tammy, Pink Mafia Sister #190
Pink Mafia Tunnel Sister #20

Try one on, see if you like it.

At the end of the day, from Bonehead a helmet is a helmet (generally speaking), pick the one that fits your type of skydiving and you like.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The Guner is the most comfortable open face helmet I've ever tried on - and I've tried on most all of them. It's also the quietest open face helmet I've ever jumped, almost as quiet as my full face. imho it looks kinda funny with the bumps on the ears but the comfort factor outweighs the looks factor for me.

The only downside that I see to a Guner is that it isn't designed for mounting a camera on the side (due to the bumps). But then again, I'd recommend getting a helmet specifically to set up for camera instead of adding a camera to your only helmet when/if you decide you want to do video (there will be jumps that you won't want to carry the camera on; if your only helmet has a mount attached...)

But then again, I'd recommend getting a helmet specifically to set up for camera instead of adding a camera to your only helmet when/if you decide you want to do video (there will be jumps that you won't want to carry the camera on; if your only helmet has a mount attached...)

thanks for writing that, Lisa. Good to know.

Ahh..I just went through this exact decision. I chose the Gunner! You are correct that the chin strap closure is now a plastic clip, with a thread through cushion padding. The minute mine arrived I was not happy with it. It was big and uncomfortable. So...whatcha think I did???;)

Called Linda @ Bonehead and had a metal seat belt style shipped out. The 1st one got lost in the mail. Still hasn't arrived. I contacted Linda again, and within 2 days (talked to her Monday, on Wednesday it arrived) and I had it.

The installation on it is a bit of a pain...but man, what a difference in comfort, simply on the chin strap.

I tried on a few pimpdaddy's/mindwarps/z-1 evo, etc...and the GUNNER one was 10x better IMO. Comfortable, sweet lookin'....can't go wrong...my review is also in the gear section.

Hope this helps!

My guner has the "seatbelt style" clip on it, and I need to get rid of it... [:/] I already almost lost my helmet on one jump, about 1500 feet into the freefall I felt the helmet lifting off my head, spent a few thousend feet trying to re-buckle it, wasnt able to, so then spent the rest of the jump holding a helmet on my head... It kinda ruined the dive plan :| Lost my cushin thing that was on the strap too.. Happy I didnt loose it, dont really have the money for a new helmet and audibles to throw around right now :D

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ahh..I just went through this exact decision. I chose the Gunner! You are correct that the chin strap closure is now a plastic clip, with a thread through cushion padding. The minute mine arrived I was not happy with it. It was big and uncomfortable. So...whatcha think I did???Wink

Called Linda @ Bonehead and had a metal seat belt style shipped out. The 1st one got lost in the mail. Still hasn't arrived. I contacted Linda again, and within 2 days (talked to her Monday, on Wednesday it arrived) and I had it.

The installation on it is a bit of a pain...but man, what a difference in comfort, simply on the chin strap.

I tried on a few pimpdaddy's/mindwarps/z-1 evo, etc...and the GUNNER one was 10x better IMO. Comfortable, sweet lookin'....can't go wrong...my review is also in the gear section.

Hope this helps!

I'm glad you are happy with your Bonehead. They have long been known for excellent customer service.

I'm not sure I understand what was wrong with the helmet when you first received it. Was the chin strap too long? Why didn't the helmet fit well?

For anyone looking for a helmet, if possible, try some on first. Different brands and models fit differently. It works out pretty well, actually, cause no one seems to have the same shape head! Just bear in mind that the one you think looks the coolest may not be the one that fits you the best. (I recomend good fit over cooler looks)

For Great Deals on Gear

Sorry, guess I didn't make that too clear....my "issue" was simply with the chin strap that came with it helmet originally. In all the advertising that was out at the time (para-gear catalog/websites/etc) it was shown with the seat belt style chin strap. So I was under the impression that's what I would get with my order. What arrived was a plastic clip with a thin piece of pad threaded through the strap. It was large and uncomfortable. It (the chin strap/pad) covered from my chin to the middle of my throat...just was really uncomfortable.

So the helmet fit wasn't the problem. It fit great, and even better when baked, it was simply the comfort of the chin-strap. .

I do agree with you, trying on as many as possible was the key for me. Like I said previously I tired the Gunner, Pimpdaddy, Z1-Evo, etc...and the gunner's comfort/fit was what sold me.

The Gunner and Mindwarp are now nearly same. The Gunner has and audible pocket on both shides, the mindwarp only on the right.

Not true. The mindwarp has pockets on both sides as well.:)

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Thanks everyone all of your information was very helpful!

I have decided to go with the Mindwarp and I can't wait for my bonebond to mature next month. I'm going to be looking so cool B| in my new bonehead...no more pro-tec for me....:D

I totally have to change that pic
-Tammy, Pink Mafia Sister #190
Pink Mafia Tunnel Sister #20