NealFitz

your favourite mythbusters??

i dunno if this topic has been covered before i know there have been some skydiving myths or other myths involving skydiving covered on this forum. like last nite i seen the pennies being released in freefall to try and prove the ESB penny myth. anyway anyone out there have a personal favorite?? mine is when they test the phone book myth- if you interlock all the pages of the Yellow pages with another yellow pages can you pull them apart- it took two tanks connected to it to rip it apart :D
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

I haven't seen many of those shows - but if they approach everything in the same way as they did the Point Break skydiving myths, then I mistrust their bust myths (try saying that quickly!)

But that's the trouble with 'pop science', I guess - too much pop and not enough science!

I think my favorite is the "do girls really fart" when they made a special pair of panties for the girl on the show to wear...:D

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I haven't seen many of those shows - but if they approach everything in the same way as they did the Point Break skydiving myths, then I mistrust their bust myths (try saying that quickly!)

But that's the trouble with 'pop science', I guess - too much pop and not enough science!

The Point Break one was a bit over the top. They usually do a pretty good job of explaining the science behind it.

I like the early (first season) better, but they are still a lot of fun.

I have more fun with the silly banter (How do you attach a microphone to a duck? Duck tape!).

My favorite "guest" is retired FBI explosives guy Frank Doyle. (While the junior mythbusters were mixing nitroglycerine: "Why are you standing over there Frank? Because I don't want to blow up")

Off the top of my head:

Exploding Pants
Cement Mixer
Blow Up My Parent's Car
Hot Water Heater
Tow Truck Cable
Are Elephants Afraid of Mice?
Getting Out of a Sinking Car (that was really creepy)
JATO on a Chevy Impala (both the one in the first episode and the revisit)

All Time: Chicken Gun Revisit.
After proving that there isn't any more energy in a frozen chicken than a thawed one, they came back to it in a later episode and made their own reinforced windows and found the penetration of the frozen one was way more. The expression on Adam's face (they didn't show the damage until later) was priceless. "Well, that's definitely a result".
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The Point Break one was a bit over the top. They usually do a pretty good job of explaining the science behind it.

I like the early (first season) better, but they are still a lot of fun.

I have more fun with the silly banter (How do you attach a microphone to a duck? Duck tape!).

My favorite "guest" is retired FBI explosives guy Frank Doyle. (While the junior mythbusters were mixing nitroglycerine: "Why are you standing over there Frank? Because I don't want to blow up")

Off the top of my head:

Exploding Pants
Cement Mixer
Blow Up My Parent's Car
Hot Water Heater
Tow Truck Cable
Are Elephants Afraid of Mice?
Getting Out of a Sinking Car (that was really creepy)
JATO on a Chevy Impala (both the one in the first episode and the revisit)

All Time: Chicken Gun Revisit.
After proving that there isn't any more energy in a frozen chicken than a thawed one, they came back to it in a later episode and made their own reinforced windows and found the penetration of the frozen one was way more. The expression on Adam's face (they didn't show the damage until later) was priceless. "Well, that's definitely a result".

I love the pancaking car one. I think it's also the one where they try and tear the top off a car by driving it under a truck and test the myth of the car in the desert from the commercial, where they drop the car from a helicopter and then outrace the falling car with the car on a dragstrip.

The two episodes that my s/o appears in. B|

Oh wow! :)Which ones were those?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Which ones were those?

The skydiving ones. He got face time on two of them and did background stuff on another. Threw the dummy out of the plane a couple times (we have a few pieces of the dummy's guts around here somewhere), did video on some of the jumps, did the rigging for a camera on a car that went in and served as an in-plane safety guy.

Guns and explosives are always fun, as well as smashing things.

But there's also the cerebral episodes. Like the one that takes the principal of dimples on a golf ball, which supposedly makes it more aerodynamic so that it will fly further. Then they applied that theory to a car, by covering it with modeling clay and scooping out dimples all over it. And by gosh, much to everyone's surprise, it actually DID get better fuel mileage!

I can't wait until GM adopts this new fuel-saving technique, and starts offering dimple SUV's.

The two episodes that my s/o appears in. B|

I was gonna say "all the ones they filmed at Skydance/iFlySFBay." B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I thought Scottie was hotter, but then again she is a welder... ;)

I don't specifically have a favorite myth, but some of my favorite moments are:

Dynamite cement removal (they blowed up that truk real good, yuk yuk yuk...).

Plane on a conveyor (who else would do that full size just to stop the idiocy & faulty mental masturbation).

Mentos & diet Coke (messy food fun and science, does it get any better).

The only issue I've ever had that they didn't go back & address again was trying to replicate the scene from the movie AMERICAN GRAFFITI where the cop car's rear axle is cabled to a post. The movie car is a 1961 Ford. The car they attempted to replicate the stunt with was approximately a 2001 Ford. Each car's rear suspension system is different & unique, therefore their results are invalid. If they'd at least used a car with a leaf-spring rear like the original, then I could have accepted their results. Trying to yank the rear out of a car with a trailing-arm coil spring rear isn't the same as trying to yank the rear out hung on leaf springs.

BTW, they almost got that right when they did "drive shaft pole-vault."

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.