normiss

Internet ADS!!! wtf?

So I forgot my keys today...and I surf with Firefox Portable on a thumb drive..isolated from the computer, no history...and NO ADS!!!
How do you guys tolerate this shit????
dizzie.com
facebook.com
meebo.com

sweet Jebus save meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:(:D:D:D

The ones here aren't that intrusive, except for the stupid Subaru one>:(.

I figure that they pay for it, so I leave them up.
I even click on them now and then to keep the "click through" rate up.:o

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So I forgot my keys today...and I surf with Firefox Portable on a thumb drive..isolated from the computer, no history...and NO ADS!!!
How do you guys tolerate this shit????
dizzie.com
facebook.com
meebo.com

sweet Jebus save meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:(:D:D:D

Thats the cost of having many sites free. Bandwith hardware, software , support all cost money.

It either a pay system or a free system with money comming from ad revenue.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

How do Web site operators make money from ads? Is it based on the number of times an ad is downloaded to a browser, the number of times the ad is clicked, some combination thereof, or something different?

The reason I ask is that different types of ad blocking can work differently. Some avoid downloading the ad to begin with, while others download ads, but don't display them.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

How do Web site operators make money from ads? Is it based on the number of times an ad is downloaded to a browser, the number of times the ad is clicked, some combination thereof, or something different?

The reason I ask is that different types of ad blocking can work differently. Some avoid downloading the ad to begin with, while others download ads, but don't display them.

It all depends some times its the number of page views, The number of time the ad is served to a unique visitor, the number click throughs or a combination of all the above.

Many of the ad blockers take the source code of the page and eleminate the code that calls up the ad making th epage load sightly fast but not serve the ad.

I have looked at the numbers of some websites and see firefox users having thousands of visits to a page but pulling only 20% of the ads as other browsers. This leave 80% of visitors being served content using bandwith and not generating any revenue. I don't know any business model or website serving free content can continue to keep that up if they don't have another source of income.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Many of the ad blockers take the source code of the page and eleminate the code that calls up the ad making th epage load sightly fast but not serve the ad.

Thanks. :)
As I understand, CSS based blockers (which are not typically used by Firefox, IIRC) download the ad content, but doesn't display it. I was curious about whether such an ad blocking method was less harmful to ad based Web site owners.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I thought the Outback Detergent ad was annoying, but this flashing one is giving me seizures.

And they say change is good.

Give me Sangiro's Synergy or Dropzone circa 2000 any day.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I have a question concerning advertising;:|

WTF is a Macchiato? Can't anyone just say coffee anymore?

well, because it's not! a LATTE macchiato is an espresso with frothy milk..

not that you americans knew anything about a proper coffee anyway! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

>not that you americans knew anything about a proper coffee anyway!

:DWhat? you mean Starbucks didn't invent all those crazy concoctions?

I'm from the land of espresso but I don't drink the stuff because I don't like running around like Speedy Gonzales all day. And since I don't inhale the Gange anymore I can't properly counter its effects. What I'm talking about is the instant goop people add to coffee thats adsvertised here every six minutes lately which is making me nuts.:S

you guys get different ads obviously; but i hate the ones that make some sort of noise if you move the mouse over it.. but hey, it's only at work, at home i'm having an ad-blocker installed.. so, i'm kinda cool! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I have not seen a single add on this website except for banner adverts, ever.

Same here. With the exception of the Outback detergent ad, which doesn't appear anymore and the banner at the top, I never see any advertising at all.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.